Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Office Perks, Bennies & Letdowns

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan26 View Post
    I've been noticing this more. A couple of years ago I worked at a start up and you could bring your dog in. it was a couple of blocks from the ocean so people would walk them on a path by the beach at lunch. Working in music now and people can bring their dogs. Some do once, maybe twice a week. A few bring theirs in everyday. It's not that I mind terribly when I have to step over one but what happens when we get tangled up? What is that person going to say when I do a header into a counter or on the concrete floor? I know I'll be more pissed at the owner than the dog. It's not even every dog or owner but there's like two people who seem to think I'm working in their home livingroom, not that we're in an office and that they've gotten too lax on where their pets can lay and who's to be inconvenienced.
    Yeah, some people are just inconsiderate. I have my own office and I have a baby gate at the doorway, so I don't really think it's a problem. Most people in the office seem to like having him here and stop by to pet him and talk to him when I bring him. I bring him to meetings sometimes, but make him lay in the corner so he won't bother anyone.

Type
    INTP
    I have an old fashioned pension, decent medical, set my own priorities, go home for lunch, good pay for the area, have been here long enough to accrue vacation at a reasonable rate. Almost everyone is intelligent and nice.

Cons: Parking is kind of lousy and I've been doing the same thing too long. The latter isn't the fault of 'the office' of course, I tend to keep doing what I'm doing when it comes to work. I'd say 2/3 of the people I became friends with have retired.

Type
    INTP
    Everybody leaves me alone. I don't think I've said more than a couple words to my coworkers in at least a month. I've never had a job with health insurance or paid time off, but given the choice between those and having everybody leave me alone, I think I'd still choose the latter.

Type
    INTP
    My last job gave us:
    - Free coffee, tea, espresso, soft drinks, vitamin water, etc.
    - Fresh fruit every Thursday morning
    - Fairly regular lunch meetings, sometimes with pretty good food
    - Reimbursement for gym membership up to $400 / year
    - A budget for a professional workshop / conference once per year
    - A ping pong table, a foosball table

They were also pretty lenient on what hours you worked as long as the work gets done. One of my coworkers liked to roll in at about 10:30 am.

Out of all of these, I really appreciated the fruit. The conferences were also a fantastic benefit but I thought it was a bit extravagant for the size and value of the company, compared to the return they would see from it.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Architect View Post
    This is a problem? Take note of the fact that your HSA is the only money you'll both earn and spend tax free, in your lifetime. And you keep it when you leave your job, and your plan probably lets you invest as you choose. You pay out of pocket because you haven't hit your deductible yet, that's the way it works. It encourages you to optimize your health care (incentivizes taking care of yourself) and you have the post deductible if something big happens. This is the best system I've ever seen, I max my contribution out.
    It's ok I guess. Except my medical expenses yearly are nearly that maximum contribution. What if I have a kid? I won't have any savings and the out of pocket would be very high (actually more than what you could contribute in a given year. The max limit tax free is BS. If I'm having a child or anticipate more expenses in the near future I should not be hamstrung by a 3350 limit or whatever it is. But generally, yes it's a good thing. I suppose I blame the government for setting limits. I'd rather put more in their in case of emergency than let the bastards tax it.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBibbit View Post
    It's ok I guess. Except my medical expenses yearly are nearly that maximum contribution. What if I have a kid? I won't have any savings and the out of pocket would be very high (actually more than what you could contribute in a given year. The max limit tax free is BS. If I'm having a child or anticipate more expenses in the near future I should not be hamstrung by a 3350 limit or whatever it is. But generally, yes it's a good thing. I suppose I blame the government for setting limits. I'd rather put more in their in case of emergency than let the bastards tax it.
    I have four choices, two HSA/HDHP, one with a lower deductible but higher monthly premiums, and another with a higher deductible and lower monthly premiums. With both of these I can choose any service or care provider I wish; with the deductible comes more freedom which we use. One of the other plans is with a major single provider (its full service with physicians, hospitals, etc). I have less choice here, I have to go to the single provider for all care, and take with they give me.

Here's the trick, I'm paying approximately the same in any of the cases. Something like $600/mo into the HSA/HDSP (a sub $100 premium with the rest going into the HSA, e.g. my money), but it would cost around the same for the full care provider, except in that case the money disappears. So the point is it's a trade off between flexibility, choice, control and ownership of the money, versus one stop shopping, low deductible and no control over the premiums. Depending on your situation one may be better than the other, but AFAIK they're approximately equivalent cost wise. (I didn't mention the fourth option, it's something else, I'm not very aware of).

Type
    INFP
    The person who approves the office supply budget believes we should have the nicest stuff because we are "professionals." All the office supply, paper, pens, calculators, etc are of high quality and a sensory pleasing experience to use.
    Oh fuck it, Its the 90's.

Type
    INTP
    Yesterday was "community day" at work, so instead of going into the office, everybody went out to different "volunteer" projects. I went to canyon lake and picked trash out of the water from a kayak for two hours. Then I fucked off for the rest of the day. I didn't realize the point of community day was just an excuse for every one to fuck off. I came prepared for a whole day of picking trash out of the lake, packed a lunch and everything. But when I went back to the put-in to drop my first bag at 9:15 everyone else was already gone.

The CEO of a rehab facility where I used to work would have fancy meals catered to us for the holidays on every shift

Type
    Intp
    All the pens at work are Pilot G-2s. My favorite pens.