Thread: Anyone have keystone jacks in their home?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Anyone have keystone jacks in their home?

Anyone have keystone jacks in their home?
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Yes, cat6 RJ45 for the phone sockets, easily converted to computer use, was primarily used to run a secondary wireless AP for upstairs.

Type
    INTP
    I think I'd get air conditioning first.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I was going to use one for a USB Jack that connects to one in another room so I can keep a printer and computer in separate rooms and connect them but I decided to use a jack with a "New brush style opening" and just run a normal cable through the wall. That will make it easier to figure out what's going on and easier to upgrade to new cable even if the brush thing looks weird.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    INTP
    Yes I have whole house ethernet, phone and cable via keystones. Nothing special about it other than it allows you to configure a data access panel as you wish.

Oh and I have a keystone HDMI in the theater room to connect to the projector. I get all my jacks at Monoprice for cheap.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I just got my brush plates!

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    I just got my brush plates!

Stig's entire house is set up with cat 6. I visited to help him run all the cables and punch in the keystones. It involved lots of time in a hot attic. My marfanesque hands are perfect for fishing cables through firebreaks, and it helps when undertaking a project like that to have a sibling who speaks your "twinspeak." We even installed a wall mounted server cabinet with battery backup (internet during power outages!). He's got keystone jacks all over the house...several in key rooms.. I want to say we put 6 of them in the entertainment room, and we ran keystones into ceiling jacks next to the ceiling mounted wifi transmitters. It's a beautiful thing. One day I may spring for the mats to do my house, but my house is very old and has a very difficult attic with old school fiberglass, etc., so it would be a much more difficult prospect.

In my house, I've fished flat cat6 in under the carpets. When I get around to putting in better flooring I'll probably have to come up with something else.

In my office, I get faster speeds wireless than with cat 6, but I have high end wifi router and receiver and a dedicated 5ghz channel that only my computer is on which gets priority over the other two channels (5ghz and 2.4ghz) that all the handheld devices and whatnot are on.

My husband and coauthor LAN in a room that gets crap wifi, but have two priority ethernet ports that get priority over the tvs and other devices so they don't have slowed or lost packets when they game. So far we've had no internet speed conflicts in the house.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle