Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Old Age Morbidity Action Plan

Type
    INTP
    I agree, this is something I should figure out sooner rather than later. Unless my luck changes, I don't see myself being able to afford a good assisted living facility. So... currently I live in the downtown area of a city with the best hospital in the state. And I own a condo in the downtown area. So maybe I keep it, and install one of those stairway....I don't know what they are called. But they are kind of like the bunny hill ropes that pull you up the hill, except they have little chairs that pull you up the stairs. There is a volunteer group that sends people out to help with chores and errands for elderly people that still live in their own homes. And there's meals on wheels. And there are several grocery stores that deliver. I don't want to go to a small town. Even 40 minutes outside the city the quality of care decreases dramatically.

There's a book which I haven't read in probably 15 years, but it is about a woman who runs across an elderly neighbor or something and reluctantly starts helping her out. And it really drove home how the most ordinary tasks, like bathing yourself or going to the store, can become practically impossible to do without help. I think it's incredibly important to take good care of yourself when you are young- eat well, get exercise, don't be obese, smoke, or drink too much etc. Not that that's any guarantee that it won't all go to shit. I think the book was written by Doris Lessing under a pseudonym, but I don't remember the pseudonym or the name of the book.

I would have never thought of getting in touch of the chaplain of the hospital, because I'm agnostic. Thank you for that tip.

Type
    XXXX
    I capitulated. If I don't off myself deep in the mountains somewhere, I found where I'd like to be buried.

The dupuyer cemetary
    "Long live the weeds and the wilderness!"

Type
    INTP
    ^That looks gorgeous.

Speaking of old age...

I actually really love demented old people. Sometimes they can be super fun.

Like this patient I had today. She spent most of her time moaning to herself and singing gospel songs for Jesus to take her away. If I went in to her room to talk to her or hold her hand or help her eat or drink she'd be all "Hello! How are you doing?" and smile and me. But any time I tried to persuade her against pulling on her heart monitor, or if I had to do any kind of procedure or (God forbid) turn her to help prevent pressure sores, she would start shouting, "Oh no you don't! HELL no! You get the fuck away from me!!!" then once I was done and came back in the room a little bit later, she'd be all "Hello, darling!"

She was a trip. For being a bed-bound, demented old lady, she had a lot of personality.

The sad thing is that she's full code, so if she does go south, they'll have to do whatever they can to bring her back and keep her alive, so her quality of life will decline and decline and decline. Instead of being allowed to go out gracefully (zestfully!) when the time comes.

Advanced directives. I'd say when you get to age... 70 or so. When you still have your faculties. Go ahead and get your papers in order.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    ^That looks gorgeous.

Speaking of old age...

I actually really love demented old people. Sometimes they can be super fun.

Like this patient I had today. She spent most of her time moaning to herself and singing gospel songs for Jesus to take her away. If I went in to her room to talk to her or hold her hand or help her eat or drink she'd be all "Hello! How are you doing?" and smile and me. But any time I tried to persuade her against pulling on her heart monitor, or if I had to do any kind of procedure or (God forbid) turn her to help prevent pressure sores, she would start shouting, "Oh no you don't! HELL no! You get the fuck away from me!!!" then once I was done and came back in the room a little bit later, she'd be all "Hello, darling!"

She was a trip. For being a bed-bound, demented old lady, she had a lot of personality.

The sad thing is that she's full code, so if she does go south, they'll have to do whatever they can to bring her back and keep her alive, so her quality of life will decline and decline and decline. Instead of being allowed to go out gracefully (zestfully!) when the time comes.

Advanced directives. I'd say when you get to age... 70 or so. When you still have your faculties. Go ahead and get your papers in order.
    You can have that experience because you don't remember her before.
    You winsome, you loathsome.
    --Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by KOI View Post
    seriously. most wtf post of 2017. I'm glad my grandma's melting brain potentially gave some nurse her jollies.
    Last edited by Fitz; 10-01-2017 at 06:44 AM.

Type
    INTP
    It's completely unreasonable to expect a nurse to become emotionally invested in their patients' lives and history. The best you can hope for is someone who is competent and can find a touch of humanity to treat patients with dignity, both of which TeresaJ exhibits.
    Last edited by Mxx; 10-01-2017 at 10:38 AM.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by KOI View Post
    Who would you rather have taking care of her? Someone who can meet her where she's at and enjoy who she is at this moment, or someone who can barely stand to look at her because of their own loss?
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    Who would you rather have taking care of her? Someone who can meet her where she's at and enjoy who she is at this moment, or someone who can barely stand to look at her because of their own loss?
    If not for the potential for abuse, I'd rather go with euthanasia.
    You winsome, you loathsome.
    --Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Colymbosathon ecplecticos BarIII's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I want to take a genetic test to get an idea of the most likely things to get me and move where there's a good hospital for that and maybe where euthanasia is legal. I also want one of those "I've fallen and I can't get up" buttons. If they were free I'd seriously consider getting one now and I'm in good shape and not elderly.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

"You look late twenties" - LordLatch