Thread: 3D Animation using Blender

Rocket Scientist Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    XNTj

3D Animation using Blender

Stumbled upon a beginners guide to 3D animation using Blender, an open source software you could download from blender.org, and apparently according to the video is as good as Pixars proprietary software. There's a ton of free tutorials on the website too, so I'm gonna check all those out. There are a ton of applications, making a 3d movie, game, show, commercial, tv, so I finally convinced myself it to be a relevant skill. So if you were ever interested, but not sure about where to start, I'd recommend checking out blender.org. or the Blender Guru youtube channel. I guess the skills you learn from open source could easily be transposed to Maya, so it's good to learn the basics for free, rather than waste money going to Full Sail or some bullshit.

Memelogical qoutient

Type
    INXX
    I like Blender
    Stand clear of the closing doors, please.

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Here is a music video I made in Blender about 10 years ago:

Type
    intp
    This popped into my "feed" just then. I think it's a pretty amazing example of 3d... stuff. More the integration of a few different things:

link with video

Like all apps built with ARKit, Lieberman’s uses SLAM—simultaneous localization and mapping—which leverages the phone’s sensors and camera to build a low-resolution map of a room’s boundaries and contours.

With this environmental information in hand, Lieberman can capture sound through the phone’s mic, process and visualize it with the app he built, and then map the illustrations to an exact location in the room. You can leave a snap in one corner, a word in another, and watch a trail of sound waves appear exactly where the phone first captured them. Move the phone along the 3-D path and it’ll work like a scrubber, replaying the audio forward and backward in real time. “It plays that chunk of audio that’s closest to where the devices is,” Lieberman says.
    I'd like to learn how to do things with Blender. But... I'm probably lacking time. Too many things to do.

Type
    INTP
    JohnClay, did you build the city environment? Any idea how long the video took you to make?

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by 2hype View Post
    JohnClay, did you build the city environment? Any idea how long the video took you to make?
    I used free models and applied the textures myself. I think it took a couple weeks I'm not sure. It took many hours to render because I often used motion blur and interlacing (50 fps for PAL)
    For the terrain I used Bryce and 3ds max.