• Jar Jar Binks

7 21.21%
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: ADHD

Type
    INfj
    but there are so many other fun things to do

like posting on internet fora
    Empty your mind. Be formless. Shapeless. Like water. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    but there are so many other fun things to do

like posting on internet fora
    Love is a versatile crop...will grow in quite a number of environments, including internet fora.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Thevenin View Post
    Those who deny ADHD/ADD need to explain why stimulants (e.g., Adderall, Dexedrine, Methylphenidate, etc.) typically cause correctly diagnosed people to relax and feel calm, while so-called "normal" people become hyper on these drugs. It's a paradox--so, explain it. (I can--hint…it has to do with the activity of the pre-frontal cortex)
    this is an old thread but yeahhh this.

i was diagnosed in adulthood, in my late 20s, which seems to be somewhat common in women, with some being diagnosed well into their 30s or 40s. due to stereotypes i think it's very likely overdiagnosed in boys and underdiagnosed in girls/women.

i'm taking a NDRI medication (not considered a stimulant but has "stimulating effects"), it doesn't make me hyped up at all or more anxious, but more calm. it's eliminated the constant feeling of restlessness i have struggled with my entire life, the body aches, the insomnia, the racing thoughts and the constant "busy" feeling in my head that i've always had. it's provided a baseline of relaxed feeling that i guess is what is "normal" (but at first i experienced this as an unpleasant tiredness). my days feel 2x longer, and i can actually get to sleep on time if i put my body into bed.

fucking weird. reallllllly fucking weird. and somewhat maddening when i think about all i didn't have to struggle with as a child. i wish i was diagnosed as a kid, i really do.

i think one of the tip-offs (that i rarely see other people talk about) is my absolutely shitty time perception, in that if you get me talking about something i'm really interested in, i can talk the entire time in an hour and it'll feel like 15 minutes to me, which is related to the executive functioning deficits of adhd.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 02-07-2019 at 12:58 AM.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP
    Quote Originally Posted by Thevenin View Post
    Most people who have true ADHD diagnoses feel no euphoria when they take stimulants.
    This is a commonly perpetuated myth. People who take drugs seeking euphoria almost always do so with a higher quantity of the drug, and often do so via a different route of administration (ROA). Even if I take only the amount prescribed, altering the ROA can radically speed up how much of the drug gets to the brain, how quickly it gets there, and how quickly it leaves. If I were to take a prescribed dosage of any amphetamine orally (~60% bioavailability), then it would kick in after 30 mins to an hour and I'd feel calm, relaxed, focused, and more or less just a better version of myself for about 8-12 hours. If I were to take the same dosage, crush it, then snort it (~70% bioavailability), then I'd feel high almost immediately and it would fade away over the course of 4-6 hours. Now, if I chose to crush, dissolve, and directly inject that pill (99-100% bioavailability), then ... well, I don't really know, never done that.

As for Bupropion not being a stimulant, lol. I was on it for ~3 years and it definitely is a stimulant, but it's typically marketed as an alternative to both SSRIs for depression and amphetamine for ADHD, so I guess that's why someone would try to claim that it's not a stimulant. It's a dopamine reuptake inhibitor just like everything else -- cocaine, crack, meth, nicotine, etc. In fact, it's commonly abused through insufflation and considered to be almost on par with meth and crack cocaine when injected at a high enough dosage.

chaotic neutral shitpost jigglypuff's Avatar
    Type
    xxxx
    the usefulness of saying a medication is "non-stimulant" is pretty obvious, cuz there's such a stigma that if you say you're taking a stimulant medication people think you're abusing it. even some people correctly diagnosed won't seek out the "stimulant" medications or at least won't say so cuz people start approaching you thinking you have drugs for them. which i think is a real shame as it makes access to medications harder, plus it's annoying.

in treating adhd, you're not taking medication for euphoria, but it's likely you will experience it when you start. it's a side effect that goes away.

I'm managing mine with green tea coffee. Maybe only really practical when you have the gene for slow caffeine metabolism. Works great except for all the twitching. People assume I'm crazy and emotionally disturbed, which is true, but that's totally invisible with an untainted bloodstream.

Ironic to only be noticed for what you are when you start addressing the problem.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    this is an old thread but yeahhh this.

i was diagnosed in adulthood, in my late 20s, which seems to be somewhat common in women, with some being diagnosed well into their 30s or 40s. due to stereotypes i think it's very likely overdiagnosed in boys and underdiagnosed in girls/women.

i'm taking a NDRI medication (not considered a stimulant but has "stimulating effects"), it doesn't make me hyped up at all or more anxious, but more calm.
    it's eliminated the constant feeling of restlessness i have struggled with my entire life, the body aches, the insomnia, the racing thoughts and the constant "busy" feeling in my head that i've always had.
    I have those same experiences, but I've never considered myself ADD/ADHD. I just have a lot of energy, physically and mental... I don't know why people are so quick to label themselves with "disorders", this is existence, it's imperfect, but it's not a "disorder".

A spliff will chill you out, I'm sure

i think one of the tip-offs (that i rarely see other people talk about) is my absolutely shitty time perception, in that if you get me talking about something i'm really interested in, i can talk the entire time in an hour and it'll feel like 15 minutes to me, which is related to the executive functioning deficits of adhd.
    I thought everybody experienced this? .. "A watched kettle never boils..." etc
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INxP
    One thing I have discovered is that there is a form of ADD that does not include the hyperactive part. It is called "type inattentive". I thought that maybe THAT was my problem for a while. The doc gave Adderol. By the second day I thought my head would explode.

So far "INTP" type is the closest Ive come to finally shedding light on why I do what I do. My biggest problem is getting through the times I am not being "challenged". Being in engineering, I have found a profession where this personality type is a big bonus when a project comes along that nobody else can seem to do. The problem comes when it is done and working and its time to settle down and document it. I am at that stage right now and actually had to resort to cutting my own hours so that when Im there, I have enough to do to keep me in over my head.

Its also difficult not to "create a crisis" to keep things "interesting" in life. If Im not juggling 5 or more big things at once, Im lost. Its a double edged sword though because if I allow myself to get too stressed from it, I become destructive to myself (and in turn those around me).