Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bread preservation methodology

Damned
    Type
    INTP

Bread preservation methodology

How could so many basic supermarket breads taste so bad? I'd understand if it was just dry or not sweet or if it's sourdough or some weirdly seasoned or seeded bread, but my latest is a soft whole wheat bread that has some kind of mysterious bad taste and smell. And it's not mold. I'll probably throw the rest out.
    Last edited by BarIII; 07-29-2017 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Well if this is becoming it's own thread, I'm fixing the spelling

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    How could so many basic supermarket breads taste so bad? I'd understand if it was just dry or not sweet or if it's sourdough or some weirdly seasoned or seeded bread, but my latest is a soft whole wheat bread that has some kind of mysterious bad taste and smell. And it's not mold. I'll probably through the rest out.
    That doesn't even look like bread, to be honest.

Does your town have any kind of Little Italy? You might want to buy your bread from a local baker there.

I just buy a loaf of locally made french bread from the supermarket deli. It's way better than the nationally mass produced stuff.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    How could so many basic supermarket breads taste so bad? I'd understand if it was just dry or not sweet or if it's sourdough or some weirdly seasoned or seeded bread, but my latest is a soft whole wheat bread that has some kind of mysterious bad taste and smell. And it's not mold. I'll probably through the rest out.
    I don't know what you're buying but that's not bread. Go to nearly any bakery and you'll get a product that's actually edible.

Damned
    Type
    INTP
    This is my regular bread. It had a good date today so I bought it.

I am but one man, mighty as I may be, and I can't always finish a loaf of fresh bakery bread before it gets moldy. My old bread was made locally but sometimes it tasted moldy the day I bought it and once it had some kind of inedible fiber in it.

Type
    INTP
    I eat bread made by machines in a big factory somewhere like someone living in the 21st century.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I am but one man, mighty as I may be, and I can't always finish a loaf of fresh bakery bread before it gets moldy. My old bread was made locally but sometimes it tasted moldy the day I bought it and once it had some kind of inedible fiber in it.
    Most brown breads in supermarkets are usually fake. If you read the ingredients you'll often see it's made with regular flour and some shit is added to darken it.

Luckily for me I'm not much of a bread snob.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    This is my regular bread. It had a good date today so I bought it.

[IMG]

Pro tip: Avoid buying anything that already has a discernible level of condensation in the package.

Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Most brown breads in supermarkets are usually fake. If you read the ingredients you'll often see it's made with regular flour and some shit is added to darken it.

Luckily for me I'm not much of a bread snob.
    Many brown breads are supposedly dyed with caramel.

fry cook on Venus bass_n_treble's Avatar
    Type
    INTJ

Bread preservation methodology

I can't always finish a loaf of fresh bakery bread before it gets moldy.
    Have you ever heard of a refrigerator?

Damned
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by bass_n_treble View Post
    Have you ever heard of a refrigerator?
    That's where I keep it, in a VINTAGE Tupperware Bread Keeper in the fridge but for whatever reason it sometimes tastes moldy within a day or two. The big factories know what they're doing even with no preservatives.