Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here's why today's headlines piss me off

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Here's why today's headlines piss me off

What study found that putting phrases like "here's why" in headlines is a good idea? Reuters, the Washington Post, and others do it. Usually, an article with a headline that just states an event will touch on the why. The "here's why" stands out as new and overly wordy and kills the flow of the headline.

Maybe they figured out that longer headlines are like more large text ad space on sites like Google News but I wonder if this started at a particular time for a common reason.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    INTP
    Pretty sure they all do A/B testing to determine which headlines get the most clicks. Whatever works the most becomes the norm, until something else replaces the overused bait.

I was thinking today as I stood in line to buy my daily chocolate how unrealiable headline news has become. All the papers were screaming nuclear war threats, and it was all I could do to stiffle a yawn. There used to be a time when a headline like that would send terror down my spine.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Even with An 11-year-old boy fell into an Italian volcanic crater. His parents also died trying to save him. I'd expect something like "Eleven year old and parents die in crater" or "Parents/son perish in failed crater rescue." I think printed papers would still word it concisely but I'll have to check newsstands. The long form looks amateurish.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    XXXX
    Any time I see a headline that ends in a question mark, I say "go fuck yourself" and click something else.

Type
    INTx
    "Berkeley braces for right wing talk show host Ben Shapiro visit"

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    "Berkeley braces for right wing talk show host Ben Shapiro visit"
    I heard on his podcast the other day that the university was offering counseling for those affected by true anti-fascism and free speech.
    Pussies.
    I do enjoy the speed of his speech, quickness of his thought and of course the rational content, but his voice can get grating after an hour or so.

heh, listening now and he's talking about Apollonian ego and the id for rationality (Sept 11 podcast)
    In my mind's eye, one little boy, one little man, funny how time flies.

Type
    intp
    "When they use the term right wing it's to paint the person as either scary, evil or as a racist"

Well duh.

Type
    xxxx
    Top 10 Reasons Why BarIII is Pissed Off (#3 Will Surprise You)
    "I fucking hate the cold!" - Wim Hof

www.karililt.com
    instagram @karililt

Type
    INTx
    Quote Originally Posted by Limey View Post
    I do enjoy the speed of his speech, quickness of his thought and of course the rational content
    That makes him dangerous to those who fear he's persuasive to people who hear him. Pretty Orwellian.

Sproul Plaza is where students, faculty, and all concerned people should be on September 14 when Ben Shapiro speaks at 7pm on so-called “Campus Thuggery.” Shapiro is coming to campus to spread ugly fascist views dressed up in slick-talking “intellectual” garb. Beneath his “reasonable” tone lies Shapiro’s real thuggery

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    That makes him dangerous to those who fear he's persuasive to people who hear him. Pretty Orwellian.
    gah!
    I'm driving near there shortly too.
    I'd like to see their funding withdrawn. "shut it down" indeed.
    In my mind's eye, one little boy, one little man, funny how time flies.