Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are school shootings becoming more commonplace?

Type
    INTP

Why are school shootings becoming more commonplace?

There was another "minor" one today http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/17/justic...html?hpt=hp_t2

Video games, guns are bad, kids these days___, society, George Bush? Is this just a sign of things to come? I remember me and my buddies taking our hunting rifles to school in 9th grade to show off, on the bus, unloaded mind you.

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    Emotional repression. We say some emotions are "positive" and some are "negative", but just not expressing negative emotions doesn't make them go away. I don't know the best solution, exactly, but I think anger shouldn't be viewed as the gravest of 21st century sins, and I think that this kind of thing is somehow related.

I also wonder if maybe childhood is like gender in that there is a box of what is appropriate that doesn't seem to fit a lot of people very well. Think of how many people think of, or even demand, that kids are innocent and "pure." There is a distinct sense of "things kids are not supposed to know about", but I'm not sure that it makes sense. Those things are all part of the world, aren't they? I think it's gotten worse with the rise of "stranger danger" in the 90s and so forth.

Somehow, I think these two things are related. Something important is being repressed, and some people aren't dealing with it very well at all.

Type
    ENTP
    Existential anxiety. The meaninglessness of life is being magnified by our slow march to the singularity.
    We didn't land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Because shootings that happen to take place in or near schools are now tracked by the media and people like that as a special category called "school shootings"--as opposed to just part of the overall number of "shootings" that take place--since somewhere in the 1990's.

Once you've defined a confluence of variables as a discrete phenomenon and start looking for it, you're going to end up with a number that tends to increase, at least for the time periods that occur soon after you start doing this.

Whatever happened to "Going Postal"? Has no one been killed in a post office in a while?

.: PERSISTENCE IS ALL :. Pan_Sonic_000's Avatar
    Type
    ENxx
    Rough guess:

I think it's getting increasingly harder for the average kid to find social significance - and outright impossible if they're anywhere near (or beyond) the fringes. At least that's the perception held by a lot of kids these days. Again, just guessing here.

I mean, the media (especially social media) has set the bar so impossibly high that alot of kids probably feel as though life is more of a hopeless caste system from which they can never escape than a ladder which allows them some degree of mobility and agency over their own lives. Consequently, a lot of shame, resentment and malignant narcissism sets in and they strive for notoriety since it's the one kind of large-scale attention that can be had without necessarily possessing attributes that are normally esteemed by everyone else.

There's a criminal psychologist who talks about this quite a bit. How the worst thing that can happen after every school shooting is putting attention on the shooter because it reinforces the idea that one can escape their social invisibility through violence.
    Wild skies
    Full moon and thoughts collide
    We look for answers in those catatonic, bloodshot eyes
    A steady stream of madness
    Rises to a flood...

...The clock is ticking for Bad Blood

Type
    INTP
    It is interesting that it is mostly white bread kids that are doing this, there is something uniquely triggering white males. I think all of you make good points.

Senior Member Tetris Champion notdavidlynch's Avatar
    Type
    INXP
    Quote Originally Posted by 99Problems View Post
    It is interesting that it is mostly white bread kids that are doing this, there is something uniquely triggering white males. I think all of you make good points.
    It's not that interesting. Males are more violent than females (especially during adolescence), and whites are the majority of the United States.

Type
    INTP
    ^ You're saying they simply don't report Mexican and Black kids shooting the place up, and, they are small minorities?

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Are they increasing?

I only ask, because its a common occurrence for humans to bitch about the increasing rate of bad things, but data often fails to verify such things (and often objectively shows the opposite).

So lets see some numbers....

Type
    INTP