Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quotes from books or articles you're reading

Type
    INFP

Quotes from books or articles you're reading

Preferably (but not necessarily) say what you think about the quote(s).

here's one:
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Doc>, by Anne Carson
    You'll Never Be Lost Again: The Complete Guide to Improving Your Sense of Direction a book on sale in supermarkets was helpful through Chapter 1 ("You Are Here") and Chapter 2 ("Tools and Attitude") but turned frightening in Chapter 3 which posed the question Why does a mirror reverse your image from L to R but not top to bottom? not front to back? Approaching mirrors sideways she would hope and not hope to surprise the back of her head. Studying You'll Never's diagrams made a sensible crease but not quite a pain in her brain.
    I don't have anything to say about it. just thought it was funny.

Type
    XXXX
    "To read in the service of any ideology is not, in my judgement, to read at all. The reception of aesthetic power enables us to learn how to talk to ourselves and how to endure ourselves. The true use of Shakespeare or of Cervantes, of Homer or of Dante, of Chaucer or of Rabelais, is to augment one's own growing inner self. Reading deeply in the Canon will not make one a better or worse person, a more useful or more harmful citizen. The minds dialogue with itself is not primarily a social reality. All that the Western Canon can bring one is the proper use of ones own solitude, that solitude whose final form is one's confrontation with one's own mortality."

-Harold Bloom, The Western Canon.

Type
    INTP
    "In his compassionate attitude to animals, Bloom even feeds seagulls, which I personally consider to be nasty birds with drunkards' eyes." Vladimir Nabokov, Lectures on Literature

I thought it was funny. Also, in my copy, drunkards' is incorrectly written drunkard's -- but you can't blame Nabokov because this was not published in his lifetime.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Carson McCullers, The Ballad of the Sad Cafe
    First of all, love is a joint experience between two persons-- but the fact that is a joint experience does not mean that it is a similar experience to the two people involved. There are the lover and the beloved, but these two come from different countries. Often the beloved is only a stimulus for all the stored-up love which has lain quiet within the lover for a long time hitherto. And somehow every lover knows this. He feels in his soul that his love is a solitary thing. He comes to know a new, strange loneliness and it is this knowledge which makes him suffer. So there is only one thing for the lover to do. He must house his love within himself as best he can; he must create for himself a whole new inward world--a world intense and strange, complete in himself. Let it be added here that this lover about whom we speak need not necessarily be a young man saving for a wedding ring--this lover can be man, woman, child, or indeed any human creature on this earth (...) It is for this reason that most of us would rather love than be loved. Almost everyone wants to be the lover. And the curt truth is that, in a deep secret way, the state of being beloved is intolerable to many. The beloved fears and hates the lover, and with the best of reasons. For the lover is forever trying to strip bare his beloved. The lover craves any possible relation with the beloved, even if this experience can cause him only pain.
    I hope not.

Type
    XXXX
    Just reading, reading, reading, absorbing "Suttree's" beautiful poetic language, then Bam! "The sun like a bunghole to a greater hell beyond." I giggled like a child for a solid minute, at least.

Type
    INFP
    Quote Originally Posted by Joan Didion
    This particular house on the sea had itself been very much part of the Sixties, and for some months after we took possession I would come across souvenirs of that period in its history–a piece of Scientology literature beneath a drawer lining, a copy of Stranger in a Strange Land stuck deep on a closet shelf– but after a while we did some construction, and between the power saws and the sea wind the place got exorcised.
    Quote Originally Posted by In Cold Blood
    “And certain sounds returned — a silver dollar rolling across a floor, boot steps on hardwood stairs, and the sounds of breathing, the gasps, the hysterical inhalations of a man with a severed windpipe.”
    :/

Quote Originally Posted by Haruki Murakami
    What I think is this: You should give up looking for lost cats and start searching for the other half of your shadow.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Saunders
    You know that feeling at the end of the day, when the anxiety of that-which-I-must-do falls away and, for maybe the first time that day, you see, with some clarity, the people you love and the ways you have, during that day, slightly ignored them, turned away from them to get back to what you were doing, blurted out some mildly hurtful thing, projected, instead of the deep love you really feel, a surge of defensiveness or self-protection or suspicion? That moment when you think, Oh God, what have I done with this day? And what am I doing with my life? And how must I change to avoid catastrophic end-of-life regrets?

I feel like that now: tired of the Me I've always been, tired of making the same mistakes, repetitively stumbling after the same small ego strokes, being caught in the same loops of anxiety and defensiveness. At the end of my life, I know I won't be wishing I'd held more back, been less effusive, more often stood on ceremony, forgiven less, spent more days oblivious to the secret wishes and fears of the people around me
    "Better not to feel too much until the crisis ends—and if it never ends, at least we’ll have suffered a little less, developed a useful dullness...The constant—and very real—fear of being hurt, the fear of death, of intolerable loss, or even of “mere” humiliation, leads each of us, the citizens and prisoners of the conflict, to dampen our own vitality, our emotional and intellectual range, and to cloak ourselves in more and more protective layers until we suffocate." - Toni Morrison

Type
    INTx
    I read this many years ago (more than a decade) and since then my interests have moved on but it's still worth noting.

