Thread: Flaws Differing

Type
    xxxx
    INTPx Award Winner

Flaws Differing

So you've heard of Isabel Myers and Katherine Brigg's idea of Gifts Differing - that each type have their own unique strengths.

What about Flaws Differing?

I started to idealise the INTJ matrix so I worked on becoming a bit more J for a few weeks. But after achieving that goal to some extent, I'm delighted to have more structure in my life but as a result my personality feels somehow flatter, and less vivacious... It got me thinking, I want to become more ENTP-like next, but what would I dislike about being ENTP I wonder?

So what do you think are some Flaws Differing of different types? of INTPs? ENTPs? ESFJs? As in what would be some self-perceived flaws if you happened to become any of these archetypes?
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Check out my art. https://www.instagram.com/karililt/

Banned
    Type
    INTP
    One of the primary concepts of MBTI, as I understand it, was that psychology often puts a lot of emphasis into what is wrong with people - calling deviation from the norm a problem. The idea is that most of us differ and this is not a bad thing as we can all find strengths and good traits that are useful to us in different walks of life. Those strengths, however, do seem to come at a cost and can be double edged swords. For example, as an INTP, my ability to overanalyse things can be very useful when trying to solve a particular problem, however overthinking has some big downsides. I can intuitively understand some very complex subjects, but have a tendency to miss small details.

An ISTJ can be very methodical and remember those details very well, as well as being quite productive workers. But they're methodical nature makes them susceptible to OCD traits and in my experience they have trouble understanding those complicated concepts that come easily to me.

I find this a useful thing to notice as it can give us the ability to understand our flaws and work on fixing them whilst at the same time playing to our strengths. It also gives me a better way of explaining something to someone - I figured out someone was an ISTJ, so instead of explaining the concept just made them a good procedure to follow. Likewise, I had to teach an INFP the same thing and just explained the concept behind it.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I have an ENTP friend. He is smart, well adjusted, and in charge of his life, but he can't eat out alone. He has nightmares about it. He has the same hangup about movie theaters. When I told him I like to go to the movies alone, he shuddered involuntarily and told me one of the worst memories in his adult life was of going to a movie by himself.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INTP
    The only one that really comes to mind is for INFP: it's really okay not to be liked. It's not going to kill you if someone doesn't like you. Doesn't make them a bad person, and it doesn't make you a bad person. It's just the way it is.

Type
    INTP
    INTP's, and to some extent all introverts, run the risk of being socially disconnected. While we have less need for social interaction than many, a minimum threshold still needs to be achieved.

We also tend to procrastinate and our disorganization can lead to things failing to get done in a timely fashion.

It's also never great to be in the minority, as the majority tends to configure society to conform to their needs. So there is that, although that is not a flaw in our personality type per se.

SJs closed mindedness can (and does) lead to myriad problems. Repeating the same mistakes and a "when you're a hammer, everything is a nail" approach to problem solving.

I suppose all the other types have their weaknesses too, but I haven't given them enough thought. Somebody is responsible for social media and the twittersphere though. Not to mention that news is no longer about information, but more about entertainment. That's not the fault of NTs.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Senseye View Post
    Not to mention that news is no longer about information, but more about entertainment. That's not the fault of NTs.
    I'm not convinced it ever was about anything other than entertainment and manipulation.
    You winsome, you loathsome.
    --Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)