Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nemi by Lise

Type
    INTP

Nemi by Lise

Nemi
    by Lise

You probably haven't heard of the character I'm about to introduce to you.

And what a pity that is. I mean, look at this chick:

I didn't know anything about Nemi either when I stumbled upon these stray drawings on a cover collection site, but once I did, I had to know more about this mysterious woman.

Nemi, who are you? And where have you been all my life?

Turns out, she's been in Norway.

Nemi is a 25-year-old outsider living in a messy apartment in Norway.

Nemi loves black clothes, heavy metal, and dragons.

She despises airhead blondes, popular music, and the concept of growing up.

Nemi's financial situation and employment history is as grim as her wardrobe.

Every time the strip checks in on her work hours, Nemi is either unemployed or about to be fired, but it's not undeserved.

In some cases, Nemi deliberately tries to get fired.

When Nemi has to talk to someone, it's usually to her friend Cyan, so named for the naturally blue color of her hair.

Nemi is a fierce lover of animals, so much so that she can't bring herself to squash a bug. She once tried to teach a laboratory rat how to wield a baseball bat.

She despises hunters, fur coats, and is one of those annoying people who try to make you feel guilty for eating a burger.

Nemi's contempt for human life, however, knows no boundaries.

Among Nemi's many lost jobs was one at the music store.

A customer came in asking for a musical recommendation for her daughter.

Nemi suggested Alice Cooper, but the customer was thinking more along the lines of Christina Aguilera.

Upon hearing those words, Nemi proceeded to pounce upon her and beat her senseless.

Even if Batman had enough time to prepare, he still couldn't defeat Nemi.

The strip was originally very dark (hence "The Black Page") and Nemi's sometimes frightening appearance and tastes in things have led some to call Nemi a "goth strip."

This is a label creator Lyse Myhre resents. Lyse sees Nemi as more of a creation for misfits and those who refuse to be defined by any particular category.
    Last edited by Sinny; 09-25-2017 at 04:20 AM.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INTP
    Nemi is a "tough girl" with an attitude, who is not afraid to speak her mind, and more often than not, in confrontational ways.

Blunt rejections of would-be one-night stands at the pub are not uncommon...

At the same time, she can be very sensitive: a devoted animal activist, she is against killing anything, including spiders, of which she is very fond.

Nemi has great difficulty keeping down a job due to her inability to sleep at a decent hour and wake up in the morning; her most steady form of employment is babysitting for her responsible and grown-up friends.

Not surprisingly, childlike Nemi gets along very well with children but her dark sense of humour and grim fairy tales often traumatize them.

Occasionally, she works in music stores at the counter but usually is fired pretty quickly after various altercations with customers over the corrupt morals of pop stars.
    In Nemi III it's revealed that Nemi grew up fairly poor and was bullied at school; this is where she gets most of her cynical and insecure traits from that would hinder her in adult life.
    Growing up poor also affected her ability to manage money as an adult, as she would rather spend her money than save it or pay her bills.

Nemi does not state a clear political preference, but is opposed to George W. Bush, Norwegian whale hunting and hunting in general, fur, and smoking restrictions, although depictions of her smoking have declined dramatically in recent years.

She likes to visit the pub, often with her friend Cyan, where she often gets drunk.
    Alcoholism is not a main theme of the comic, however, as a consequence Nemi has a lot of casual sex, and often wakes up beside complete strangers.

In spring 2011 she became enamoured with a beefcake boyfriend whom she converted to vegetarianism with a single look.

Her boyfriend, Grimm, is now a huge part of Nemi's life and the two are regularly featured together in the (UK) strip, sharing and discussing off-beat topics.

Nemi's room in the apartment is almost always a mess, and she has an uncontrollable passion for chocolate.

Nemi's heroes are Edgar Allan Poe, H. P. Lovecraft, André Bjerke, J. R. R. Tolkien, Alice Cooper, W.A.S.P., The Phantom Blot, Darth Vader and Batman. She also has a passion for dragons, and hates reality shows such as Big Brother, with the exception of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. She regards "modern art" as simply a manifestation of insecurity by would-be intellectuals, who secretly know they have nothing original to say .

Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

Type
    INTP
    The secret to a good thread is to pace yourself. Don't blast everything all at once. Start with a teaser, gauge interest, and then continue to feed the thread.

She's an awesome character, thanks for introducing me to her - looking forward to coming back to this thread to read through all of that.

Type
    INTP
    @Mxx

Type
    INTP

Type
    INTP
    Woot, woot, I'm liking one or a few a day to keep this thread going.

Type
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    I was just at the store, and I waltzed by the chocolates arrogantly thinking "I don't need you". And now here I am dying of chocolate cravings. I swear they are more intense than the ones I had for nicotine when I quit smoking.

Type
    INTP
    I am practically doing that to my coffee table right now.

Type
    INTP

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I think Nemi should consider having her thyroid checked as a precautionary measure.