View Poll Results: What's your pain threshold.

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Low - I'm a wimp.

3 18.75%
  • Average

3 18.75%
  • High - I can handle some pain

8 50.00%
  • Other/Protest

2 12.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pain Threshold

Type
    INTP

Pain Threshold

What's your pain threshold?

I've been told that I have a high pain threshold on several occasions. The most recent time was when a doctor asked me about the worst pain I've ever experienced based off this chart.

I said 7. I was told that my pain threshold must be high because most people say 10. I thought that was strange. How can that most people have experienced the worst pain possible? I wonder if other people just compare it to what they've already experienced. The way I see it, is I can always imagine worse pain than what I'm experiencing so I'm not going to say 10. I base it off of pain that I'm imagining is worse.

Type
    INTP
    I would guess about average, but it's difficult to really know. I've never broken a bone, passed kidney stones, had traumatic dental experiences, etc. I'd have a hard time saying what the most painful thing I've experienced is.

A 100lb weight plate fell on my ankle yesterday, that hurt.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Leak View Post
    The way I see it, is I can always imagine worse pain than what I'm experiencing so I'm not going to say 10. I base it off of pain that I'm imagining is worse.
    Well then you've clearly never been bitten by bullet ants. It absolutely defies what you're imagining pain feels like. It's like a transcendental experience that completely takes over your entire ego and replaces every last iota of it with nothing but pure, refined, excruciating pain. If you realize you've been bitten by one, you should immediately get on the ground and start screaming because that's all you're going to do anyway. Last time this happened to me I was trying to pick a tamarind. As I post this to a fellow INTP I realize you might be slightly curious like "I wonder what that would be like?" I can tell you that you won't like it, but the venom is fairly harmless other than creating incredible pain. So, feel free to find a bullet ant and experiment without too much worry. Umm ... but don't come back later and be like "You fucker! Why did you tell me that!?!" Seriously, it's painful unlike anything else short of being on fire, probably. I've never actually been on fire.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    INTP
    Why does the worst pain ever have to involve crying? I've had a lot of pain, kidney stones, childbirth (with and without drugs) a spinal injection (that hurt) broken bones, teeth drilled without anesthesia, a bout of PID once, migraines, what was likely a mild heart attack....that/sb all I can think of off the top of my head. Anyway, there was no crying. By that scale I would say I have maybe hit an 8, and that would probably be a tie between the shot to the spine and kidney stones.
    You're using big words right now that you don't know the meaning of and you're capitalizing them. You shouldn't do that. ~Osito

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Why does the worst pain ever have to involve crying? I've had a lot of pain, kidney stones, childbirth (with and without drugs) a spinal injection (that hurt) broken bones, teeth drilled without anesthesia, a bout of PID once, migraines, what was likely a mild heart attack....that/sb all I can think of off the top of my head. Anyway, there was no crying. By that scale I would say I have maybe hit an 8, and that would probably be a tie between the shot to the spine and kidney stones.
    Because you are a sissy. I never cry, except just now when you said that.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Browser View Post
    Because you are a sissy. I never cry, except just now when you said that.
    Is English a second language for you?
    You're using big words right now that you don't know the meaning of and you're capitalizing them. You shouldn't do that. ~Osito

Type
    xxxx
    Pains that have required bedrest and copious amounts of weeping for me:

> menstrual cramps
    > gastroenteritis
    > bacterial infection of wisdom tooth
    > depression
    > losing at chess

I'd say probably 8 or 9 though. I've heard cluster headaches are the worst pain imaginable.
    "I fucking hate the cold!" - Wim Hof

art and flowers: https://www.instagram.com/kalililt/
    https://au.pinterest.com/kalililt/

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP

/if it were a two or above I wouldn't be able to answer because it would mean a pause in the screaming...

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Is English a second language for you?
    Fourth. Are you implying that I have deficincies? Because I would hold that against you and think less of you for it.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Browser View Post
    Because I would hold that against you and think less of you for it.
    Oh, heavens. I just couldn't bear the thought. Now I can say that I have endured a 10 on the pain scale.