Page 62 of 64 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 LastLast

Thread: Trump's Last 100 Days

Banned
    Type
    XXXX
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    Don't worry, an old dead white guy told me a revolution was going to happen soon. Everything will be fine. I know his will, ok? Everything's gonna be totes cool.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrubjay View Post
    Don't worry, an old dead white guy told me a revolution was going to happen soon. Everything will be fine. I know his will, ok? Everything's gonna be totes cool.

Type
    INFJ

Type
    INTP
    In a way it's just as well that Trump is so straightforward in his villainy. Give the voters a clear choice.
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro

Type
    INFJ
    Twelve Russians charged with US 2016 election hack

lol right as Donny is going in for his annual performance review.

Type
    intp
    Twelve Russians charged with US 2016 election hack

lol right as Donny is going in for his annual performance review.

He just called The Sun fake news... even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Type
    intp
    Curious to know how much influence Russia had in influencing the election compared to the traditional kind of American election corruption from US corporations. Like an actual numerical figure on the thing, comparing each. And is there be an equivalent probe into the regular kind of corruption and election influencing that's been going on forever? Trump's a prick and everything, a terrible president, but it's all such a distraction. People are idiots. Self serving.

I briefly watched the Helsinki thing that apparently is a big deal. I don't understand. He wasn't enough opposed to whatever Putin says? I might have missed something. Maybe I didn't watch the right clip. Just seemed fairly typical Trump. Kind of stupid, and slightly wrong, but not too bad. He doesn't like the Russian probe thing.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by scarydoor View Post
    Curious to know how much influence Russia had in influencing the election compared to the traditional kind of American election corruption from US corporations. Like an actual numerical figure on the thing, comparing each. And is there be an equivalent probe into the regular kind of corruption and election influencing that's been going on forever? Trump's a prick and everything, a terrible president, but it's all such a distraction. People are idiots. Self serving.

I briefly watched the Helsinki thing that apparently is a big deal. I don't understand. He wasn't enough opposed to whatever Putin says? I might have missed something. Maybe I didn't watch the right clip. Just seemed fairly typical Trump. Kind of stupid, and slightly wrong, but not too bad. He doesn't like the Russian probe thing.

My understanding is that people are mostly making a hoo-ha over Trump saying that he believes Putin when Putin says he didn't do anything.

I mean, it's a "Noted Dumbass Says Stupid Thing" kind of controversy.

I stopped following the whole Russiagate thing some time ago (like you say, "Oh, my God, shady meetings, questionable money transfers, and influence-peddling? Who could ever have imagined such a thing happening in America of all places?") but to my knowledge the actually evidence-supported allegations at this point still mostly boil down to the Russians' external-propaganda services running a smear campaign to circulate brain-dead conspiracy theories about Clinton, and carrying out the infamous hack of some private emails where nothing of any interest was said. (Apparently some people find this shocking, though I either assume they're just pretending to be or I want to ask them what grade they're in at school.)

Also it's basically been proven that some Russian diplomats talked to some people on the Trump campaign staff about what they were going to do beforehand.

I'm guessing that for Democrats the real prize here is the slim hope that they manage to nail Trump to something illegal enough for the Republican majority in Congress to be willing to impeach him over it. I haven't seen any evidence of anything like that coming down the pipeline, though.

But honestly I don't think anybody knows at this point what Republicans would actually consider a meaningfully unethical thing for a politician to do. (They seem to have already agreed with Trump that laws are not a kind of thing that's applicable to you if you're the president.) Morality, for Republicans, seems to be a concept that revolves entirely and exclusively around sex. Like if somebody found out that Trump had sex with a dude, he could plausibly be out of there in a hot minute.

But barring that, it's really anybody's guess, so the Democrats seem to be mostly banking on nationalism and xenophobic paranoia.

So that's what they're all yelling about right now. They're trying to get all the liberals and as many conservatives as they can manage frothing at the mouth about "the damn president selling us out to a bunch of dirty furriners!"

(Why does that sound so familiar? Oh, right, Obama already sold us out to the Iranians or the Muslim Brotherhood or the gay frogs or something. I forget who he sold us out to or how, but a lot of people were frothily yelling about that a few years ago. Our presidents just do this so often that you can't really keep track of every time it happens.)

People like how it feels to throw the word "treason" around, even though in our legal system at least, treason is a charge that only actually applies if the country has already declared war on the foreign state the person is accused of providing substantive military assistance to.

Not like that stops anyone, of course. It is a fun word to say.

And is there be an equivalent probe into the regular kind of corruption and election influencing that's been going on forever?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

But seriously, no, of course not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ptah View Post
    No history, no exposition, no anecdote or argument changes the invariant: we are all human beings, and some humans are idiots.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mexico View Post
    People like how it feels to throw the word "treason" around, even though in our legal system at least, treason is a charge that only actually applies if the country has already declared war on the foreign state the person is accused of providing substantive military assistance to.

Not like that stops anyone, of course. It is a fun word to say.
    If only "malfeasance" were better known, right? But malfeasance sounds more like something resolved with a meeting, or maybe a fine. Treason brings guillotines and nooses to mind.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)