Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mensa International.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by scarydoor View Post
    Not implicitly either! haha...
    writing "haha" and then immediately posting a distressed emoticon indicates that you mask your depression with humor, and the depression most likely stems from a poorly timed joke involving a banana peel.

Type
    INTJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    writing "haha" and then immediately posting a distressed emoticon indicates that you mask your depression with humor, and the depression most likely stems from a poorly timed joke involving a banana peel.
    In his case it means a certain idea got through to him.

In your case, your "analysis" means that you are quite proud of your capability for emotions;

however you spend far too much time reflecting upon your own, the result of which saddens you more often than not;

also, you likely took mild offence in most everything I have posted so far, perhaps even in this thread itself which you find altogether unappetising.

Moreover, you've probably been called gifted as a child, and perhaps justly so, and you have been subconsciously troubled lately because you haven't been making much use of this giftedness in life for quite some time. This might be for random socioeconomic factors, but my guess is that you're trying to not upset a boyfriend you're attached to for his kindness even though he doesn't live up to your intellectual level.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post

I think of a higher IQ as simply being born with a bigger empty cup and therefore a decreased need for efficiency and focus. How often is intellectual potential the wall anyone hits in life? One can make excellent use of very little and very poor use of much (or the converse). Very smart people tend to have an embarrassment of unspent riches and will accidentally accomplish enough to be praised with less effort than an average person expends to achieve the minimum. This does not make them better, but it does tend to make them lazier. (#notallsmartpeople)

There is no more reason to take pride in intelligence than there is to take pride in being tall. Which is to say there is some pride to be had in it, but it is important to remember it isn't a pride of accomplishment and overstating it can come off like making fun of short people. Congratulations, you were born with more. So, tall person, what are you going to do with all that extra reach?

Mensa is essentially a group of "tall" people who have proven how tall they are and who get together for the purpose of meeting others who can reach the high shelves with them. If you are putting together a think tank, or looking for research subjects, or just tired of always being around people whose cups are so full they have no room for your annoying pile of thoughts and conjectures, it could be a good thing. It is the the equivalent of a basketball league that requires height, but not skill. For all the brain power it contains, Mensa's accomplishments so far are a social hierarchy and functions in which to utilize it, and funding of scholarships and research for their own members. It's a coed fraternity with a very specific rush system.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Type
    INTJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    There is no more reason to take pride in intelligence than there is to take pride in being tall. Which is to say there is some pride to be had in it, but it is important to remember it isn't a pride of accomplishment and overstating it can come off like making fun of short people. Congratulations, you were born with more. So, tall person, what are you going to do with all that extra reach?
    That is a very interesting point to consider. I've never seen it that way, but it makes perfect sense. Thanks for that thought.

Mensa is essentially a group of "tall" people who have proven how tall they are and who get together for the purpose of meeting others who can reach the high shelves with them. If you are putting together a think tank, or looking for research subjects, or just tired of always being around people whose cups are so full they have no room for your annoying pile of thoughts and conjectures, it could be a good thing. It is the the equivalent of a basketball league that requires height, but not skill. For all the brain power it contains, Mensa's accomplishments so far are a social hierarchy and functions in which to utilize it, and funding of scholarships and research for their own members. It's a coed fraternity with a very specific rush system.
    Yes, and above all they seem like a fun group of people to annoy.

At this point my only ambition would be to source an argumentative sparring partner there, and if a match cannot be found, at least enjoy mixing their lot up a bit.

They're now offering a "Bring your friend and you'll only pay half price for the test" deal, so I might actually take them up on it. Would be entertaining to have an accomplice.

Type
    INFP
    Three things occur to me regarding this thread.

One: There seems to be a certain effort to mirror the fictional persona of your avatar with acute purpose. I will say that is neither good nor bad as I enjoyed the show, especially the season two opener.

Two: At just under half the total posts to your thread are your own as of the point of my post, I believe you may have answered your own question.

Three:

Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    However, it is well possible that at a certain point one simply doesn't see much point in most social interaction anymore, due to one being able to solve most abstract and life problems on one's own. In that case, being anti-social and a dick to people makes sense from the point of efficiency. I don't see anything amoral in it.
    See point two.

Type
    INTJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth View Post

One: There seems to be a certain effort to mirror the fictional persona of your avatar with acute purpose. I will say that is neither good nor bad as I enjoyed the show, especially the season two opener.
    What show?

Two: At just under half the total posts to your thread are your own as of the point of my post, I believe you may have answered your own question.
    Correct. I just find it easier to come to a conclusion if I bump ideas off people. Apologies if you feel I've used you as a sounding board. If I stick around, it will probably happen again.

Also, posting multiply was intentional, since I figured becoming an "established member" would have to do with post count.

Three:

See point two.
    See Answer two.

Type
    INTJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth View Post

Nevermind, reverse image search just enlightened me.

Is it any good? I thoroughly enjoyed the novels and short stories, so I'm reluctant to watch the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    Nevermind, reverse image search just enlightened me.

Is it any good? I thoroughly enjoyed the novels and short stories, so I'm reluctant to watch the series.
    You have chosen as your avatar a picture of one of the most famous actors on the planet playing one of the most famous fictional characters on the planet in the role for which he is most famous (and you've read the books) and you chose this as your avatar without realizing who it was. It's not impossible, but it does imply an impressive level of obliviousness to pop culture. Can we infer from this that you do not watch a lot of movies and television?

I enjoyed the Sherlock series. It was not as clever as the character it is based on by half, but it is cathartic to watch this version of Sherlock navigating the modern world without caring fuck all how openly stating the truth as he sees it affects the emotions of the people around him. All attempts to humanize him weaken the character in my opinion, which is why I probably like the earlier shows more.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Type
    INTJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    You have chosen as your avatar a picture of one of the most famous actors on the planet playing one of the most famous fictional characters on the planet in the role for which he is most famous (and you've read the books) and you chose this as your avatar without realizing who it was. It's not impossible, but it does imply an impressive level of obliviousness to pop culture. Can we infer from this that you do not watch a lot of movies and television?
    Guilty as charged. I mean, I remember hearing of that Cumberbatch actor due to the relatively high silliness of his name, but I didn't know that image depicted him. I got it from the "Similar images" suggestions when I was looking for black and white photography a while ago and I simply liked the caption.

Also, black coats are cool. Yes that is an emotional statement.

I enjoyed the Sherlock series. It was not as clever as the character it is based on by half, but it is cathartic to watch this version of Sherlock navigating the modern world without caring fuck all how openly stating the truth as he sees it affects the emotions of the people around him. All attempts to humanize him weaken the character in my opinion, which is why I probably like the earlier shows more.
    That doesn't sound too bad. Humanising him? Please tell me they didn't turn this into a love story involving Irene Adler.