Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Mirror Discussion (Spoilers)

Type
    INTP

Black Mirror Discussion (Spoilers)

List of Black Mirror Episodes

No need to answer all questions, or any, if you just want to jot down some thoughts.

Your top 3 picks? And/or any honorable mentions? Any reason why?

Which episode(s), if any, struck a nerve? What about it got to you? And why do you think that was?

Which concepts do you think were spot on in terms of where you see technology and society going?

Which episodes fell flat for you, and why?

Did any episode remind you of another work of fiction?

What if anything have you enjoyed or appreciated about the series?

What would be your biggest critiques?

In which Black Mirror reality would you like to live?

Spoiler: Tagging folks
    Quote Originally Posted by bass_n_treble View Post
    • Black Mirror
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    I enjoyed Black Mirror
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    I don't think anyone INTP wouldn't like Black Mirror (Ptah notwithstanding).
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    i looove black mirror and i'm super impressed by anyone who says they binged it! like wtf you must have a really STRONG HEAD
    i had to take breaks between each episode to think and recover...
    Quote Originally Posted by bass_n_treble View Post
    An episodic Twilight Zone set in the not-too-distant future, covering subjects mostly dealing with how technology and surveillance could become nightmare scenarios for regular folk. It's deeply terrifying and relatable.

Spoiler: Links to the "I just saw" thread
    MacGuffin et al
    last caress
    Hephaestus
    Faust
    MacGuffin et al again
    ACow
    jigglypuff
    jigglypuff
    There might be more, but I've run out of J to finish the job.
    Last edited by Mxx; 07-10-2017 at 07:40 PM.

fry cook on Venus bass_n_treble's Avatar
    Type
    INTJ
    I feel like I should have to roll to make a Constitution save here.

The ones that stick out for me:

Fifteen Million Merits
    Nosedive
    San Junipero (this actually made me cry; it was the only episode with a happy ending and I had that weird empty feeling like right after finishing a good book)
    Men Against Fire

I actually hated the first episode and am glad the series is not a serial drama because I would not have continued. Something told me it had potential though...

Type
    INTP
    In which Black Mirror reality would you like to live?
    I'd probably go for The Entire History of you, even though that's the episode that got under my skin the most - showing the downfalls of a hyper-psycho-analytical mind, worsened by a technology that allows you to study every minuscule detail. But I would love to have captured and have had the chance to relive some of the moments of my life.
    Then again, it's hard to move on with life if you can't forget and let go.

Did any episode remind you of another work of fiction?
    It reminded me a little of Until the End of the World, where the characters become so enmeshed in a technology that allows them to record and live their dreams that they stop living their lives.

Type
    xxxx
    What if anything have you enjoyed or appreciated about the series?

it's super observant and relatable and just takes what's already happening in our culture and pushes it to the next level, and the conclusions reached in the show mostly feel very logical and realistic, which is what's so freaky about it. i feel it's a show that could easily be very "cerebral" but it avoids that temptation and gets us to reflect on ourselves and our society. emotionally it's taken me to some strange places that are all very real.

in terms of "impact," for me, the first ones that come to mind as favorites are nosedive and san junipero.

i watched the earlier seasons a while ago but if i review the episodes i'll prob have something to say about them too.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

nosedive-- the moment i knew this was really great was when she's in the jail with the lenses out, and she sees the dust floating under the light. it was like finally seeing something true for the first time, she was finally "free," and it was so beautiful in its irony.

san junipero-- this makes you think about how painful it is to live in this world (our real world) and it's really easy to understand the appeal and the significance of this virtual reality technology, even though this manifestation is pretty dystopian. this approaches the subject from an emotional perspective and the characters are complex and layered as well. it's a love story, set in a future that feels very possible. just really well done.

edit: i think whenever i rave about something, i make it sound dumber than it is, lol. don't take my word for it, it's WAY better than it sounds.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 07-10-2017 at 11:29 PM.
    The most beautiful paintings in existence today are the ones which were not painted by anyone.

