Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to do stuff.

Type
    Intp
    #FirstWorldProblems

Well, you need to realize that ultimately its all up to you. The world owes you nothing.

You are the captain of your ship. If you don't take charge then you will go where the current takes you. You need to assess your current situation and then assess your potential (your best life) and then chart how you will get from here to there. Then take charge and steer that ship in that direction.

Curious Conlanger epistemophiliac's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Maybe try finding something novel and exciting and force yourself to do it? Once you force yourself the first time, the next times will be easier. And I also find doing something novel or something that you don't often do can often make you more motivated for doing things and getting stuff done. For example, when I've gotten bored/unmotivated in the past I would go play pranks on friends, or maybe try to have a water balloon fight or a snowball fight if it's snowed, maybe build a snowman, or possibly make vinegar-and-baking-soda bombs with water bottles (harmless but loud and gets your heart racing) (acting like a child can be very 'remotivating' lol), or maybe try to cook something I've never cooked before or make a really nice meal for myself. Once I do that, I feel better or 'released' or even a tiny bit accomplished which further ignites a spark and brings back my motivation for things.

Otherwise, whenever I have some sort of obligation like an essay or studying for an exam or doing a job of any kind, it often takes my mind off of things. I forget about being unmotivated and I just start working to get done what needs to be done, and then once it's done you feel accomplished and even slightly motivated 'cause you did something. So maybe find yourself an obligation, something that you MUST get done?

If your interested in finding a long-term goal, maybe try learning a language? You could do like 30-min of Duolingo a day or use any one of the thousands of other resources on the internet. And learning a language can open so many doors for your career, your social life, and simply seeing the world from a new perspective. You could find a language you're interested in or that is spoken somewhere where you'd like to visit or live one day. And one of the best parts about language learning is you can feel productive while watching movies/shows in the language your learning!
    Pedin i phith in aníron, a nin ú-cheniog.
    Kup tar-tor n'zhitlar ik istau - eh ri ken-tor du nash-veh.
    Sa's drisa tonabhiala tomuñ s'eph de'imal'il, sa se lodhe togal'n.
    B'lir inus vorbilim bi mek inus, hiam gi b'ek ilimlimr.

Type
    INXP
    So I have kinda figured something out..

Its about WHAT I do most of all, that has the most influence on my productivity, similar to a domino effect.

I have found I need to do things I enjoy and make a goal out of doing those things. I find doing what I enjoy in a way gives me permission to do the things I feel I don't want to do, but will do because they are important. Don't know if that makes sense to anyone else, but it seems to be the case for me. It seems giving myself some things I want to do leads to being more productive overall. I just have to seek out doing things that I enjoy that are not sitting in front of the computer.
    But your individuality and your present need will be swept away by change,
    and what you now ardently desire will one day become the object of abhorrence.
    ~ Schiller - 'Psychological Types'

Type
    Intp
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickTwist View Post

Its about WHAT I do most of all, that has the most influence on my productivity, similar to a domino effect.

I have found I need to do things I enjoy and make a goal out of doing those things. I find doing what I enjoy in a way gives me permission to do the things I feel I don't want to do, but will do because they are important. Don't know if that makes sense to anyone else, but it seems to be the case for me. It seems giving myself some things I want to do leads to being more productive overall. I just have to seek out doing things that I enjoy that are not sitting in front of the computer.
    I came to a similar conclusion. Its about having fun and enjoying yourself, you will be most productive at something if you enjoy doing it.

Type
    INXj

Perhaps it's a P thing. I usually do things I don't like doing first, then treat myself with doing things I love doing after. I start with making my bed before I start my day. I don't like doing it, but it somehow gives me a sense of accomplishment. A sense of direction that because I did something I don't like doing, I can do most of the things I need to do for the day. Also it's a guarantee that before going to sleep, I accomplished at least one thing.

I'm not certain if that's helpful but I'd like to throw in a different perspective you might want to consider trying.
    We cling to our past as if they define us. What we do defines us.

chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by epistemophiliac View Post
    Maybe try finding something novel and exciting and force yourself to do it? Once you force yourself the first time, the next times will be easier. And I also find doing something novel or something that you don't often do can often make you more motivated for doing things and getting stuff done. For example, when I've gotten bored/unmotivated in the past I would go play pranks on friends, or maybe try to have a water balloon fight or a snowball fight if it's snowed, maybe build a snowman, or possibly make vinegar-and-baking-soda bombs with water bottles (harmless but loud and gets your heart racing) (acting like a child can be very 'remotivating' lol), or maybe try to cook something I've never cooked before or make a really nice meal for myself. Once I do that, I feel better or 'released' or even a tiny bit accomplished which further ignites a spark and brings back my motivation for things.

Otherwise, whenever I have some sort of obligation like an essay or studying for an exam or doing a job of any kind, it often takes my mind off of things. I forget about being unmotivated and I just start working to get done what needs to be done, and then once it's done you feel accomplished and even slightly motivated 'cause you did something. So maybe find yourself an obligation, something that you MUST get done?

If your interested in finding a long-term goal, maybe try learning a language? You could do like 30-min of Duolingo a day or use any one of the thousands of other resources on the internet. And learning a language can open so many doors for your career, your social life, and simply seeing the world from a new perspective. You could find a language you're interested in or that is spoken somewhere where you'd like to visit or live one day. And one of the best parts about language learning is you can feel productive while watching movies/shows in the language your learning!
    i second pretty much all of this. typically i have a lot of interests and experience sparks of motivation/inspiration regularly, and it's really important to me to actively pursue those interests. when i don't find anything interesting and novel anymore, i know i'm depressed or overwhelmed and basically something's off. it also feels good getting stuff done off a to-do list, but that was really difficult for me to learn tbh. if it's school for example, motivation can be extremely difficult, and you have to find a way to make your work part of your lifestyle and not something to avoid.

i use an app to keep to-do lists and often "procrastinate" by getting other things from the list done. truthfully there's a lot of fun & relaxing things built into my lists, like gardening and swimming, but those things come with concrete benefits that make life better, make you stronger and keep seeing things in a new way. duolingo is also my fav procrastination activity right now.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

Type
    IXTP
    What the fuck do I do?

Do the opposite of what this video says.

Also, No offense Grape Jelly, but Ayn Rand is probably some of the worst toxic philosophy you could read.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Consider developing a healthy sense of pride and then do it for the glory. For the fucking GLORY!
    Be a hero.
    huzzah!

Type
    INXP
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkovChain View Post

Do the opposite of what this video says.

Also, No offense Grape Jelly, but Ayn Rand is probably some of the worst toxic philosophy you could read.
    LOL. I identify with way too many of those.

Luckily, I started making a schedule, breaking down my goals into small parts.
    But your individuality and your present need will be swept away by change,
    and what you now ardently desire will one day become the object of abhorrence.
    ~ Schiller - 'Psychological Types'

facta non verba interprétation erronée's Avatar
    Type
    INxx
    i tried homelessness once. when that didn't workout i joined a band of magazine salespeople/schemers. had sex with the group whore while she had a tampon inserted. no i'm not small *makes v shape with hands*. long story short, i got out and did something. epistemo... is right.

get out and live. ever smoked salvia divanorum? smoke some during a full moon bro. just look up and blow out the smoke then howl liccan style. salvia divanorum is crack with training wheels.

thank me later

[edit]

sorry i misread things. can't help you there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    Jan Bonclay
    “If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.” ― Malcolm X