Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are you a superrecogniser?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by KOI View Post
    11/14, but two I second guessed myself and one I knew I didn't know.

@Sistamatic: are you looking for anchoring points? Treat it like one of those games where they give you a picture littered with objects to memorize for a few seconds, then hide it, and either ask questions about it, or show you an altered version to spot differences in or find the objects from the previous picture in. The early ones are no-brainers because the pictures are the same. The later ones involve rotations so you need to pick your important features more carefully. Patterns of moles, shape of nose, how they hold their eyes, lip shape, set of jaw. Instead of trying to memorize the face, try and memorize a collection of self-understood features. Then, check the new photos to see which ones have those features--as you understand them to be. Break the image into conceptual blocks. They're easier to string together meaningfully, like words in a sentence. Strings are easier to compare than memories.
    The last time I was trying to recognize features that seemed unusual...like a longer chin or an upper lip that seemed to jut, or large ears...and that got me back up to six. I'm thinking about taking it next time I've had a couple of drinks to see if maybe I'm trying to hard and that's getting in the way. I'm used to being naturally good at most things, so this is really kind of amazing to me. It's like I'm watching a bunch of people flap their arms and fly and realizing that I was supposed to be able to do that all along.

But lets say I do manage to use your technique to trick this test into thinking I can tell humans apart by their faces. It probably won't help much in daily life. After 46 years, I've probably gotten better than most at recognizing voices and walks or something. At least that's what I'm going to tell myself.

My husband scored 11.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

I'm not avoiding socializing I'm helping socializing avoid me! --MoneyJungle

Type
    xxxx
    11/14

Not a bad score considering all white people look the same
    I fucking hate the cold! - Wim Hof

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by kali View Post
    11/14

Not a bad score considering all white people look the same
    If there was only one white person in each movie, I could tell who they were every single time.
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner

But when I see someone I know in public I often strongly doubt it's them.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

10/14

Seems like their estimate of what makes someone above average at facial recognition is askew (going by the average score here).

If they did the same but with women I believe I would find it much more difficult. Women all look the same to me.

@Sistematic
    Any chance you're an autist? Apparently there can be a difference in how they process faces.

Type
    iNtP
    Idaho... this sometimes changes withought planning...
    INTPx Award Winner
    8 first try... i want to try this on a computer... the faces are absolutely tiny on my phone...
    "The vanity of intelligence is that the intelligent man is often more committed to 'one-upping' his opponent than being truthful. When the idea of intelligence, rather than intelligence itself, becomes a staple, there is no wisdom in it."
    Criss Jami

"When dealing with people, remember you are not dealing with creatures of logic, but creatures of emotion."
    "Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self control to be understanding and forgiving."
    Dale Carnegie

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by MySweetInsanity View Post
    Any chance you're an autist?
    Rofl. I get asked that a lot. I don't think so...maybe? Not sure it matters at this point.

Type
    INTP
    I only got 7 first try. 10 second try.

Was it my imagination or did the line-up pictures look distorted? Kind of shrunk and squashed. The one-off photos seemed to have more natural proportions. If those lineup array photos are what is really shown to witnesses, the police should be given a slap upside the head. It's like they are trying to make them hard to identify.

@Sistematic
    It probably doesn't matter in a general sense, but if you're asked it a lot and you're trying to explain why you're bad at this particular test, it seems relevant.

@Senseye
    Yeah I was thinking it a bit distorted, but ended up concluding that men in profile just look fkn retarded. Like a vilociraptor's munted mammalian cousin.

Type
    intp