Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Can you do a flat footed squat?

Type
    IXTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    I wonder if Senseye is correct. Lack of furniture? Flexibility? Or maybe toilets? Ha.

Boris explains it in this video

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    LOL. I noticed that guy on the left when avolkiteshvara posted that image, too. But the term Slav squat was coined for a reason.

I wonder if Senseye is correct. Lack of furniture? Flexibility? Or maybe toilets? Ha.
    I saw a Japanese tea ceremony demonstration in which they pulled a few folks from the western audience. The participants all had to sit like this for about half an hour.

It was pretty funny, especially when they were done and all the Japanese ladies, some of whom were fairly old, stood up with no problem, and the young Americans were all pretty much crippled for the next 15 minutes.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    xxxx
    i didn't even know this was hard (or impossible!) for some people.

so i had to google and found this article... it mentions "tight calf muscles"

Your problem is tight calf muscles. You didn't grow up squatting on a regular basis so your calf muscles shortened. Women who wear high heals every day have an even worse problem with this as they find they can't wear flat shoes or go bearfoot comfortably. Shortened calf muscles caused from wearing shoes with heals higher than the ball of the foot (even an inch or less) is also a main contributing cause to plantar fasciitis.

Anyway, the solution takes time as you must slowly stretch the calf muscles to allow a proper flat footed squat. Stretch two or three times per day every day of the week and within a few months you'll have no problem with a comfortable flat footed squat.
    i can believe that although it doesn't explain why asians (including those who didn't grow up with squat toilets) can do it.

idk about the shorter legs theory... in theory, then, anybody with "short legs" would be able to do it.

edit: another article

The famous “Asian Squat” migrated (read: squat hopped) from India to Asia, predating modern furniture.

Recently, scientists have found that frequent squatting actually leaves a record in people’s bones. It’s called a “squatting facet” and can be found in the ankle joint. Basically, infants are born with this facet from being in the foetal position during pregnancy, but only people who frequently squat during childhood and adulthood retain the markers on their ankle bones.

In cultures where squatting is part of life, squatting facets are well formed. In these societies, frequent squatting is often associated with low cooking stoves like cooking over an open fire. It can also be associated with planting and harvesting rice, which involves spending hours in the fields squatting among the shoots.

Scientists have analysed 100,000-year-old Stone-Age bones that were discovered in South Africa. They concluded that due to extra growth of bones in the foot, that they engaged in squatting quite frequently. Archaeological evidence also suggests that Europeans used to squat frequently through the Middle Ages until different stoves and furniture caused living spaces to be rearranged, and lead people to sit more and squat less often.
    TIL.

i don't notice when i do the squat, it's so natural, but if i really think, i do it a lot in my daily life.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 09-08-2017 at 04:21 PM.
    The most beautiful paintings in existence today are the ones which were not painted by anyone.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    plantar fasciitis
    I have that and I can still do the squats easily and with no pain. Plantar fasciitis only affects me with some pain when I walk.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    INTP
    Aaaaaaaaa. "heals" and "bearfoot". I could have ignored one or the other, but both, and heals being used so consistently. My filter is overwhelmed.

Obviously this article was about druids in World of Warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    I have that and I can still do the squats easily and with no pain. Plantar fasciitis only affects me with some pain when I walk.
    The article didn't say plantar fasciitis was the reason a person couldn't squat, they said it was another thing that wearing shoes with an elevated heel could cause. Except they called it a heal.
    "They can't all be zingers." --Cupcake

Type
    INTx
    She says her 100 squats/day over 2 weeks didn't make a real difference in her butt or thighs. After careful study, I have to differ. I see an improvement in muscle definition in those areas in the after (right) picture.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    The picture doesn't help. She needs a scale and tape measure. And I wouldn't exercise like that. Risky for the knees. I do 10 reps max sometimes but I warm up a little first then I gradually work up to a full squat. I don't do a decent squat until like the sixth or seventh rep.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    INTx
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    The picture doesn't help. She needs a scale and tape measure. And I wouldn't exercise like that. Risky for the knees. I do 10 reps max sometimes but I warm up a little first then I gradually work up to a full squat. I don't do a decent squat until like the sixth or seventh rep.
    I did two sets of 10 squats today and felt like I had more in me but capped it there. Afterwards I do feel sore in my legs, specifically in the back inner thigh region.

Today is the first day I started to incorporate lower body into my exercise routine (besides bike commuting to work). Other than that, my routine has been limited to pullups, pushups, dumb bell curls, and dumb bell overhead presses.

Today, I also did side to side lunges and these sexy waist exercises. I was able to do them all. Though I couldn't touch my toes in the position of the last exercise.