Thread: Favorite apps for self-improvement

Type
    xxxx

Favorite apps for self-improvement

which ones do you use?

these are the ones i use currently:

+ habitica: habit/task tracker with rpg theme. you find items, raise pets to mounts, and level up your character. the browser view is also really nice.

+ duolingo: language learning. i'm currently learning norwegian and this is my favorite procrastination activity. the website is MUCH better than the app, though.

+ brainscape: flashcards. i use this to study vocabulary to supplement my language learning on duo. i've also used this to study/learn world geography.

+ goodreads: track books, read (& write) reviews, follow your friends, find books to read. i can't wait til i have free time to read again!

+ plant nanny: for making sure i drink enough water throughout the day. when you drink, you water a virtual plant. i love this concept a lot but i'm open to a similar one with better design.

+ i also use a period tracker app. it lets me know when i'm really, really stressed out cuz my cycle gets all fucked up. i experienced tons of weird shit these past few months, and that's what my body's telling me too. i'm kinda curious if anybody else uses one, and which one.
    The most beautiful paintings in existence today are the ones which were not painted by anyone.

Type
    xxxx
    threads on INTPx if anybody wants to discuss / join in:

habitica

duolingo

goodreads

btw these all have a some sort of groups or friends feature, if anyone reading this is interested and could benefit from being in a like-minded group. i'm friends with several members here on duo and goodreads and like to see from time to time what you're up to.

i'm already in a habitica group, but some of you could form a group there if you have trouble staying on track with your life.

i'm the only one active on duo right now. this has to change!
    The most beautiful paintings in existence today are the ones which were not painted by anyone.

Type
    xxxx
    + daylio: mood tracker, meant to be used as a mini-diary. this tells me i've turned into a zombie over these past few months cuz my workload is hardcore and turns me into a machine. it's disgusting and i'm keeping track of it.

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    + daylio: mood tracker, meant to be used as a mini-diary. this tells me i've turned into a zombie over these past few months cuz my workload is hardcore and turns me into a machine. it's disgusting and i'm keeping track of it.
    well i’m uninstalling this since i haven’t touched it in weeks.

I have been using toggl for the past few weeks and having some success with it. It's for time-logging, and the main reason I chose it out of all the time-logging apps is because it has a chrome extension that integrates it with todoist so I can track how long I spend doing items on my todo list. Mainly though, I use it for extended work sessions where I might not be finishing the item by the end of the session. I like to track how many hours I spend working each day, it gives me a sense of having been productive. I also find that having a timer running helps me to stay focused.

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    I have been using toggl for the past few weeks and having some success with it. It's for time-logging, and the main reason I chose it out of all the time-logging apps is because it has a chrome extension that integrates it with todoist so I can track how long I spend doing items on my todo list. Mainly though, I use it for extended work sessions where I might not be finishing the item by the end of the session. I like to track how many hours I spend working each day, it gives me a sense of having been productive. I also find that having a timer running helps me to stay focused.
    nice, i could use something like that. i'm gonna try it out.

Type
    INXj
    Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    + i also use a period tracker app. it lets me know when i'm really, really stressed out cuz my cycle gets all fucked up. i experienced tons of weird shit these past few months, and that's what my body's telling me too. i'm kinda curious if anybody else uses one, and which one.
    Which app are you using? I used Life Period before and I got a little paranoid with data sharing so I uninstalled it. I'd be off pills soon. I'm wondering if there's an app I can track bodily changes alongside period as well.
    Siriusly Black.

Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    Which app are you using? I used Life Period before and I got a little paranoid with data sharing so I uninstalled it. I'd be off pills soon. I'm wondering if there's an app I can track bodily changes alongside period as well.
    i’m using the free version of one called “life” (not sure what all the different ones are). i only continued with this one cuz it already has all my period history going back a while, but it’s probably not the best one out there and i’m open to others.

i’ve heard good things about one called Clue but haven’t looked into it yet tbh. i might do that.

Type
    xxxx
    uberEATS cos I used it for the first time the other day and got Ben & Jerry's cookie dough ice cream delivered to me for $7 and it made my week and I still think about it occasionally. Improved my life massively A+++ would use again.
    "I fucking hate the cold!" - Wim Hof

www.karililt.com
    instagram @karililt

Type
    xxxx
    so i've been using toggl since p_p mentioned it and it turns out that, time-wise, i work less than i think i do in a single day, but with everything added up for one project i work more than i think, overall. idk how the hell that makes any sense but that was unexpected and is making me think differently about my work habits and time management. it's helpful to see how often i take breaks and how broken up one task session is. seeing the time add up also has some positive psychological effect and makes working feel more tolerable, ugh. anyway, this is info i think i can use.

i've already recommended this to one person.

it's funny cuz i was planning to go to this time management workshop irl that's not an app (holy shit!) but i didn't go cuz it felt like a waste of time on the actual day.