Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 46

Thread: Black Mirror Discussion (Spoilers)

  1. #11
    Nosedive is still under my skin. I kept having to walk away; if I'd been watching alone, I wouldn't have been able to finish it. Not just cringe-worthy but so disturbing. I think the fraction-away-from-reality element is what bothered me so much. Or how much it's actually already happening, but just more subtly.

    The Entire History of You also stuck with me, but not as much as Nosedive. *shudder*

  2. #12
    unbeknownst Lilith's Avatar
    Type
    INXj
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Underworld
    Posts
    997
    I still need to watch a couple of episodes so I'll leave my faves up in the air for now.

    I'll echo jigglypuff's commentary about Nosedive. It looks like a depressing state to be, but I was happy for her.

    I did not finish the first episode. First 10mins and I have like three shocking twists in my head about the reason behind the kidnapping. It bothered me and my morals which, at that point, felt strange. I'll get to it later...

    Question: Can anyone explain Bing's choice in the end (Fifty Million Merits)? He was swallowed by the system for sure, but was he just feeling guilty for Abi or he did really care for her? Interested to know everyone's interpretation.
    Last edited by Lilith; 07-14-2017 at 05:19 AM.

  3. #13
    I watched most episodes a long while ago. Loved and hated them. I like the good guys to win, so I hate it. Brilliant use of allegory though, so I love it. I'll eventually watch more, but I have to be in the mood for darkness, which is not often.

    I don't know the titles of the 3 episodes that stood out the most, so I'll just call them "The Pig", "The Exercise Bikes" and "Facebook"

    "The Pig" was a bit crass and over dramatic. Probably my least favorite.
    "The Exercise Bikes" is another one I especially hated. They sucked me into this episode and then turned everything to shit by the end. Harsh.
    "Facebook" is probably my favorite. Probably because it plays to my own dislike of social media and social politics. Loved the truck driver lady. This one was spot on, to answer your question.
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber

  4. #14
    Just FYI, I wiki looked up the series and have since realized I've seen every episode but the last one. WTF???? When did I do this???

    So.. probably going to watch the last one soon? Read about the new season coming out with Penn Jillette involved in writing one? Hell yeah? Love Penn! Expectations high.
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber

  5. #15
    Member Mxx's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,572
    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    Just FYI, I wiki looked up the series and have since realized I've seen every episode but the last one. WTF???? When did I do this???
    It's probably because you had to go to your happy place after watching an episode, and that sometimes causes amnesia.

  6. #16
    Senior Member Senseye's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    Question: Can anyone explain Bing's choice in the end (Fifty Million Merits)? He was swallowed by the system for sure, but was he just feeling guilty for Abi or he did really care for her? Interested to know everyone's interpretation.
    I thought he genuinely cared for her.

    My impression was his plan was to make a grand gesture in her name after all his work to get on the show, maybe even wake people up, and he tried to do that true to his intentions. However, once he got there, he realized it was a lost cause, he was just viewed as another act and it would have made no change to the system had he actually killed himself on air. So it boiled down to: kill himself, be viewed as a great act, and make no difference - or capitulate to the system, live a relatively comfortable life, and also make no difference.

    He couldn't win either way, so he made the most logical choice given the circumstances. I think that's what made the situation so grim. There was no way to have a successful outcome. You didn't get the impression he was happy with his new upscale life. He just accepted the hopelessness of it all.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    It's probably because you had to go to your happy place after watching an episode, and that sometimes causes amnesia.
    Definitely a few episodes like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber

  8. #18
    unbeknownst Lilith's Avatar
    Type
    INXj
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Underworld
    Posts
    997
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    I thought he genuinely cared for her.

    My impression was his plan was to make a grand gesture in her name after all his work to get on the show, maybe even wake people up, and he tried to do that true to his intentions. However, once he got there, he realized it was a lost cause, he was just viewed as another act and it would have made no change to the system had he actually killed himself on air. So it boiled down to: kill himself, be viewed as a great act, and make no difference - or capitulate to the system, live a relatively comfortable life, and also make no difference.

    He couldn't win either way, so he made the most logical choice given the circumstances. I think that's what made the situation so grim. There was no way to have a successful outcome. You didn't get the impression he was happy with his new upscale life. He just accepted the hopelessness of it all.
    Thanks.

    My impression was somewhat similar to yours above except I was also toying at the idea that perhaps when he was able to vent his frustrations and was offered a new routine and a comfortable life, he let go of his initial purpose and seized the moment. I based this off his speech when he compared Abi to a crushed "momentary" ideal. She was an object that ignited his sense of purpose (obviously he didn't have earlier on) rather than a breathing person who was drugged and abused while he's trying to earn his other 15M. I think what I find amiss is the sudden shift from a purposeful suicidal crusader to a sips-tea zero-fuck-given dude. But then again, this should be a no winner show. What am I thinking? xD

  9. #19
    Member RottenApple's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    South Africa / Cape Town
    Posts
    41
    "Shut up and dance" bothered me the most.

  10. #20
    Member Mxx's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    3,572
    Black Mirror Masterclass with Charlie Brooker & Annabel Jones
    I'm about 5 minutes in, and was hoping for something more insightful, but we'll see.

    Season 4 Trailer
    I'm not hyped by it... maybe that's a good thing.

Similar Threads

  1. Black vs white bed frames
    By JohnClay in forum Rants, Raves & Hot Air
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-22-2017, 08:50 PM
  2. Batman vs Superman - Your Questions Here *(Spoilers)*
    By Spartan26 in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-29-2016, 09:39 AM
  3. Are you the magic mirror gate?
    By BIOTCH in forum The Pub
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-10-2016, 01:59 AM
  4. Peep Show - British black comedy series
    By JohnClay in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-02-2016, 12:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •