Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We need more VR threads

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I watched Elton John in Youtube VR - I was really impressed:

I couldn't figure out how to switch between the videos horizontally though in the interface.

I also watched some movies in SBS (side by side) format in Skybox VR in a virtual cinema - the chairs around me looked photorealistic.

Type
    ISFP
    Skyrim in VR is absolutely awful. The controls are jerky as fuck and it's just set up so awkwardly. I regret this.

As another user mentioned the cord in the way just pisses ke off. On skyrim I lose my balance a lot too. To swim underwater you've got to crouch down a bit and that fuckin hurts my back. I dunno I'm just not a fan of skyrim on ve.

Beat sabers is cool though

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    BTW I started to get motion sickness when playing quite a bit of Doom VFR. Luckily I only paid A$25 (half price). Before that I had only gotten motion sickness with PS4 VR.

Quote Originally Posted by rokki balbotox View Post
    Skyrim in VR is absolutely awful. The controls are jerky as fuck and it's just set up so awkwardly. I regret this.

As another user mentioned the cord in the way just pisses ke off. On skyrim I lose my balance a lot too. To swim underwater you've got to crouch down a bit and that fuckin hurts my back. I dunno I'm just not a fan of skyrim on ve.

I set the controls so that swimming isn't like that. My VR is wireless now, so I don't have to fuck with that...that helps a lot. I'm so used to the controls now that I don't notice them anymore. I set myself so that I have to crouch to sneak, which adds a whole level of difficulty. Skyrim is now a thigh workout, lol.

I'm so in love with Beat Saber. I've gotten really good at it, which is funny because I went on this whole whiny frustrated spiel when I first started playing about how someone my age couldn't possibly move fast enough to play on expert. Now I play almost exclusively on expert plus level...which gets me into cardio and peak heart rate zones. I play about an hour or two a day. Been pretty good for me as a whole. I'm in the top 500 in the world some of the core game's songs now, to give you an idea of the level of my obsession, lol. I'm just waiting for them to make it an olympic sport.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Type
    eNTP
    Booted up Beat Saber after a long hiatus from using VR. Just didn't have the time and space set up for awhile, consequently, I missed the growth of the core Beat Saber game.

First, the shit I don't like: the DLC. I knew it was going to happen. It's an obvious thing to do, and it works well for other music games. I like the idea of knowing that level has been built by someone who understands how build a good level. I think that's worth something. But the pricing scheme is ridiculously uncompetitive with using mod managers and importing freeware versions of the same thing. Of course, if they killed that aspect, they'd kill the game just as losing Youtube streaming killed Audioshield. They'd have a chance if they sold the "collections" as collections for about the same value as an album--including OST files for loading on MP3 players and the like.

Yeah, I know, I'm one of three people who still has a dedicated music player--but the battery lasts longer and the audio quality is better than any phone, and it doesn't drain the battery on my phone at all. Nor does it dip into my unthrottled data allowance.

I'd probably pay ten bucks for 10-15 curated levels made by non-idiots, but I ain't paying two bucks for one, so I'll stick with crossing my fingers and getting my levels from random amateurs.

I'm digging the campaign mode though. Good warmup to getting back into the game, and I like the new objectives. Disappearing arrows are a great way to train yourself to keep your focus broad--and a perfect test of how well you're doing. It does make me wish the sight distance were about 10 feet further though.

My favorite new objective is tracking the distance your hands move. I thought I was doing great but that first challenge with Breezer showed I was being way more efficient in using just my wrists than I thought. Went all out on the second try and it was a much more intense and invigorating experience.

Brilliant game, and I can still see so much untapped potential.
    People think they understand their own mortality, even when that understanding has just changed.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INTJ
    The only VR I have is some rinky dink headset that holds your Galaxy phone up to your face. I think I enjoyed the google street view thing a bit. I would love to be able to zip around a town in hi res, preferably fly, like the flight sim that's built into Google Earth (Press Ctrl-Alt-A)

I might look into a newer one.

Quote Originally Posted by rokki balbotox View Post

I imagine people used to quest until they took a coffee table to the knee.
    Sabor original

just ordered my 2080ti
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    just ordered my 2080ti
    right on cue, one of my base stations crapped out.
    But given that I've used it almost daily for three years and it was a first consumer version of a thing, that's probably to be expected. My replacement will arrive the same day as my video card. Meanwhile if you switch to channel A, you can play with one base station, but you are limited to seated and forward facing games like elite dangerous and beat saber...so I'm not completely out of commission.

Type
    INtP
    There's apparently a Playstation VR. I know this because there was a free demo today at the mall. I thought of @Sistamatic and highly suggest she utilize a similar opportunity if one arise.

My son saw there were games and so I let him play some traditional playstation racing game. There were a couple of people doing Beat Saber in VR next to us. When my son was done, we left but he kept saying how he knew that game they were playing and that I should play. So I went back to the guy and asked if I could play the game "those other girls were playing." So he sets me up with the goggles and immediately loads up the tutorial, which I play. Then he tells me to pick a song, and I pick Rum n Bass. On expert mode. The volume is too loud but I hear him say....Expert?

Spoiler: his reaction

I did pretty dang good, but not up to my usual performance since they had set it up to be sitting (wtf? probably to not have to calibrate it to different heights all the time). When I took the headset off there were a couple people who must have started watching me who wanted to try the game. The guy just looks at me with a smirk and says that I'm pretty good for someone playing for the "first time" before.

The left saber also cut out and had some lagging/displacement issues so not super stoked with the Playstation VR experience.

Quote Originally Posted by oxyjen View Post
    There's apparently a Playstation VR. I know this because there was a free demo today at the mall. I thought of @Sistamatic and highly suggest she utilize a similar opportunity if one arise.

My son saw there were games and so I let him play some traditional playstation racing game. There were a couple of people doing Beat Saber in VR next to us. When my son was done, we left but he kept saying how he knew that game they were playing and that I should play. So I went back to the guy and asked if I could play the game "those other girls were playing." So he sets me up with the goggles and immediately loads up the tutorial, which I play. Then he tells me to pick a song, and I pick Rum n Bass. On expert mode. The volume is too loud but I hear him say....Expert?

Spoiler: his reaction

I did pretty dang good, but not up to my usual performance since they had set it up to be sitting (wtf? probably to not have to calibrate it to different heights all the time). When I took the headset off there were a couple people who must have started watching me who wanted to try the game. The guy just looks at me with a smirk and says that I'm pretty good for someone playing for the "first time" before.

The left saber also cut out and had some lagging/displacement issues so not super stoked with the Playstation VR experience.
    Yes! I want to do ballearic pumping on expert plus at some vive demo, but I've yet to run across one. The plan is to put on the full old lady act as I get myself into the headset then "accidentally" put it on expert plus.

PS: just installed my 2080ti this morning.