Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you a superrecogniser?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

Are you a superrecogniser?

http://superrecognisers.com/

I scored 4 out of 14. I took it a second time and got 6.

I suck at this.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    INxP
    9/14. Not sure to do with that info, haha.

edit: I also don't get what the science behind this "superrecogniser" thing is, like of course 1-2% of the population are gonna be better at recognising faces in these sorts of tests than the rest of the population ... are we gonna start sticking "super-" as a prefix on everything like that? Like a "supersneezer" is someone who sneezes more than at least 98% of the population? I don't really get it. Though I suppose a superrecogniser is more useful than a supersneezer.

Type
    ISFP
    12/14

easy, not even paying attention

Type
    INTP
    11/14
    Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

~ Robert Jackson, Statesman (1892-1954)

Type
    INTP
    11/14. Like Utisz, not sure if...

Type
    INFJ
    I got a bit distracted on the last four or so.

You scored 10 out of 14.

If you scored above 10 or more you may be a super-recogniser. However, no test on its own is diagnostic of super-recognition face recognition ability.

Edit: Scored 11 on my second attempt. ...thought I was paying closer attention.
    Last edited by itch; 10-03-2017 at 02:06 AM.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Seriously? I took it again and got 5. It gets harder every time because they all start blending together.

As for the purpose...police use them. They are apparently better than face recognition software because scarves and hats and whatnot don't screw them up.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...r-police-force Heh...the head of the task force is named Neville...

Neville is burly and ruddy-faced, with beady eyes and a flinty, tough-guy grin. He speaks in the gruff murmur of his native Lancashire and swathes his considerable bulk in pin-striped suits and regimental ties. As a trainee detective in Brixton, during the nineteen-nineties, Neville worked gangs, and he excelled at recruiting informants. Raised by a working-class single mother, he found common ground with the young people he arrested for robbing post offices and betting parlors. He’d slip them cigarettes or buy them a sandwich, then cajole them into snitching on their associates. In those days, CCTV images were stored in big photobooks, like family albums, and Neville would barge into a holding cell, plop the book down, and bark, “All right—names and faces!”

I'm going to wonder if something is wrong with me if no one else scores low.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

Type
    INTP
    Also 9. But I think the distortions and perspectives didn't throw me off the way the bank of 126 faces in short-term memory at the end, as compared to 9 faces at the beginning, threw me off.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Sistamatic View Post
    Seriously? I took it again and got 5. It gets harder every time because they all start blending together.

As for the purpose...police use them. They are apparently better than face recognition software because scarves and hats and whatnot don't screw them up.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...r-police-force
    Take it again, but don't focus on the whole face and details. Instead, quickly assess high-level feature. Eyes: width, squinty or round/open. Chin: underbite/overbite, cleft or not. Jawline: square or rounded. Overall facial shape: Karl Pilkington's avatar or Limey. Nose: length and width, spatial relationship to mouth and eyes.

That sounds like a lot, but you (or, I guess, I) can evaluate all that very quickly without any other details (like hairstyle, front/side view, etc). Try it. I bet you'll do better.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Dammit. 6.

What's hilarious is that I can tell most of the squirrels in my yard apart.
    @stigmatica @epistemophiliac come take the test so we can see if this is genetic.