Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are you, your MBTI type?

Type
    XNTP
    If someone wants to share there what they believe their MBTI type it is already on description information.

I was kind of hope for so in depth self-analysation here. Yes, you are, such and such, type but in detail why not some other type.

I know there are many MBTI purist that believe typology is a hard science and they may be right.

However, I have come to the conclusion it's a tool for self-analyzation and I was hoping to see some detail analyzation here for why people think they are their type.

The only reason I am challenging anyone is to try and get something deeper out of them. Yes, you may be INTP (or something else) but why besides tests and quick ideas like I'm: socially awkward, a dreamer, who doesn't feel, and is always late. Believe it or not, those descriptions can apply to any type and they may be more normal for INTP and less healthy for other types but this doesn't make you an INTP.

It simply makes you a quirky person welcome to the world of quirky people.

I have no issue with what any has written so far I am just hoping people can go deeper. Most of you are NT correct. NT's love to go deep pass the surface details.
    If you have any questions about my writing skills, fill free to look up my discussion about this on the thread: My Writing Skills

You are the worlds foremost expert on yourself.

Type
    INXj
    As I've posted in another thread, I tested INTJ in college. I studied MBTI and Jung's functions until I satiated my own curiousity. I am no means an expert but do consider myself a functionista. I believe that looking at personality in a dichomotous fashion is simply limiting. Could be applicable to temperament but personality is more fluid than that. The main criticism I have for MBTI is that it dismisses the theory that one could develop their tertiary function well enough to use.

I have quite a strong Fi than most INTJs but a well-developed Te than most INFPs. I tend to fit more like an INTJ at work but more like an F with my most intimate relationships. I'm definitely introverted and prefer structure over chaos. I resolved a long time ago that I am no INFJ.

I think that if we all think rationally, the world could be a much better place. However, I think our emotions and feelings and their expressions make our experience in this world much more interesting. I think Thinkers are no better than Feelers, and I silently judge those who think otherwise ha.

Type
    XNTP
    Not feeling isn't a condition of being a T. Its a condition of being or psychopath.

T types do feel things often as much or more than F types. The difference is that T tend to discard their emotions as irrational when making choices and expressing themselves. This isn't to say that T types are incapable of expressing emotion they simply prefer to express themselves through analytics and mental processes.

T type while generally having higher IQ scores than F types come in all shade of the IQ spectrum. The same goes for F types. Both types have an Average IQ of close to 100. My wife who is a borderline F/T has an IQ close to if not higher than my own (she refused to test it) and I am a solid T.
    If you have any questions about my writing skills, fill free to look up my discussion about this on the thread: My Writing Skills

Type
    XNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    As I've posted in another thread, I tested INTJ in college. I studied MBTI and Jung's functions until I satiated my own curiousity. I am no means an expert but do consider myself a functionista. I believe that looking at personality in a dichomotous fashion is simply limiting. Could be applicable to temperament but personality is more fluid than that. The main criticism I have for MBTI is that it dismisses the theory that one could develop their tertiary function well enough to use.

I have quite a strong Fi than most INTJs but a well-developed Te than most INFPs. I tend to fit more like an INTJ at work but more like an F with my most intimate relationships. I'm definitely introverted and prefer structure over chaos. I resolved a long time ago that I am no INFJ.

I think that if we all think rationally, the world could be a much better place. However, I think our emotions and feelings and their expressions make our experience in this world much more interesting. I think Thinkers are no better than Feelers, and I silently judge those who think otherwise ha.
    Thank you for your detailed post.

I agree that personality is more fluid than MBTI accounts for. However, I do think personality is very difficult to when you pass your adolescent years and your brain stops developing. Not impossible by the way just difficult.

I use to be one of those people that thought T's were better than F's. I also understand why T and F each think they are better. This is your decision-making process and if you thought you could make better decisions using emotions vs reason you would like try to develop that more. The T/F spectrum (I like spectrum better than dichotomy) is, in my opinion, the developed trait. For me personally, I was a very scared child growing up and often exploded with anger, resentment, and fear. However, it came to a point where my explosions themselves started to scare me. Causing me to retreat into rationality as a safety mechanism. As a teen, this tendency (to retreat into rationalism) grew to the point where I didn't even realize I was circumventing my emotions anymore. This process has made me feel safe to the point that it is now very much a part of who I am.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by AntisocialENTP View Post
    If someone wants to share there what they believe their MBTI type it is already on description information. I was kind of hope for so in depth self-analysation here. Yes, you are, such and such, type but in detail why not some other type.
    OK, I'll do a dump without trying to specify which profile(s) it is mentioned in

• Lifelong fascination with computers. Pwned the internet from the days it was the arpanet (information junkie) and programming obsessive
    • Logical obsessive. When programming I'll 'write' an entire program in my head without touching the keyboard over a period of months, then in one great orgasmic gush will pour it all out in a feverish dump. Kind of freaks my colleagues out to see me do nothing for months, then see 20k lines get written in a few weeks. I figure it all out in my head to arrive at the most pure structure before committing it to machine
    • Am puzzled by the emotions of others and myself. Don't know what I'm feeling, usually my wife will know something is up with me long before I realize it. Then I have to go off into a corner to think about it until I figure out what I'm feeling (this is Fi in the Demon).
    • I appear warm and approachable (Ne + Fe). I'm much more personable than the ISTJ's I work with, for example.
    • Life long love of complex orchestral music
    • Enjoy taking pictures, and mainly to get a feel for the "ambiance" of the place (this is a Paul James one)
    • Lifelong obsession with figuring out 'my thing'.
    • Constantly digging out the theory behind events, and weaving everything I come into contact with into a theory. For example, when meeting somebody they'll get filed somewhere in the MBTI taxonomy. Political and economic events are compiled into economic theory (politics these days is primarily the handmaiden of economics). And so on (my degrees are in physics so of course physical events get filed there, and I've tacked on biology theory as well. Oh and Information Theory too naturally)
    • Put up with small talk for maybe 10 minutes before getting bored.
    • Hate going places, have only gone between work and my house for some 3 years (along with plenty of local walks to the library and around nature). (Kant/INTP never left his home town)

