Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-Traditional Careers/Goals

Type
    XNTP

Non-Traditional Careers/Goals

I'm am 32 and getting ready to enter the world of academia for the second time.

I was a traditional student the first time pursing college fresh out of high school. However, I was more in love with the idea of learning as much as possible in college than attaining a degree. After five years of school all I had to show for myself was a General Associates degree and 8,000,000 of debt. I had maxed out all my federal loan options and had no other choice but to leave school.

Eight years latter I am now in a position to afford school again. This time I am going to school with more of a plan but it is far from a traditional career choice.

I am planning to double major in Forensic Chemistry {This was also my previous major) and Business Entrepreneurship. The reason, I chosen to double Major is because, I have learn from the last Eight years of cycling threw jobs, that there is always one common complaint. I don't like doing things that don't make since to me. When ever I work for someone else I have to do what make since to them even if it doesn't work for me.

Chemistry is still my first love and being an antithetical chemist is my dream job. Forensic help me feel useful in what I am doing as antithetical can be tedious and pointless in the wrong situation. However, in a traditional setting Forensic Chemistry still has all the draw backs of every other job I've ever had. So, I am going to use the fact that I live in a rural community to my advantage and do Forensic Chemistry on a Consulting basis. Therefore, I am my own boss. The issue with this is now two fold though. First Consulting in a rural area isn't going to bring me a lot of work as most crimes don't justify the pay of a forensic Consultant in rural America. Secondly, I know literally close to nothing about running a successful business. This is were the Business degree and part one of my plan comes.

To, solve the issue of running a non lucrative business. I planing to run two businesses the first one hopefully being a more lucrative local/tourist draw and the second being my consulting business.

For my primary business I am hoping to open up a Board Gaming Cafe. At first I will be managing and running the day to day business but my hope is that eventually I can hire a business manager to run the day to day operations so I can focus on my primary goal of being a consulting Forensic Chemist. If the venture works I may be interested in starting other small business as my community seems to be lack a lot of local entertainment besides the Soo Lockes (while an amazing feat of engineering they are not that interesting to watch over and over and over again.) I guess there also the Bar scene but that just never interested me and I can't be the only here bored.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Don't go into hospitality for a living. It is a losing businesses for 80% of all people who do (even worse when you've got no dirty hands-on experience) and it will suck the life out of you. Even if you manage to get it off the ground and find a capable business manager (both being highly unlikely), it will still demand way too much time to allow for your second, preferred job.

If you need money, teach. It might not be a lot better than gastronomy in terms of soul-crushing tedium, but if you make a mistake, it won't take your whole livelihood and life savings with it.

Passive income generation online may be an option, too.

Type
    XNTP
    I don't think a board game Cafe as hospitality. Its also not the only idea I have in my head but I am almost sure that I will be using business as a way to produce funds. As I need a ready source of income.

Like I said I currently know nothing about business, this is why I plan to get a business degree. You maybe right, that this isn't a winning prospect however, it's my current plan that is likely to change and morph as I get more information.

Type
    xxxx
    Can you please open a board game cafe in Sydney. I used to frequent one in the city all the time but it closed down. Thx
    "I fucking hate the cold!" - Wim Hof

www.karililt.com
    instagram @karililt

Type
    XNTP
    That would be amazing.

The only issue is that I would have to convince my wife to move to another country. Australia sounds like an amazing place to live but I have a hard enough time asking my wife to go do grade school on the east coast and that in the same country.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by AntisocialENTP View Post
    I don't think a board game Cafe as hospitality. Its also not the only idea I have in my head but I am almost sure that I will be using business as a way to produce funds. As I need a ready source of income.

Like I said I currently know nothing about business, this is why I plan to get a business degree. You maybe right, that this isn't a winning prospect however, it's my current plan that is likely to change and morph as I get more information.
    With business, you need to be thinking about how to get enough revenue to cover you expenses and make it worth your investment in time and capital. With a board game cafe, people might be occupying a seat for 2 hours but only spending a few dollars on drinks in those two hours. I'd suggest that this is probably difficult to turn into a viable business. If you did go ahead with it, you'd need to think very carefully about how to generate more revenue.

There are so many ways for a business to go bad. Employees tend to slack off or steal from the business. The owner needs to pay constant careful attention to the business, even if he or she employs someone to manage the business. Starting a business then getting someone to manage it while you rake in the money is a nice dream but pretty unrealistic. Most businesses fail. Of the businesses that succeed, very few get beyond the size where the owner needs to be closely involved with the running of the business on a day to day basis.

