Page 3 of 85 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump's Last 100 Days

Type
    xxxx
    I think finding the signals will be difficult because Mueller is going to come down like a hammer out of nowhere. Right now he's in stealth mode.

But every little minor infraction by the Trump team will give magnified leverage to Mueller. This "private email usage" is just one example.

Quote Originally Posted by Blorg View Post
    omg I don't understand you at all. Not through lack of trying - I have facebook friends who write similarly baffling things and I'd love to understand them. I don't get how generally intelligent people can willingly (it seems to me), without regret or cognitive dissonance, play so fast and loose with reality.

It occurs to me that it might have something to do with American culture specifically - the way of seeing the world as a blank slate, run by malleable laws, waiting not primarily to be explored but to be defined. Probably a bad habit passed down by the colonists.
    I get what he's saying. Basically, there are two black and white perspectives happening in US culture:
    1: Merika!
    2: Merika SUCKS!

As long as 1 and 2 can only see in black and white, we're fucked at some point. It reminds me of that video my sis loves called "It's not the nail". 1 and 2 are both ignoring their heads, and they look like Pinhead. What Mike is saying is that by doing such protests, they're not protesting any nails at all, regardless of what nails they have. The nails likely differ for every individual (for example your nails are probably very different from Mikes), but he still has a valid point.
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber

Type
    INfj
    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    I get what he's saying. Basically, there are two black and white perspectives happening in US culture:
    1: Merika!
    2: Merika SUCKS!

As long as 1 and 2 can only see in black and white, we're fucked at some point. It reminds me of that video my sis loves called "It's not the nail". 1 and 2 are both ignoring their heads, and they look like Pinhead. What Mike is saying is that by doing such protests, they're not protesting any nails at all, regardless of what nails they have. The nails likely differ for every individual (for example your nails are probably very different from Mikes), but he still has a valid point.
    #2 doesn't actually exist, though? The football thing is about racism, nobody in it hates america unilaterally, they all live there and benefit from its prosperity after all. They're just refusing to honor the flag in order to protest against the oppression of people of colour - and the president has proven their point, by saying it has nothing to do with race, overriding their voices with a white man's opinion which gets far more attention than theirs.

And if you wanna tell me protesting racism is 'it's not about the nail'-tier...then let's put on balaclavas and start cooking molotovs.
    Empty your mind. Be formless. Shapeless. Like water. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    #2 doesn't actually exist, though? The football thing is about racism, nobody in it hates america unilaterally, they all live there and benefit from its prosperity after all. They're just refusing to honor the flag in order to protest against the oppression of people of colour - and the president has proven their point, by saying it has nothing to do with race, overriding their voices with a white man's opinion which gets far more attention than theirs.

And if you wanna tell me protesting racism is 'it's not about the nail'-tier...then let's put on balaclavas and start cooking molotovs.
    Yes, #2 does exist and is prominent. And Kaepernick was getting a ton of attention way before Trump said anything about it. I mean, on top of all the attention professional athletes already get. And if you don't want to be seen as anti-American, maybe protesting the national anthem and the flag aren't the best approaches. Unless all you really want is attention, then it's a great approach. See also: balaclavas and molotovs

Type
    INTx
    Quote Originally Posted by Blorg View Post
    omg I don't understand you at all. Not through lack of trying - I have facebook friends who write similarly baffling things and I'd love to understand them. I don't get how generally intelligent people can willingly (it seems to me), without regret or cognitive dissonance, play so fast and loose with reality.

It occurs to me that it might have something to do with American culture specifically - the way of seeing the world as a blank slate, run by malleable laws, waiting not primarily to be explored but to be defined. Probably a bad habit passed down by the colonists.
    You not understanding supports my myopic lefties theory. Though it's apparently incomprehensible to you, a significant portion of Americans revere the national anthem and the American flag. It provokes a negative reaction when a point is made of disrespecting those national symbols. If your aim is to raise consciousness of "systematic racism" or unjustified police shootings, disrespecting the national anthem is an off target and counterproductive means of gaining sympathy for your cause among that portion of Americans. It makes you look anti-American in their eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Starjots View Post
    ...for his core supporters. People see what they want to see and are blind to the rest. In this case, things like nepotism, conflict of interests, freedom from information/truth, bad management, attention whoring and narcissism. These are blind spots for his supporters and don't even touch what could be termed as -policy disagreements-. And you call 'lefties' 'myopic'.
    OK l'll grant that lefties don't have a myopia monopoly.

Type
    INfj
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    Yes, #2 does exist and is prominent. And Kaepernick was getting a ton of attention way before Trump said anything about it. I mean, on top of all the attention professional athletes already get. And if you don't want to be seen as anti-American, maybe protesting the national anthem and the flag aren't the best approaches. Unless all you really want is attention, then it's a great approach. See also: balaclavas and molotovs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    You not understanding supports my myopic lefties theory. Though it's apparently incomprehensible to you, a significant portion of Americans revere the national anthem and the American flag. It provokes a negative reaction when a point is made of disrespecting those national symbols. If your aim is to raise consciousness of "systematic racism" or unjustified police shootings, disrespecting the national anthem is an off target and counterproductive means of gaining sympathy for your cause among that portion of Americans. It makes you look anti-American in their eyes.
    What would you recommend instead?
    Empty your mind. Be formless. Shapeless. Like water. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

Type
    INfj
    Americans: "Sports shouldn't be so political"
    Europeans: "You are like a little baby. Watch this:"

Type
    INTx
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance View Post
    What would you recommend instead?
    Protest with signs articulating what they're protesting against. They could do so outside the stadium as the game lets out, or at the location of their protest target, e.g. in front of a police station or some other purportedly racist institution that is part of the systematic racism.

Type
    INTP
    They can do whatever they want, I mean it's pro sports, who cares. It would look better if he was a really good player and he just stated the issue. Probably most people wouldn't pay attention. Getting most people to pay attention to something important without pissing them off is an even more valuable skill than throwing a ball.

Type
    INtP
    They're on tv as the anthem is playing. For sheer publicity and awareness building, it is a good time to make the statement.

I am annoyed that this is in the news so much. The athletes and trump going back and forth is as stupid and pointless news as kardashian family updates.