Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to do stuff.

Type
    INTP

How to do stuff.

I find myself one of the least motivated people I know. I just don't care for doing productive things because I suck at being diligent and have disgustingly low conscientiousness.

My question is a practical one: how to do stuff, how to motivate myself to do things that are better for me down the road.

Yesterday I was thinking to myself that I am a complete and utter failure.. I have no degree, no job, no skills, not very resourceful, and not confident enough in my abilities to get a job that requires creativity.

What the fuck do I do?
    But your individuality and your present need will be swept away by change,
    and what you now ardently desire will one day become the object of abhorrence.
    ~ Schiller - 'Psychological Types'

Jazz peenist Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    XNTX
    I don't know.

How do I make a crackhead stop smoking crack? You can't

Only you can figure it out, and find the willpower

You have to be the decider, the man responsible

It's up to you to know what you want

If you got lost in the fucking woods, are you gonna just wait there for help? or are you gonna use your compass and follow the stars and use logic?

Fountainhead. You need to read it, or youtube it. Like investing millions of dollars into your mind
    Last edited by Grape Jelly; 08-27-2017 at 09:24 PM.
    Sound fury

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Grape Jelly View Post
    I don't know.

How do I make a crackhead stop smoking crack? You can't

Only you can figure it out, and find the willpower

You have to be the decider, the man responsible

It's up to you to know what you want

If you got lost in the fucking woods, are you gonna just wait there for help? or are you gonna use your compass and follow the stars and use logic?

Fountainhead. You need to read it, or youtube it. Like investing millions of dollars into your mind
    Ah, Ayn Rand. Looking up the audiobook on youtube now.

Jazz peenist Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    XNTX
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickTwist View Post
    Ah, Ayn Rand. Looking up the audiobook on youtube now.
    Fuck yeah. and her On Philosophy makes a good supplementary accompaniment. There are also tons of general vids I like. I'm kuku for Ayn Rand.

Chyeah though. I mean, psh.. and I was like Psh. You know?
    Sound fury

Type
    INTP
    Set yourself a small goal, and will yourself to do it.

Spin a bottle and head in a direction if you can't pick one.

I suck at making life decisions, and I'm mostly a failure too.

But in order to not feel like a complete failure, I always make sure I'm doing something, no matter how crappy.
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    if you don't "do anything" you probably have a lot of time for doing what you want to do... so figure out what those things are and do them. bam, "doing something."

maybe focus on long-term goals rather than instant gratification & have that be the priority when you decide what you wanna do. is there a skill you want to learn or a project you've always wanted to do but keep putting off?

if the problem is willpower, you already know you're procrastinating and there's no magic button, you just gotta do it and try to form good habits.

+ stop telling yourself you're "this type" of person who doesn't do X. all it takes is decision and action, repeat. easier said than done but not a complicated formula.
    Last edited by jigglypuff; 08-28-2017 at 01:11 AM.
    the clouds in the sky caress my mind so tenderly

Type
    XXXX
    Stop jacking off, drinking, and surfing the internet...you will do stuff.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Makers!* View Post
    Stop jacking off, drinking, and surfing the internet...you will do stuff.
    I only jack off about once a week. I drink way less than that. The internet is my addiction of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by jigglypuff View Post
    if you don't "do anything" you probably have a lot of time for doing what you want to do... so figure out what those things are and do them. bam, "doing something."

maybe focus on long-term goals rather than instant gratification & have that be the priority when you decide what you wanna do. is there a skill you want to learn or a project you've always wanted to do but keep putting off?

if the problem is willpower, you already know you're procrastinating and there's no magic button, you just gotta do it and try to form good habits.

+ stop telling yourself you're "this type" of person who doesn't do X. all it takes is decision and action, repeat. easier said than done but not a complicated formula.
    Damn. When did this wisdom get slapped on you jiggly? So true. Hard, but true.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

Type
    intp
    I seem to reinvent gimmick-like things that help me get past procrastination and to be productive. At the moment, being really specific about what I want to be doing, creating some short-term weekly goals, helps me get around the procrastination-fuel of 'what should I do though?' and just get into it. These sort of gimmicks seem to work for a little while, and then not work so well. So I've got to be regularly evaluating how well things are going and then try to come up with some new scheme. These are fairly trivial and not really revolutionary in any way, but just seem to work.

How to get motivation: I know that once I start doing something I have fun. I'm demotivated if I don't really know how to get started. E.g. if the thing I want to get into seems way too huge, overwhelming, and/or really unclear and messy. For example, I find some programming stuff is like that. Sometimes hard to know where to begin when you're just starting. Sometimes I might just spend time reading generally about some concept to try to get an idea of the overall picture of it, maybe not worrying too much about whether I understand everything or not (it's inevitable to sometimes read articles that are above your current level). And then start to slowly unravel the different components that make up the whole thing. Start working on a smaller section of it. Gradually the understanding of the whole thing can start to be developed.

I used to sometimes struggle with an idea that when I learn something, I should make sure I do it in the best way. E.g. with programming, use all the most professional workflows, etc. But I think this is really impossible when you're just learning the thing. You've got to allow yourself to possibly do things in a stupid way, while you're exploring the thing and figuring out how it works. So I try to let myself just explore new concepts without worrying too much. This also helps avoid procrastination.