Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm going to kill an elk.

Type
    XXXX

I'm going to kill an elk.

I've never killed an elk and now I'm in one of the best and worst places to do it. It's one of the best because there are lots of elk. It's one of the worst because getting to them and packing them out is hell.

Last weekend I went scouting in the mountains. The last part of the drive I went up a long, wet and narrow dirt road about 10 miles. Snow was falling and about a foot had already accumulated. It was very cold. I scouted one mountain with my dog that night. I climbed about 1,000 feet in the shin deep snow and reached the ridge only to be blasted by wind and more snow. It was hard to keep my eyes open, and the valleys were all covered in fog, so I went back down.

I slept in the back of my covered truck bed and drank hot tea. Before day break, I drank coffee and climbed the mountain again. I got to the ridge and walked the ridge and the sun broke the fog. Then my dog huffed a few times, her nose into the wind. Three cow elk crested another ridge about 400 yards off.

In one month, during elk season, the wind will be much stronger and the snow much deeper, but I have everything I need. I plan to set up a spike camp on a spot I found on the mountain. I will bring all the winter gear I need, my sled and my pack frame, and I will hunt as long as I need too.

I'm going to kill an elk!

Elk dog--the best and toughest dog ever!

Type
    INTP
    Good hunting.

Type
    XXXX
    I'm also going to get a wolf tag and kill one of them too.

Type
    XXXX
    The mountain

Type
    INTP
    Is there any point to killing a wolf? never heard of anyone eating them...but I guess they might have a nice pelt?
    Are they overpopulated in the area? do you need to get a tag to hunt them, there?

Never actually tried elk...but I'm imagining it's something like moose or deer...or maybe bison?
    Anyhow, good luck.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTP
    Sounds like a lot of work.

Type
    INTP
    So excited for you! Hunting elk is definitely on my list. I adore elk meat and it's one of the only things I miss about Colorado. Best of luck!
    Don't remember changing this.

Type
    INXj
    Quote Originally Posted by Makers!* View Post
    I'm also going to get a wolf tag and kill one of them too.
    Lucky. We don't have much of them in our place.

I'm working on my Hunter Ed, practical exam tomorrow. I'm nervous but I aim to have my own kill this year....and to improve my marksmanship.

Good luck!
    Siriusly Black.

Type
    XXXX
    Shelter is the one component of this hunt I've been straining over. I know I need to go two to four miles in the first night, right after I get off work. Again it's going to be cold, very cold, on a mountain with lots of wind. I started looking into hot tents--something I can start a fire in. There are some expansive nylon tents that are made to set up with pack able stoves. This I can't afford.

Then I looked into cotton canvas tents. The lavvus from Northern lavvu looked especially promising, and I showed a guy at my school, and he offered to sell me a small Blackfeet tipi kind of like it for a good price. He makes Blackfeet tipis, and they are nice. So, I went and set up this tipi, and it was then I realized hauling one of them back and setting it up, or even a smaller lavvu, was probably not possible, even if I dragged a sled as I originally imagined. I talked this problem over with the guy, and he gave me another suggestion: Make a Blackfeet war lodge.

A Blackfeet war lodge! Really the way he explained it, it didn't sound to different then any other kind of hasty shelter, interweaving pine bough underneath a thick canopy. But I could make a small fire in there and snuggle in with my military surplus extreme cold weather bag and bivy. That away too I wouldn't have to add any more to my already heavy load. Of course, it's not ideal, but I think at this point it's the only solution that will do. Solo hunting elk here is the Everest of hunting, and I am determined.
    Last edited by Makers!*; 09-27-2017 at 10:35 PM.
    “In a nation of frightened dullards there is a sorry shortage of outlaws, and those few who make the grade are always welcome.” --HST

Will be checking for updates in my jogging pants with the heater on