Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bread preservation methodology

fry cook on Venus bass_n_treble's Avatar
    Type
    INTJ
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    That's where I keep it, in a VINTAGE Tupperware Bread Keeper in the fridge but for whatever reason it sometimes tastes moldy within a day or two. The big factories know what they're doing even with no preservatives.
    Maybe you should find out what day of the week your supermarket gets their bread delivery then.

I just put mine in the fridge in the bag it comes in and it lasts 1.5 - 2 weeks. In fact I usually end up tossing the bag with a few apparently decent slices left just because I got a new loaf. Maybe there's something weird with your container. Next time put half the loaf in the container and leave half in the bag and see what happens.

Colymbosathon ecplecticos BarIII's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by bass_n_treble View Post
    Maybe you should find out what day of the week your supermarket gets their bread delivery then.
    I wouldn't trust that they got rid of the old even if they had such a day. Here's an article on the bakery. I've considered getting it direct, but it's not worth it. I actually started baking my own bread before Stop & Shop started selling Panera.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch

Type
    INtP
    People are storing bread in the fridge?

Colymbosathon ecplecticos BarIII's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    I think if you seal out the moist refrigerator air it's good. I'll probably get a new bread keeper that closes at the end instead of the top and isn't as old as I am.

Well, if it's crusty it's probably bad but mine isn't crusty.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch

Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    I'm the only one eating it so it will definitely be moldy before I get even half way through if I don't put it in the fridge. It stays edible a lot longer. Yeah there's a slight quality hit, but it's better than having to inspect it for mold and throwing away a half a loaf+ every week.

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by last_caress View Post
    I'm the only one eating it so it will definitely be moldy before I get even half way through if I don't put it in the fridge. It does stay edible a lot longer. Yeah there's a slight quality hit, but it's better than having to inspect it for mold and throwing away more than half a loaf every week.
    Keep an old bread bag. Next time you buy bread, take half the loaf out and freeze it. There's less of a quality hit from thawed frozen bread than dry ass fridge bread.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    I wouldn't trust that they got rid of the old even if they had such a day.
    They won't get rid of the older bread it unless it's past the sell by date. In fact they probably put the new bread on the shelf behind the old bread so people buy the older stuff first. That's what they did at the store I used to work at.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Leak View Post
    They won't get rid of the older bread it unless it's past the sell by date. In fact they probably put the new bread on the shelf behind the old bread so people buy the older stuff first. That's what they did at the store I used to work at.
    I've never heard of putting bread in the fridge. Freezer? Yep. Pantry? Double check. But not the fridge. I've had bread last a month in a dark pantry without any sign of mold. I wonder if places that do non-fridge chicken eggs have the same shock when hearing I've always put eggs in the fridge though.

Someone should do a study.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Buy smaller amounts of bread more often... then you don't have to worrying about it going bad or do weird shit like refrigerating and freezing it.