Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: On Spirituality

Type
    INTP

On Spirituality

Three questions in one here:

1) How would you define «spirituality»? Please provide a succinct definition.

2) Based on that definition, would you say that achieving true / cultivating your «spirituality» is a serious goal for you? Short, mid, long-term? What is your main argument?

3) Will humankind be more in touch with their «spirituality» in future epochs? Or do you think that the opposite is more likely?

Type
    INTP
    1) Matters concerned with the spirit. Very broad and undefined, best I can do.
    2) I don't believe we have spirits so no goals there.
    3) If there was spirits I would say no, they will never be more in touch, there is no clear path. My own view is that viruses and such along the path of evolution have "messed up" the emotional/mental structure of the mind.

.: PERSISTENCE IS ALL :. Pan_Sonic_000's Avatar
    Type
    ENxx
    As-of-yet unexplained phenomena that, from our current perspective and knowledge base, seems mystical.

Who was it that said: (rough paraphrasing here) "any technology that is sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic"? I think a lot of spirituality can be filed under that category.

2) Based on that definition, would you say that achieving true / cultivating your «spirituality» is a serious goal for you? Short, mid, long-term? What is your main argument?
    I think so, yes. But 99% of what I pursue in this category is directly related to consciousness studies (meditation and so forth) as opposed to new age beliefs in "healing crystals" or whatever.

I've long suspected that materialism is flawed, though I am equivocal and cautious on other explanations for the nature of reality. In short, I think the universe has multiple personality disorder; we are all microscopes it uses to look back onto itself. So whatever spiritual pursuits I have are related to this (again, practicing things like meditation).

As far as goals, I don't have any. I take it a day at a time.

3) Will humankind be more in touch with their «spirituality» in future epochs? Or do you think that the opposite is more likely?
    Yes. But, again, it's going to be through the progress of science and rational thought. When we arrive at that point, it probably won't seem so spiritual.

I mean, a cure for polio would have seemed magical/spiritual if it were introduced to the world 1,000 years ago. Today, it's just medicine. Likewise, communicating telepathically might seem 'spiritual' today, but in 1,000 years it'll just be going to work to get shit done more efficiently.
    Wild skies
    Full moon and thoughts collide
    We look for answers in those catatonic, bloodshot eyes
    A steady stream of madness
    Rises to a flood...

...The clock is ticking for Bad Blood

Type
    INTP
    Great questions.

1) Tough to define. I would say: a nurturing and caretaking of one's life under the guidance of God through the Holy Spirit.

2) An ongoing "goal," if there is such a thing. Maybe more of a lifestyle.

3) I hope so.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Type
    XXXX
    1) For me currently, however subject to change, spirituality is something synomous to balance, or a cache of knowledge (gathered from science, philospophy, and the humanities) that I can tap to satisfactorly explain the meaning behind all of life's bullshit, without being thrown into a whirlwind of anxiety and depression.

2) Of course, based on my definition, finding a spiritual center is ongoing, longterm goal as unprecendeted bullshit will always present itself.

3) I believe humankind is finding more clever ways to distract itself from the heavier aspects of our existence, but we will forever be forced to reconcile them. And so spirtuality must continue to exist.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludvik View Post
    That's always been a tricky one for me to define. I think anything that has to do with the mind and the idea of the mind as separate from the physical is spiritual.

As far back as I can remember I've always been analyzing my own mind to figure out what makes me tick, what my motivations and demotivations are and how to avoid pitfalls such as depression, prejudice and naďvety/cynicism. In the long run it's indeed become a serious goal for me to understand myself in a way that helps me get through life and enjoy it. It's done a lot to help me in that regard.

Not sure if that really counts as spiritual, but apart from that, I can't really think of much I've done in terms of spirituality.

I think the capabilities of the human mind are likely to change somewhat as generations pass by, but much less so than culture, and I think it's in culture that ideas on spirituality exist and evolve. As such they will change, but most likely in varied directions. In other words, I think both are likely to happen eventually.

Type
    INTP
    1) A perceived connection with the realm of the mystic or supernatural, elevated through ritual practice.

2) I don't take it seriously, but I think there is value in recreational 'spirituality', for entertainment and possibly therapy. I have a fascination with the 'Sanctuary', altars, monuments, and statues. I suppose the art leaves an impression on me. The interest is not with any association with any 'x' doctrine, but as places and landmarks for contemplation and peace, or projection of bombastic mysticism (Greek gods, innumerable saints.. here's a nice example). I would certainly feel something. Maybe they're not much different than works in museums, but they seem more powerful outside of them, independent.

The sense of 'holiness' or 'sanctity' that has such an effect on people is kind of curious. Some speak of it as though it's crack for the soul. I've never interpreted/experienced it just so (maybe a 'Zen' of sorts), and not in a unique fashion. For example, if I were to tell you to imagine a fairy sprinkling purity-dust that will cleanse the soul, or perhaps set it on fire, how would you internalize that? What if your yoga teacher instructs you to imagine a ball floating over you dripping with happiness, how would it feel? I would guess the same way the Holy Spirit does. I can't tell the difference. It's mind over matter, though some believe the stimuli is owed to the subject itself (God) rather than the act of... meditation, prayer, etc.

3) No more or less. I notice people disassociate with religious institutions more than in the past, but many still consider themselves 'spiritual', so I expect a marginal change.
    Last edited by Faust; 01-18-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Type
    INTP

The ability to entertain ideas based on nonconclusive data.

"true spirituality" is a nonsense term. What is the difference between 95% spirituality and 100% spirituality? How do you know you've reached it? I don't know how to answer that question.
    My main argument for not wanting to be more spiritual is that it does me no good. A sense of humor and an open mind are the only expressions of "spirituality" I can think of that are positive assets, and I don't think those can be cultivated as much as they are a part of your personality to begin with.

We will almost certainly be less in touch with our spirituality the more advanced our society becomes.

Depends on the context, or more succinctly, who is using the word. I rarely if ever use it myself, but I will attempt to define it for myself here:

The level of self realization I have reached or am using in my daily life, mainly with regards to how I fit into the world and how my actions, needs, and desires affect both myself and the world around me.

Part of that spiritual journey has been the realization that there are always epiphanies and self discoveries to be made. I know that I can always look back at the self I was a few years before and at some aspect of what I was. When I can no longer do that, it's likely proof that I have ceased to grow spiritually. As a very introspective individual, I'm constantly cultivating my definition of spirituality, but it's more of a bi-product of that aspect of myself than a goal.

As technology makes information and reality more accessible to people, I'm optimistic that it will inevitably clear many of the cultural and historical road blocks humankind has had to thinking for themselves, and considering themselves in a more open minded manner.

Type
    InTp
    A sense of incorporeal connection to the Universe around you (could be partial, it is used to apply to both living and inanimate objects).

No. I don't have a good argument here, it just doesn't occur to me.

I don't see «spirituality» as a logical question, so I don't imagine that a higher order analysis will result from future access to current thought and ideas. Having said that, the imagination of others continues to surprise me, so I guess I just don't know. (I still tend to believe that advancement is more likely than regression, in the long term, at least until you consider human extinction.)