Getting bored but you get the idea ..

full of shit Dr. Fungi the Fifth's Avatar
    Type
    intp
    Not feeling isn't a condition of being a T. Its a condition of being or psychopath.

T types do feel things often as much or more than F types. The difference is that T tend to discard their emotions as irrational when making choices and expressing themselves. This isn't to say that T types are incapable of expressing emotion they simply prefer to express themselves through analytics and mental processes.
    You stated this extremely well. A lot of people seem to misunderstand this, and some may even pretend that they don't have feelings, but it's for better-or-worse a reality. A xxTx can actually be more empathetic than an xxFx in certain situations, but the former type will try to not let these emotions affect their decision-making, and prefer an objective approach if possible.

Is there data to support that T-types have higher IQs on average? If I recall correctly, most of what I read regarding MBTI and intelligence found correlations when it came to the P and J preferences, and I believe the S and N preferences.

Type
    XNTP
    Quote Originally Posted by md5fungi View Post
    You stated this extremely well. A lot of people seem to misunderstand this, and some may even pretend that they don't have feelings, but it's for better-or-worse a reality. A xxTx can actually be more empathetic than an xxFx in certain situations, but the former type will try to not let these emotions affect their decision-making, and prefer an objective approach if possible.

Is there data to support that T-types have higher IQs on average? If I recall correctly, most of what I read regarding MBTI and intelligence found correlations when it came to the P and J preferences, and I believe the S and N preferences.
    Sorry, I don't have any primary sources. I just get this information from websites on MBTI. I not sure where their information comes from so I don't any primary resources. I assume that these facts are true because it makes logical sense to me that people who prefer thinking would practice logic and become on average better at IQ tests. That being said practice only helps so much and intelligence not being a factor in personality there should be an even split of T and F at each among IQ scores.

Type
    INXj
    Sorry, I don't have any primary sources. I just get this information from websites on MBTI. I not sure where their information comes from so I don't any primary resources. I assume that these facts are true because it makes logical sense to me that people who prefer thinking would practice logic and become on average better at IQ tests. That being said practice only helps so much and intelligence not being a factor in personality there should be an even split of T and F at each among IQ scores.
    Don't call your opinion as facts when you have no evidence to support your claim. That's intellectual dishonesty.

fry cook on Venus bass_n_treble's Avatar
    Type
    INTJ
    I originally found the INTP Central forum as a result of having taken a test on mypersonality.info

That reminds me, is this forum linked to any outside websites like that? Granted I haven't been back long but it seems like we don't get a ton of thru-traffic. Like, what happens on a Google search for INTP forum? Is the site high up on the result?

Anyhow, I tested as an INTP for a while but as I spent some time with supposed like-minded folks I found something didn't click quite right. I was analogous to the personalities but something was off. I was more socially-minded and results-oriented with a heavier reliance on intuition than implementation of data systems. I am indifferent to drain from social events because my job requires high interpersonal skills and my social life is mostly one or two friends at a time. I've never had a problem making friends, in fact summer is difficult because of what I call "the Saturday juggle".

On reading up on other rational types, I've found that I don't have the energy to be ENTP (although they are infinitely the most entertaining and kind people). I once tested as INTJ as a teen so I started reading up on MBTI functions and found they definitely rely more on intuition, external observations and testing and results rather than "learning for learning's sake". I don't bother studying something unless I can use it, and while superficially I can understand and even admire the desire to learn just to keep the muscles flexing, ultimately I don't see the point in laying foundation unless you're going to build upon it.

Here is an article about the truest difference between myself and others here. While I pride myself on being objective, concise (brevity being the soul of wit etc.), my real inner-workings are about deeply rooted personal convictions that I don't really share with anyone, guarded like Fort Knox.

Type
    INXP
    I like @Dr. Fungi the Fifth's idea. It may help me narrow something down, which should be obvious when I write it.

I: I am most sure of this over everything else. Some people have said they thing I could be ESTP, but I lack the energy, people sense (which is saying a lot because ESTPs are not known for people skills), aggression, and engagement with the outside world to be an ESTP.
    N/S: I go in flux between these quite often. On the one hand I am not at all an adrenaline junkie and I don't really like taking physical risks and on the other I find myself to have an above average control over my body. On the one hand I love talking about ideas and on the other I am much more of a depth before breadth type person. I could say more but meh..
    T: The only thing that gives me pause here is that I have quite a bit of sympathy for people. That said, I really don't think my heart rules my decisions and I have always been told by my mother that I am such a deep thinker.
    P: This one is pretty clear cut. However, I have learned to make appointments on time and such. My natural inclination is to keep my options open tho.
    But your individuality and your present need will be swept away by change,
    and what you now ardently desire will one day become the object of abhorrence.
    ~ Schiller - 'Psychological Types'