Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transcendental Meditation

Type
    xxxx

Transcendental Meditation

Has anyone tried TM?

It seems like the difference between mindfulness meditation and transcendental meditation is that the former uses breath as an anchor and the latter uses mantras. I do want to try it out but maybe at a time in my life where I'd be willing to shell out $1k for the course.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Peddling a trademark meditation technique is preposterous. I'd get indignant but they only target rich people anyway.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    xNTJ
    Just smoke some DMT.

Job done.

Type
    INTP
    I find it dismaying that both Seinfeld and Lynch push for the TM mony-grab secret-knowledge cult shit.

I've tried mindfulness meditation maybe a few times and didn't feel much different. I get more out of taking a nap.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

I doubt there's anything special about TM, just pick a simple mantra like "om" and repeat it mentally for 10-15 minutes and gently return your focus to it whenever you wander. It's worth a try and completely free. I just looked stuff up online. I think anybody charging you more than a few bucks is scammy.

I've found it's different than a nap and gives a subtle, refreshing sensation afterward of the brain finally being able to idle. I've never had the discipline or patience to do it for more than short stretches sporadically though.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Aren't there books on Transcendental Meditation? Seems like both a more cost-effective and nerve-preserving way of learning the method.

Most modern concepts of "meditation" are watered-down, lily-livered versions of Zen, anyway.

Banned
    Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    Aren't there books on Transcendental Meditation? Seems like both a more cost-effective and nerve-preserving way of learning the method.

Most modern concepts of "meditation" are watered-down, lily-livered versions of Zen, anyway.
    This. I meditate almost daily, and the idea of paying a thousand dollars for a course strikes me as ridiculous. Meditation has to be one of the cheapest activities you can do. If you really want to learn more about different variations on meditation, there are lots of meditation apps you can download that cost far less.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Even though I've never tried anything beyond green myself, I think I would have to agree that drugs would achieve whatever goal it is you're looking for in out of body experience.
    I hear they can train the mind to not require anesthesia while undergoing surgery too, but would you want to?
    Try not to kill yourself.
    In my mind's eye, one little boy, one little man, funny how time flies.

Type
    INTP
    I've learned TM, it was a gift so I don't know how much it was though I know it wasn't exactly cheap. I was happy for the one on one training, I'm not sure I would have gotten the trick of it from a book or a single session.

I've also learned breathing meditations and mindful meditations, and TM is not quite the same. It's not choosing to anchor on a word instead of a breath, in fact you have to kind of... unfocus? on the word... It's difficult for me to explain.

I'm glad I learned it and it offers different effects and benefits from others I've learned. I hear that is true of meditations.

Honestly, it might be my favorite, but who knows what will work for you?

Edit to add: I've found more success with all the techniques I learned from actual in person instruction than the ones I've tried to learn from reading and other sources. Maybe I just suck at teaching it to myself? Or maybe I just happen to choose the ones that are particularly effective for me?
    Don't remember changing this.

Type
    INTj
    "...meditation does not induce a unique metabolic state but is seen biochemically as a resting state."
    http://science.sciencemag.org/content/192/4245/1242

So try resting. If you like it, you might then find TM worthwhile.

edit: I'm not being sarcastic here. If you are, say, a North Korean migrant worker in Russia, then you might find opportunities to rest in a personally satisfying way an extremely rare experience. That's what TM ultimately is about to my understanding: resting both to heal and maintain one's health.
    What's the difference? It's just soda, bro.