Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Architecture

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Architecture

I'm pretty sure there used to be an architecture thread and that no one's made one here yet. Let me know if I'm wrong and I'll merge the threads.

But I figured we need a thread for random architectural bits that are interesting but don't deserve their own thread.

Type
    intp
    This is a new one in my city (it doesn't happen often). It's a Medical Research Centre or something. Nicknamed "The Cheese Grater". I like this style. It looks like a spaceship.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Birmingham's Selfridges department store, as seen in Windows 7 Architecture theme wallpaper:

Last edited by Limes; 07-07-2017 at 07:41 AM.
    We live here now.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    That is excellent.

One of the hotels in that article recommends itself with this curious picture on their website:

Spoiler: SPOILER

Oh, and this one:

Spoiler: What

Edit:
    ..ah yes, architecture. The Palace of Caserta is quite impressive inside and out:

Last edited by Horatio; 07-07-2017 at 09:26 AM.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    this thread deserves to live

Spoiler: photos

from UNESCO site:

Fujian Tulou is a property of 46 buildings constructed between the 15th and 20th centuries over 120 km in south-west of Fujian province, inland from the Taiwan Strait. Set amongst rice, tea and tobacco fields the Tulou are earthen houses. Several storeys high, they are built along an inward-looking, circular or square floor plan as housing for up to 800 people each. They were built for defence purposes around a central open courtyard with only one entrance and windows to the outside only above the first floor. Housing a whole clan, the houses functioned as village units and were known as “a little kingdom for the family” or “bustling small city.” They feature tall fortified mud walls capped by tiled roofs with wide over-hanging eaves. The most elaborate structures date back to the 17th and 18th centuries. The buildings were divided vertically between families with each disposing of two or three rooms on each floor. In contrast with their plain exterior, the inside of the tulou were built for comfort and were often highly decorated. They are inscribed as exceptional examples of a building tradition and function exemplifying a particular type of communal living and defensive organization, and, in terms of their harmonious relationship with their environment, an outstanding example of human settlement.

Spoiler: from wikipedia
    Housing for a community of equals

Unlike other housing structures around the world with architecture illustrating social hierarchy, Fujian Tulou exhibits its unique characteristic as a model of community housing for equals. All rooms were built the same size with the same grade of material, same exterior decoration, same style of windows and doors, and there was no "penthouse" for "higher echelons"; a small family owned a vertical set from ground floor to "penthouse" floor, while a larger family would own two or three vertical sets.

Tulous were usually occupied by one large family clan of several generations; some larger tulou had more than one family clan. Besides the building itself, many facilities such as water wells, ceremonial hall, bathrooms, wash rooms, and weaponry were shared property. Even the surrounding land and farmland, fruit trees etc. were shared. The residents of tulou farmed communally. This continued into the 1960s even during the people's commune period; at that time a tulou was often occupied by one commune production team. Each small family has its own private property, and every family branch enjoys its privacy behind closed doors.

In the old days, the allotment of housing was based on family male branch; each son was counted as one branch. Public duties such as organization of festivals, cleaning of public areas, opening and closing of the main gate, etc., was also assigned to a family branch on a rotational basis.

All branches of a family clan shared a single roof, symbolizing unity and protection under a clan; all the family houses face the central ancestral hall, symbolizing worship of ancestry and solidarity of the clan. When a clan grew, the housing expanded radially by adding another outer concentric ring, or by building another tulou close by, in a cluster. Thus, a clan stayed together.

Nowadays newer housing with modern facilities is popping up in rural China. Many residents have bought more modern houses and moved out, or live in a larger town or city for better jobs. However they keep their ancestral tulou apartment homes under padlock, only returning home during festival for family reunion.

Effective strongholds for defense

From the 12th century to 19th century, armed bandits plagued southern China. The people of southern Fujian first built strongholds on top of mountains as a defence. These early strongholds later evolved into Fujian Tulou.

The thick (two metres at bottom, tapered to one metre on top) outer walls of tulous were immune to arrows and gunfire. The lower one- to two-metre section of the outer wall was sometimes built with granite blocks or large river cobbles. This granite or cobble section was immune to digging, since the outer layer of cobbles was purposely laid with the smaller ends pointing outwards—it would be futile for any attacker to dig out such cobbles. Digging a tunnel under the wall was not possible either, because the cobble section wall was extended deep down more than one metre.

The earth wall section was built with rammed earth together with lime-sand-clay mixture and reinforced with horizontal bamboo strips for lateral binding. It was solid as a castle. In 1934, a group of uprising peasants of Yongding County occupied a tulou to resist the assault of the army, which fired 19 cannon shots at that tulou, but made only a small dent on the outside wall.

The weak link in a walled system was usually the gate. But the gate of Fujian tulou was specially designed for defense. The door frame was built from a large solid block of granite; the double doors were built with fire-resistant solid wood boards up to 13 cm thick, reinforced with thick iron armour plates. The main gate door was barred with several horizontal and vertical strong wood posts inserted into holes in the granite. To guard against an enemy destroying the front doors with fire, some doors were equipped with water tanks on top to quench fires set by the enemy.

Fujian Tulou residents used firearms for active defense, shooting at enemies from gun ports at the top level of the building. Some Fujian tulou are constructed with a circular corridor along the inside wall to facilitate the movement of armed men and ammunition.
    I was fine when I came, and fine when I left.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    The Buzludzha, in Bulgaria. Communist Party Headquarters.

Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    People's Daily HQ, China

Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    ^ i'm so immature.

apparently the facade was redesigned a few years ago. the outer white-ish material is glazed terracotta

I was fine when I came, and fine when I left.

Type
    INTP
    I'm glad this thread is back.