Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mensa International.

Type
    INTJ

Mensa International.

Is anybody here a member? If so, what are your experiences?

I'm currently wondering if I should re-join. When I was a child, I was admitted in the country where I spent my early years, but I have since relocated multiple times and I am wondering whether I should join a branch in my current country.

Pro: Re-taking the entry test voluntarily and seeing people's baffled faces might be fun.

Con: The experience I faintly remember from Mensa meetings 20+ years ago was that they consisted mostly of intolerable idiots with mediocre levels of competence and exaggerated opinions of themselves just like any other collection of people. The likelihood that there won't be any benefit except for the laughs while test taking is high.

Wondering whether it's worth the effort and time of actually going there and doing it.

Type
    INTP
    Pretty sure I wouldn't be eligible, but if I were, the only reason I'd even consider it is if I got free subscriptions/access to scientific journals, trade publications, digital libraries, etc.

Type
    INTJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    Pretty sure I wouldn't be eligible, but if I were, the only reason I'd even consider it is if I got free subscriptions/access to scientific journals, trade publications, digital libraries, etc.
    I don't know why I sent you a reputation comment, might as well have stated it publicly. The fact that you're a casual reader of scientific journals is evidence enough that you'd easily land in the top 2% score they require.

Type
    INTJ
    So I contacted them and they just sent me a 5 minute pretest of logic questions. It was easy because the patterns in those tests are repetitively obvious. If the real test is anything like that example, it'll be bloody boring.

I suppose there's still pleasure to be found in attending anyway and annoying people by acting like a smart-arse.

Type
    INTP
    Mensa seems to be the smart person's equivalent of those self-affirming personality quiz/tests prevalent on social media, whereby a person tries to signal some value by posting that according to this ego-stroking test, they are "just like Tyrion".

Sorry if that sounds like a dig.

Type
    INTJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    Mensa seems to be the smart person's equivalent of those self-affirming personality quiz/tests prevalent on social media, whereby a person tries to signal some value by posting that according to this ego-stroking test, they are "just like Tyrion".

Sorry if that sounds like a dig.
    No need to apologise. You hit the nail on the head.

Type
    ISFP
    No. Mensa standards are too low. Shoot for the Triple 9 Society.

One of my exes wanted very badly for us to join Mensa together. We both took the pretest. I did well and he did not. His self-perception as "genius" was a large part of his ego and identity so it was a difficult thing for him to internalize. I didn't pursue it further. It wasn't something I'd have done for myself anyway. The incident became one of many thorns that lead to the dissolution of the relationship.

I see membership in Mensa primarily as a sales tactic. If you join, you gain the right to use their logo on your work. Those who do not believe they could be in Mensa are impressed by it and are therefore willing to buy whatever the Mensa member is selling.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Type
    INTJ
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky balbotox View Post
    No. Mensa standards are too low. Shoot for the Triple 9 Society.
    Indeed! I was actually planning to do that.

Triple Nine's entry score is around 146, if I remember correctly. Seems like a decent figure to aim at.

Type
    INTJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    I see membership in Mensa primarily as a sales tactic. If you join, you gain the right to use their logo on your work. Those who do not believe they could be in Mensa are impressed by it and are therefore willing to buy whatever the Mensa member is selling.
    Is that so! I wonder what goods exactly are supposedly rendered more attractive by that stamp?