Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crows and Ravens - Split from the Welcome Section.

Type
    INTP

Crows and Ravens - Split from the Welcome Section.

Quote Originally Posted by itch View Post
    Deep down I just want to post random stuff about the crows and blue jays in my front yard, snacks, being mean to pigeons (I still haven't figured that one out), having naps and staying up too late.

I eagerly await a crow thread.

Edit by Stigmatica: (Split from this thread)
    Last edited by stigmatica; 10-04-2017 at 06:30 PM.

Type
    INFJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    I eagerly await a crow thread.
    Me too. The right one hasn't come to me yet but it will.

Crows and Ravens are incredible. I had a big discussion about them a few months ago when talking about possible study proposals for someone to submit. If 100 people did 100 new studies on them tomorrow, I'd read nothing else but the results until I had absorbed them all. I've always wanted to be friends with a flock. Like know them personally. I should probably put that on my nearly empty bucket list.
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber

Type
    INTP
    Well, I know of at least one more crow fan on the forum. And I bet there are a bunch more. Smart little buggers. Here's an idea:

Let's take over the Math, Science & Tech forum with animal threads. You can start one called "On Crows" or something like that, and we can dump a bunch of crow documentary, articles, photos, YouTube videos etc in it.

To be followed up by different threads on different animals.

Type
    INFJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    Crows and Ravens are incredible. I had a big discussion about them a few months ago when talking about possible study proposals for someone to submit. If 100 people did 100 new studies on them tomorrow, I'd read nothing else but the results until I had absorbed them all. I've always wanted to be friends with a flock. Like know them personally. I should probably put that on my nearly empty bucket list.
    There's a number of families which live in my neighborhood. I say "families" because I'm pretty sure I'm observing mates and offspring. I don't know if they're all part of one big murder or if they are several smaller ones, but they've been here for generations. One of these families/murders runs my block. I've counted five or six in this particular group. I've been feeding them peanuts for a few years.

We're not friends yet; more like loose acquaintances. I'm working on that. They know who I am though, and that I'm good for snacks.

There's a number of families which live in my neighborhood. I say "families" because I'm pretty sure I'm observing mates and offspring. I don't know if they're all part of one big murder or if they are several smaller ones, but they've been here for generations. One of these families/murders runs my block. I've counted five or six in this particular group. I've been feeding them peanuts for a few years.

We're not friends yet; more like loose acquaintances. I'm working on that. They know who I am though, and that I'm good for snacks.
    Yes! Also, murder not flock. Nice.

I have a few murders here too. They talk to me sometimes, but I have no idea what they're saying. I'm always paranoid that they're bitching at me for something, but I don't know what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mara View Post
    my crime is that i disrupted the echo chamber

Type
    INFJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    Well, I know of at least one more crow fan on the forum. And I bet there are a bunch more. Smart little buggers. Here's an idea:

Let's take over the Math, Science & Tech forum with animal threads. You can start one called "On Crows" or something like that, and we can dump a bunch of crow documentary, articles, photos, YouTube videos etc in it.

To be followed up by different threads on different animals.
    Crows, cats, skunks... there are other animals?

Type
    INTP
    Crows, cats, skunks... there are other animals?
    Stoffel, the Honey Badger!

Type
    INFJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by stigmatica View Post
    They talk to me sometimes, but I have no idea what they're saying. I'm always paranoid that they're bitching at me for something, but I don't know what it is.
    Do you ever count the calls? I've noticed the ones here will do things like 5 evenly spaced "caw!" and then wait a bit before calling again the same way, rinse, repeat. If you listen very closely, sometimes you can hear another one calling back in the distance.

They also make this interesting sort of clicking or clucking sound at one another when they're close.

One day in the last couple of weeks I heard one outside so I went out with some peanuts. It was perched alone on the utility lines above the sidewalk, and it would call three times and then go "hurrrrrr" (it sounded like human sound, not a crow sound). It did this for a couple minutes while I waited around to see if it was going to take any peanuts. It didn't appear to be unwell (at least, it wasn't staggering around or anything). Oddly, I didn't see any of the others around either. This might not have been one of "my" crows.

I haven't heard one making that sound since. I understand that they can mock human words like parrots.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    They also make this interesting sort of clicking or clucking sound at one another when they're close.
    It's the same sound as one of the sounds the Predator makes.

Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)