Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bread preservation methodology

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Leak View Post
    They won't get rid of the older bread it unless it's past the sell by date. In fact they probably put the new bread on the shelf behind the old bread so people buy the older stuff first. That's what they did at the store I used to work at.
    FIFO.

First in, first out. That's the rule, if you ave foresight, you'll always grab the grub from the back.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    I've never heard of putting bread in the fridge. Freezer? Yep. Pantry? Double check. But not the fridge. I've had bread last a month in a dark pantry without any sign of mold. I wonder if places that do non-fridge chicken eggs have the same shock when hearing I've always put eggs in the fridge though.

Someone should do a study.
    I always throw it in the fridge, since discovering that most bakery bread goes stale faster than I can eat it. It's going to get toasted anyway.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

fry cook on Venus bass_n_treble's Avatar
    Type
    INTJ
    Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    People are storing bread in the fridge?
    I'm not a food snob. It's a distraction and I wish I didn't have to eat at all.

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by bass_n_treble View Post
    I'm not a food snob. It's a distraction and I wish I didn't have to eat at all.
    I'm sorry your taste buds have failed you. Eating great food is one of humanity's top pleasures, next to sex and maybe taking a really great poop.

So yeah, never put the bread in the fridge. It accelerates the staling process. Although if you're using the bread exclusively for toast (i.e., Faust), then it really doesn't matter.

fry cook on Venus bass_n_treble's Avatar
    Type
    INTJ
    I'm sorry your taste buds have failed you. Eating great food is one of humanity's top pleasures, next to sex and maybe taking a really great poop.
    They haven't failed me. I still like food, just not to the extent I'm going to take pictures of meals or share recipes or even remember what I ate an hour later.

The best poops are the ones that don't show up on toilet paper FYI. Excretion is such an inefficient process

By the way, the best bread is Dave's Killer Bread. I bought it as a joke one day (the label is hysterical) but it's really good.

Type
    INTP
    So yeah, never put the bread in the fridge. It accelerates the staling process. Although if you're using the bread exclusively for toast (i.e., Faust), then it really doesn't matter.
    What are you talking about? Left out the fancy stuff will turn into a dry, inedible rock in like 3 days. The fridge keeps in some level of moisture.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

How I feel right now wrt bread.

Type
    INtP
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Should+I+store+bread+in+the+fridge

I'm not a damn scientist, I can't speak to your individual loaves you're buying. If that works for you, great. Don't encourage others astray because anecdotally I have never eaten untoasted fridge bread that wasn't shitty.

Type
    INtP
    I am reading my posts and am realizing they make me sound way more invested in this topic than I am.

Type
    intp
    How about tomatoes? Fridge or cupboard?