Type
    INTP
    Ugh, S1E01 was the worst. I started watching this show as a suggestion for research so it was was weird watching a dude fuck a pig with my professor at the time. What we meant to watch was I'll Be Back (sex dolls research).

Top three:

San Junipero
    Nosedive.
    15 Million Merits

Like most things, it's not really technology itself that is awful, but how it is used by humans. It's uncomfortable because they're not too far-fetched. What I really like about it is that you can find something new, little hints, when you re-watch an episode. Like San Junipero. Girl in a Coma? Oh, that's why she was super aghast at the car racing game. The episode was just beautifully done. While each episode is a stand alone, there are sometimes easter eggs scattered that tie it into other episodes. Charlie Brooker is a fucking genius.

Type
    INTP
    I'd say my top 3 were:

Fifteen Million Merits - I liked the premise. Humans having sold their souls for consumption and now they have to work to avoid advertising.
    White Bear - had that crazy wicker man vibe plus the plot twist no one could have seen coming.
    White Christmas - just liked the story I suppose.

Give San Junipero honorable mention as it was the only episode with a positive rather than depressing message.

I don't think any episodes fell flat, but I will agree with others the very first was probably the weakest. Season 3 seemed a bit below par in general, but maybe that is just because I am getting used to the nature of the show, so it seems less surprising when things take a dark turn (since I know a dark turn is likely coming). Still good though.

If there are any new episodes planned, I'll watch them for sure.

Type
    INTP
    San Junipero
    The Entire History Of You
    Fifteen Million Merits

Honorable mentions: Nosedive, White Christmas

I liked the way technology was leveraged in TEHOY while remaining peripheral to the story. I think the most nerve-striking scene is when they're sleeping together while watching early footage of their having passionate sex in their vision - that's uncanny and saddening. FMM was a mixed bag but the idea of corporate-controlled gamified make-work with "rewards" is frightening as I can imagine a strong push in that direction, with the populace in the same shitty apartments we have now rather than some on-site facility. Strap on the VR and plug-in, a-la Snow Crash. The problem we face with the change over to post-scarcity automated society is: who is holding all the cards? What are the terms? We're setting ourselves up to get fucked, and it will be even harder to regain control later.

I think a more non-intrusive holographic HUD with a similar effect to that seen in Nosedive, incorporating some of the capabilities found in TEHOY, is something we're likely to see in the future. Mandatory chips might be a thing for identification purposes but I suspect those enhancements will remain a luxury item and voluntary, with new models out every year for consumers to fawn over.

The first episode sucked and nearly turned me off the series. Inconsistency is really my criticism of the show but I guess that may be the price to pay for diverse vignettes.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    nosedive-- the moment i knew this was really great was when she's in the jail with the lenses out, and she sees the dust floating under the light. it was like finally seeing something true for the first time, she was finally "free," and it was so beautiful in its irony.
    I'd like to think I sit somewhere between her brother and the female truck driver, in terms of attitude towards needing or wanting positive affirmation or approval from others. I consider myself and others of my generation to be really lucky in terms of not being subjected to the entrapments of social media during my formative years, and being able to do dumb stuff in my 20s without my stupidity going viral on YouTube.

I've been disturbed by the trend of it being okay to target non-celebrities in terms of public shaming for behaviours recorded on camera and spread across the internet - which harkens back to the episode Hated in the Nation. Not that targeting celebrities is okay... but it does seem to be part of the package deal should you wish to pursue fame.

Type
    INTP
    I've just downloaded Netflix... I suppose I'll start with the Black Mirror, I caught a couple of episodes before, they were good.

All I ever wanted
    Was the secrets that you keep
    All you ever wanted
    Was the truth I couldn't speak

~ Linkin Park

fry cook on Venus bass_n_treble's Avatar
    Type
    INTJ
    San Junipero was just nominated for an Emmy