Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overheard Stupid Shit

Overheard Stupid Shit

Thread title makes sense, right?

From a professor today before class: "...yeah, I guarantee that if they instituted mandatory daily torture for all prisoners then those guys would stop reoffending."

Type
    ENTP
    Quote Originally Posted by pathogenetic_peripatetic View Post
    From a professor today before class: "...yeah, I guarantee that if they instituted mandatory daily torture for all prisoners then those guys would stop reoffending."
    He's probably right though, isn't he?
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Quote Originally Posted by Polemarch View Post
    He's probably right though, isn't he?
    How about you spend some time in prison and then come back and tell me how it doesn't suck hard enough.

Type
    ENTP
    How about you spend some time in prison and then come back and tell me how it doesn't suck hard enough.
    You seem to have strong feelings on this topic.

How much does prison suck? And do you think it's an effective deterrent to recidivism? If so, why do people reoffend?

I thought "mandatory daily torture" was dumb enough to not be contentious.

People don't commit crimes because they think it will be worth the prison time. They commit crimes because they think they'll get away with them and not have to go to prison at all. Increased police presence has been shown to have much more of a dramatic effect on crime rates than increased sentences. Of course, it's not as appealing to the sadistic fantasies of sheltered idiots who think prison doesn't really sound that bad.

Type
    ENTP
    I thought "mandatory daily torture" was dumb enough to not be contentious.
    I'd say it's more of an unpopular opinion than a patently dumb thing to think. Sometimes the difference between the two has more to do with the audience than the speaker.

People don't commit crimes because they think it will be worth the prison time. They commit crimes because they think they'll get away with them and not have to go to prison at all. Increased police presence has been shown to have much more of a dramatic effect on crime rates than increased sentences. Of course, it's not as appealing to the sadistic fantasies of sheltered idiots who think prison doesn't really sound that bad.
    Right, but we're talking about recidivism, not first-time offenders. I can see a first-time criminal offending without a cost-benefit analysis of the possible consequences. But once you've been to prison, you know what to expect. If people are willing to risk going back a second time, then I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest that it's not a functional deterrent against reoffending.

I'm not in favor of torture in prisons, for totally different reasons. I just don't think his statement is incorrect. If prison were sufficiently horrible, I think fear would be a powerful motivator to avoid it.

Type
    INTP
    People don't commit crimes because they think it will be worth the prison time.
    There is some evidence that people consider the consequences of being caught before planning their crimes. I do agree most expect not to be caught, but I also think most consider the risk worth the reward, which is to say, they think it's worth the time.
    --Mention of these things is so taboo, they aren't even allowed a name for the prohibition. It is just not done.

Quote Originally Posted by Polemarch View Post
    I'd say it's more of an unpopular opinion than a patently dumb thing to think.
    Wrong on both counts. Every idiot out there thinks we need to be more "tough on crime".

Right, but we're talking about recidivism, not first-time offenders. I can see a first-time criminal offending without a cost-benefit analysis of the possible consequences. But once you've been to prison, you know what to expect. If people are willing to risk going back a second time, then I don't think it's ridiculous to suggest that it's not a functional deterrent against reoffending.
    Did I mention first-time offenders? Do you honestly think I'm gonna do a cost-benefit analysis of whether or not it's a good decision to violate my parole by busting out car windows in an attempt to keep my meth high going? The last time you were speeding were you thinking about whether you had a spare few hundred bucks for the fine or whether there were likely to be any cops around?

Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    There is some evidence that people consider the consequences of being caught before planning their crimes. I do agree most expect not to be caught, but I also think most consider the risk worth the reward, which is to say, they think it's worth the time.
    You could make the penalty for every single crime being beaten slowly to death with a rubber hose and people would still commit crimes.

For fuck's sake people, can we just agree that suggesting mandatory daily torture in prisons is stupid as fuck and move on with some other idiotic shit we've overheard?

Type
    eNTP
    "I don't think I've ever eaten anything gluten-free before in my life"

- some girl in the break room

Merry Christmas
    Type
    INFP
    "They would make such a cute power couple."

"The thing about this lotion is, it repels the skin."

(approximation of something I heard a classmate say last semester) "Everyone here cares so much about environmentalism, so why do so many people take the bus to [location near campus]? I always drive my prius there to save energy."