A business in the hospitality industry has a reasonable chance of success, but very few high end restaurants succeed. A place selling high volume, low cost food on the premises but also incorporating takeaway (takeout) will have a much greater chance of success.

My advice would be to make sure your plans have a realistic chance of success before you invest time and money. Ask people plenty of questions and share your current ideas to get their feedback.

Your plan of studying a business degree so you can generate an income stream that gives you the freedom to pursue your love of Chemistry sounds unrealistic to me. Businesses require a great deal of attention to become and remain successful. Why not just find a field of Chemistry that provides realistic employment prospects?
    On the wrong side of history

Better than a board game cafe would probably be a gaming shop. You could have an area with tables and games for people to play, and host tournaments and things. You could sell products like games with a higher profit margin than food to your target audience, and not have all the expenses of a food business ie licensing, equipment, refrigeration, cleaning etc

Type
    XNTP
    I did say that this was a non traditional employment route correct. I understand the risk and I've personally seen and investigated the board game cafe business plan and if done correctly can be lucrative enough for my purposes. I'm not planing to make millions or even a great living off of business. I would hope to make revenues close to 50k a year. which isn't unrealistic base off the stats that I've seen the the fact that I eventually (not right away) wish to higher a Business manager. Likely someone I know and trust. This should be enough to keep my other passion viable. It's not that Forensic chemistry consulting isn't itself profitable even in rural communities the services still demand a high price tag. The problem is that the services are need infrequently enough that you would need another income source to make sure you had access to money to pay regulatory fee and maintenance fees as they happen.

Skill wise I am generally a good researcher and idea creator but I suck at doing the day to day functions that bore me over time. This is my reason for getting a Business manager to run my business after such investment would be profitable (like I said I'm not looking to make millions at this).

The thing with board game cafe's is that you charge for both the games and the food, the food and drinks are generally light fair with higher profit margins at lower cost to the costumer. This is at least how I understand it to be from a few email corespondents I hand with a very successful board game cafe owner in Toronto. I don't have the business knowledge to succeed even at a lemon aid stand at this point that is my reason for investing in a Business degree. I'm sure I going to have to look a population stats and many other factors before determining that such a operation could be profitable in my city especially pass tourist season.

That being said this is the general idea. I understand that business take work and they are difficult to get off the ground. I do difficult well its not monotony that eventually bores me to most jobs.

Its actually, Typology research that has convinced me to branch out to business in the first place. I find myself and many XNTP's don't function very well working for someone else. We are also not the greatest leaders but we can be really good at getting something started as long as we can find the right partners to handle the stuff we don't care for in the long run. Yes, I am full aware of the fact that my complaints might be petty and most people hate there job. But it doesn't have to be that way. With the correct information and idea I can start a business that will help me live the life I want.

What are your non-traditional Career or Career Goals.

Type
    XNTP
    Board game cafe's often do sell games and offer all the amenities of a hobby shop. They just happen to be more profitable and are not a prown to failure as most hobby shops are.

Most people in the Game board industry believe that game board cafe's are the future for FLGS (Friendly, Local, Gaming stores). I don't know the stats off the top of my head but Board Games Cafe's are significantly more successful than Game Stores which are closing faster and faster due to Online Sales.

I originally, wanted to do a Gaming Store, as I love going to local gaming stores myself. But If I want a local business that will survive the internet I must move with the time. Game Boards Cafe's are still a newer concept and by time I invest in a business the market may have moved on. This is why its not set in stone yet. It's simply my working plane. The other Idea I am thinking of is a seasonal novelty store that Sells tourist stuff including board games. This would likely be the safest bet given my location. However, I'm still not 100% sure the wife and I plan to settle down here for the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    Better than a board game cafe would probably be a gaming shop. You could have an area with tables and games for people to play, and host tournaments and things. You could sell products like games with a higher profit margin than food to your target audience, and not have all the expenses of a food business ie licensing, equipment, refrigeration, cleaning etc
    There's one like this right down the street from me. Half the place is a game shop and then there's a large back room with lots of tables where people play all sorts of board games, rpgs and table top stuff. I've only been there a couple of times but it looks pretty cool though my friend says the owner is a dick.

Anyway, I think they sell some snacks and stuff there but it's right near a well stocked gas station, drug store, subway, chinese, ice cream, 7/11 etc. so there's probably too much competition to go all in on that. Location would be a relevant consideration if refreshments were a primary revenue stream.
    Last edited by last_caress; 07-13-2017 at 03:16 AM.