Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Office Perks, Bennies & Letdowns

Type
    INTP
    Geeze, no free food? Stocked kitchens? No company happy hours? No video games or onsite gyms?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan26 View Post
    Geeze, no free food? Stocked kitchens? No company happy hours? No video games or onsite gyms?
    If there is a Bethesda developer in the house, I'm sure they would identify with this just fine.. especially the video games part.

Type
    INTP
    I don't think my office has any perks. I do work and they pay me. And they pay for half of my health insurance. That's about it.

And I guess sometimes the boss brings in food and we have a holiday luncheon every year.

Type
    INTP
    These are not the norm for most people.
    For some, "how", not "why", is the fundamental unit of measure for curiosity. This divergence is neither parallel, nor straight. Where one might have a "why?-5" problem, it might only be a "how?-2" question. But then, there are also many things where the "why?" is immediately obvious but the "how?" is best measured in centuries of perpetual wonder. Both approaches have their drawbacks.

If one is superior, the other is unaware of it.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INXj
    This question should be directed at millennials haha.

Anyways, I just recently flipped our basement into a SOHO and started my own digital agency...with little success unfortunately. So I don't think that counts. In my previous job, however, I worked there almost six years. Three years of which I was in the office. Perks include flexible time, work from home option, birthday holiday, free coffee, free food, free printing (lol) and twice a year company retreats. When I moved to the US, I can work remotely 95% of the year, company-paid laptop and software, and that's it. Damn, I shouldn't have...
    Siriusly Black.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I like that I'm generally on expenses every time I travel from home. Generally this is something like $15 breakfast, $20 lunch, $50 dinner. Which is great, but I tend to just hit the supermarket and buy all the creature comforts, try new things etc.

I like all of the paid travel. Working in the same office/cube every day drives me nuts, so I'm still grateful for trips to places that people go on vacation to. e.g. next is LA and the week after in Livermore.
    We live here now.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by KOI View Post
    These are not the norm for most people.
    I was basically asking one or another or spur answers, (cuz sometimes you kinda forget), I hope it didn't come across like asking if people were getting all of the above. Although I've known those places.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
    This question should be directed at millennials haha.
    A couple of startups I've worked for and online branch of a studio had games and couches and stocked kitchen and occasional company outing. But no pension and minimal 401(k) for the startups that was only available to a select few. I didn't know if this was more of the wave of the future. We'll go to laser tag and 6 Flags but don't expect to cash out from here 30 years from now.

Type
    INTP
    The hedge fund I worked at had free food and free health insurance for us and our families. Every now and then brokers would come and take us out for a fancy dinner. One time they took us to a spa and we all got massages.

The place in NC had a PT that would come and give massages but nobody ever had time to go.

Type
    INTP
    I was basically asking one or another or spur answers, (cuz sometimes you kinda forget), I hope it didn't come across like asking if people were getting all of the above. Although I've known those places.
    I've worked places where getting paid on time was a perk. I learned to remind them payroll was coming.
    For some, "how", not "why", is the fundamental unit of measure for curiosity. This divergence is neither parallel, nor straight. Where one might have a "why?-5" problem, it might only be a "how?-2" question. But then, there are also many things where the "why?" is immediately obvious but the "how?" is best measured in centuries of perpetual wonder. Both approaches have their drawbacks.

If one is superior, the other is unaware of it.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    INXj
    A couple of startups I've worked for and online branch of a studio had games and couches and stocked kitchen and occasional company outing. But no pension and minimal 401(k) for the startups that was only available to a select few. I didn't know if this was more of the wave of the future. We'll go to laser tag and 6 Flags but don't expect to cash out from here 30 years from now.
    This is true. The perks are cool and fun until you start thinking about family and stability. Priorities change as we grow older, meanwhile businesses still exist for profits. Only well-funded startups can afford 401k and health insurance sadly.
    Siriusly Black.