Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Basic Income

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by ObtainGnosis View Post
    I just want free education.
    I won't accept any economic plan that doesn't address the public education and student debt crisis. My school is a flagship research university and the administration is pressured by the state government to run it "like a business" (e.g. bachelor degree mills with precise 4 year turn-around). This is how governors who can't remember three points of their platform are elected. multiple times.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyrus View Post
    No, America's biggest economic problem is rent-seeking. The top 1/10 % purchase market privileges from politicians so they don't have to worry about competition, thus causing income inequality and slow economic growth.
    Maybe that's part of the problem but this is a world-wide phenomenon.

But the trend among wealthy countries, even many in Europe is toward greater income inequality.

http://inequalitywatch.eu/spip.php?article58

Even if you get rid of excessive political influence/decreased competition and economic growth goes up as a result I don't see how it follows that this will translate into large scale improvement for everyone.

Income growth became decoupled from productivity increases around 1980 (I posted this graph already). And there has been plenty of economic growth since 1980, just not as much as in the past. Considering the larger forces in play after WWII (long period of unmet demand during depression/war, only intact major economy, super cheap abundant domestic energy supply, technology boom after war, rapid population growth/baby boom, functioning government) is it a big surprise we grew more rapidly post WWII than since 1980?

Consider the recovery since 2008, who has benefitted most? Those with capital. The balance between capital and labor has shifted dramatically because capital buys technology and technology deprecates labor. Our social structure and mythology do little to address this reality tell us to work hard and suck it up instead of examine obvious structural issues.

I'm reminded of the Japanese WTF thread, we poke fun at them for their traditional culture colliding with crazy work ethics and so forth, yet our response to changing reality is pretty dysfunctional as well. It's not just government's fault or evil rich people, though I like to flog rich people for being selfish.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwitch View Post
    I won't accept any economic plan that doesn't address the public education and student debt crisis. My school is a flagship research university and the administration is pressured by the state government to run it "like a business" (e.g. bachelor degree mills with precise 4 year turn-around). This is how governors who can't remember three points of their platform are elected. multiple times.
    Couldn't agree more. If education beyond the community college level was even slightly affordable, I wouldn't be stuck right now. On top of that, my parents paid ridiculous money for a BA that got me nowhere.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyrus View Post
    No, America's biggest economic problem is rent-seeking. The top 1/10 % purchase market privileges from politicians so they don't have to worry about competition, thus causing income inequality and slow economic growth.
    I agree with this too. A person should be able to get a 1 bedroom apartment for less than $600/month. Doesn't make any goddamn sense. I've had to live in such shitty conditions just to get by.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by giegs View Post
    Hmn, never heard that particular term before.

Added Later:

...But that's absolutely the root problem of why no other problem can be solved in the US.

And no one has a real answer as to how to change it. We only have theoretical answers, no real solutions. I try to live my life in a way that is meaningful completely outside of social or political problems while still paying attention to what's going on and keeping a healthy perspective. But it really does bum me out something fierce to be a young man in the contemporary United States. Certainly it's a lot of first world complaints, but it still feels like things are never going to get better in my lifetime. I think we're going to end up either ruining the planet or teetering off into the second world. Granted, I haven't travelled much, so take it with a grain of salt.
    Last edited by ObtainGnosis; 01-30-2014 at 02:14 AM.

Type
    xNxx
    Finally found an idea I like better than basic income: https://www.peoplespolicyproject.org...l-wealth-fund/

The problem with basic income is that it becomes a subsidy to landlords.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    Finally found an idea I like better than basic income: https://www.peoplespolicyproject.org...l-wealth-fund/

We've got one of those. We had one that started in 1974 but it was stopped after 37 weeks by a new conservative government. Apparently conservative governments don't like them as they put the re-established one on a contribution holiday after the 2009 financial crisis (which cost the fund billions in lost profits).

One of our financial commentators wrote a scathing review about the decision to scrap it. https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=10465138

Perhaps conservative governments are keen on foreigners owning a countries assets...

Type
    INTP

I think there should be rent caps, say 20-30% max profit on their mortgage payments. I think people should be discouraged from having multiple properties, especially during a housing crisis.

Maybe even stricter intervention. After all, tenants are paying for the mortgage that is constantly increasing in worth as an asset.

I might go as far to say no profit at all.
    The asset that paid for itself is the profit.
    All truth passes through three stages:

First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

Type
    INTP

I'm reminded that the sovereign wealth fund has done well for Norway.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"