• Jar Jar Binks

6 19.35%
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ADHD

Banned
    Type
    INTP

ADHD

What do you think? Is it real? A way for pharmaceutical companies to get rich?

I'm going to crowdsource this bitch. I'm inclined to think it is, and isn't just INTPness or whatever. People across a wide variety of personality types have been diagnosed. If it were just a way to medicalize being an INTP or whatever, INTPs should be getting diagnosed way more than the other types. But apparently, they aren't.

People get diagnosed with it so they can get stimulants, and stimulants make everyone better at everything.

Maybe an "unpopular opinion", but I believe most if not possibly all ADHD is b.s.

At best, it's a personality trait that is influenced by environment as much as any other.

I have a young relative that supposedly has ADHD. She spent a week at my house without her parents, and after one day of me not putting up with b.s., she was suddenly ADHD free for the rest of her stay. My son had an ADHD friend over for a b-day party/sleepover that "forgot his medicine". Quite the little bastard. After I scared the shit out of him, he suddenly became ADHD free and I never had another issue with him. He was a perfect kid right up until his dad came to pick him up. I'll never forget it.

His Dad: "Ok, son. Let's go"
    ADHD Kid: "NO!!! I don't want to go yet!"
    Dad: "Come on son.. just please let's go, I've got to blah blah blah"
    ADHD Kid: "Fuck you, dad"

This went on for 20 minutes before they left. Twenty minutes of the supposed father begging his son to get in the car. I was beyond incredulous. This matches with my assessment of the girls parents as well. The irony is, once you earn a kids respect, the kid's happier and so are you. They need someone to respect and look up to, what they don't need is someone for which they view as a manipulable toy. They can't handle that kind of responsibility, and even though they may not know it, they don't want it either.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    People get diagnosed with it so they can get stimulants, and stimulants make everyone better at everything.
    Well, I know the stimulants work.

Type
    INTP
    Of course a neurological attention impairment can exist. What kind of question is that?

But yeah, kids might be over-diagnosed, and not accurately diagnosed. I might have ADHD-PI, but since it doesn't bother me all that much I never saw a psychiatrist about it.

Type
    ENTP
    ADHD exists as much as any other behavioral or thought disorder. In the sense that it's a label, an attempt to group people with common characteristics into a certain bucket, in order to develop standardized approaches to helping them. But I agree that it's probably overdiagnosed, and more importantly, overmedicated.

But individual humans will also have different symptoms, because everyone has a different brain and different experiences and environmental factors.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP
    Quote Originally Posted by Polemarch View Post
    But I agree that it's probably overdiagnosed, and more importantly, overmedicated.

IIRC they like to prescribe Adderall for ADHD. For children, I can see this being a concern. For adults, they know what they're getting into and I'd wager that a good chunk of them are seeking out the medication.

I could go for some Addy right now.

Type
    INTP
    There is no doubt that ADHD exists as a real disorder of the prefrontal cortex. That drug companies have used unethical practices that have caused what is probably an over abundance of positive diagnoses does not obviate the thousands of peer reviewed, published studies that show without a question that this is a real disorder for a small portion of the population. Most people who have true ADHD diagnoses feel no euphoria when they take stimulants. For them, Adderall is about as exciting as putting on glasses. That's why they so often forget to take their meds. As far as I can tell, no one on this site and the previous one is an expert in psychiatry or neurology, so all the opinions expressed here are likely insufficiently informed. If you think your opinion is valid, cite several publications from PubMed and weigh these against the current "standard of care."

Type
    INTP
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1525089/

Yes, it' real.
    Long and short of the article, "there is no convincing difference between the prevalence of this disorder [ADHD] in the USA and most other countries or cultures."

Type
    INTP
    ADHD is probably just another word for ESxP; much as how aspergers is basically another word for ISTJ.