Psychedelic Reflections
    Grinspoon, Lester; Bakalar, James
    Published by Human Sciences Pr, 1983
    ISBN 10: 0898851297 / ISBN 13: 9780898851298

"A more general view of their [psychedelics] effects on perception, thought, and feeling":

First, sensory perceptions become especially brilliant and intense. Normally unnoticed aspects of the environment capture the attention; ordinary objects are seen as if for the first time and acquire new depths of significance. Aesthetic responses are greatly heightened: colors seem more intense, textures richer, contours sharpened, music more emotionally profound, the spatial arrangements of objects more meaningful. People may feel keener awareness of their bodies or sense changes in the appearance and feeling of body parts. Depth perception is often heightened and perspective distorted; inanimate objects take on expressions, and synesthesia (hearing colors, seeing sounds, etc.) is common. Time may seem to slow down enormously as more and more passing events claim the attention, or it may stop entirely, giving place to an eternal present. When the eyes are closed, fantastically vivid images appear: first geometrical forms and then landscapes, buildings, animate beings, and symbolic objects.

The emotional effects are even more profound than the perceptual ones. The drug taker becomes unusually sensitive to faces, gestures, and small changes in the environment. As everything in the field of consciousness assumes unusual importance, feelings become magnified; love, gratitude, joy, sympathy, lust, anger, pain, terror, despair, or loneliness may become overwhelming, or two seemingly incompatible feelings may be experienced at once. It is possible to feel either unusual openness and closeness to others or exaggerated distance that makes them seem like grotesque puppets or robots. The extraordinary sensations and feelings may bring on fear of losing control, paranoia, and panic, or they may cause euphoria and bliss.

Short-term memory is usually impaired, but forgotten incidents from the remote past may be released from the unconscious and relived. Introspective reflection with a sense of deep, sometimes painful insight into oneself or the nature of humanity and the universe is common; often the experience seems somehow more real or more essential than everyday life. There are also profound changes in the sense of self: the ego may separate from the body (dissociation), or the boundary between self and environment may dissolve.

At deeper levels, drug users may regress to childhood as they relive their memories, or they may project themselves into the series of dreamlike images before their closed eyelids and become the protagonists of symbolic dramas enacted for the mind's eye. Actions, persons, and images in this dream-world or even in the external world may become so intensely significant and metaphorically representative that they take on the character of symbols, myths, and allegories. Loss of self may be experienced as an actual death and rebirth, undergone with anguish and joy of overwhelming intensity. In some cases the culmination is a mystical ecstasy in which for an eternal moment all contradictions seem reconciled, all questions answered, all wants irrelevant or satisfied, all existence encompassed by an experience that is felt to define the ultimate reality, boundless, timeless, and ineffable.

Some of these effects are more common than others, but none are guaranteed to occur. Many recreational users have probably never experienced the more profound and extraordinary effects, which are usually produced by larger doses, closed eyes, and deep introspection. At any dose, a great deal depends on the time, the place, and the persons involved. Each drug experience is a unique journey of exploration into the mind.
    "Do not try to satisfy your vanity by teaching a great many things. Awake their curiosity. It is enough to open their minds, do not overload them. Put there just a spark. If there is some good inflammable stuff, it will catch fire." -- Anatole France

-
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    Ballad of the Sad Café
    You would tremendously enjoy this.

This is what one particularly illustrious reviewer wrote about it:
    Quote Originally Posted by Friedrich Nietzsche
    In the euphonious movement of its prose, in the sublimity and beauty of the figures that appear in it, Hyperion makes an impression upon me similar to the beat of the waves of the troubled sea. Indeed, this prose is music, soft melting sounds interrupted by painful dissonances, finally expiring in dark, uncanny dirges.
    __________________________________________________ ______

Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Haruki Murakami
    What I think is this: You should give up looking for lost cats and start searching for the other half of your shadow.
    Mr Wind-up Bird!

Type
    INFP
    @Sappho thanks! I ordered it through interlibrary loan.

-------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by My Bright Abyss
    There is nothing more difficult to outgrow than anxieties that have become useful to us, whether as explanations for a life that never quite finds its true force or direction, or as fuel for ambition, or as a kind of reflexive secular religion that, paradoxically, unites us with others in a shared sense of complete isolation: you feel at home in the world only by never feeling at home in the world.
    "Better not to feel too much until the crisis ends—and if it never ends, at least we’ll have suffered a little less, developed a useful dullness...The constant—and very real—fear of being hurt, the fear of death, of intolerable loss, or even of “mere” humiliation, leads each of us, the citizens and prisoners of the conflict, to dampen our own vitality, our emotional and intellectual range, and to cloak ourselves in more and more protective layers until we suffocate." - Toni Morrison

Type
    INTP
    "We need to put the fear of God into those young gentlemen lying about the North Sea attacking all and sundry without let or hindrance."

-- A British admiral speaking about submarines, 1913.
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro