Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Crows and Ravens - Split from the Welcome Section.

Type
    INFJ
    I have thought about it; it's certainly a possibility. I wonder how my neighbors would feel about that... I'd have to be discrete. I say that because I don't think anyone else on my end of the street has outdoor cameras.

When I come up the steps from the basement (where I sleep) to the main floor I have to walk past a tiny widow which looks out towards my neighbors yard. Clustered onto one corner of my neighbor's roof which can see directly down through that window, were ALL the pigeons, watching me come upstairs. It's like I have to carry a camera all the time to catch these moments as they happen. I turned around and went back downstairs to find a device with a camera in it and when I got back up the steps they were gone.

Truman Burbank would never have this problem.
    stupid pancakes.

Type
    INFJ
    Some of my posse...

stupid pancakes.

Type
    INTP
    The strutting crow on the left is unmistakable. What are the smaller gray birds?
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro

Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    The strutting crow on the left is unmistakable. What are the smaller gray birds?
    Those would be pigeons. I'm pretty certain they used to live about 3/4 of a KM from here. There were always a couple dozen perched on the utility lines along the sidewalk at the bottom of the hill; someone had been feeding them there. The person feeding them is gone now, and so the pigeons disappeared from that location a few years back... and re-appeared in front of my house. I had been putting out seed for the starlings (stupid, stupid stupid!) and these pigeons came seemingly from outta nowhere.

Pigeons are neat but they're relatively filthy... gawd what a mess. I don't know how to make them move along other than to be mean to them, and I'm not capable. If they were people this would be resolved by now by hook or by crook.

Somehow I missed providing a link to a bigger version. I need to get some normal gallery crap going on. i h8 social media so much grr

download larger (3MB) version of that image
    stupid pancakes.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by itch View Post
    Pigeons are neat but they're relatively filthy... gawd what a mess.
    I know. A pigeon family made a nest on a sheltered ledge outside of one of my office's windows. We got to watch the chicks grow up there. Afterwards, a guy in a hazmat suit cleaned it out.
    Your gardening sucks and your avocados ain't fruitin'. -- Sappho the Maestro

Type
    INFJ
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    I know. A pigeon family made a nest on a sheltered ledge outside of one of my office's windows. We got to watch the chicks grow up there. Afterwards, a guy in a hazmat suit cleaned it out.
    That sounds about right
    stupid pancakes.

Type
    INFJ
    I just rescued a pigeon from one certain demise and probably doomed it to a second demise. Not sure which would have been worse...

Made a run for birdseed and peanuts this morning, and when I got back there was the usual mob of pigeons, some jays and one of my crows (the one with white spots on its wings). I put some seed and peanuts out and started to get my day on track.

Walked past the front window just in time to see a cat snatch a pigeon and head under my doorstep - not cool... cats will be cats but carcasses don't belong under the step; I stepped outside with the intention of at least spooking the cat enough to make it move its shady dealings elsewhere. No cat under the step; some jays were scolding something in the back yard. The shed... there's a hole in the back of the shed... bastard is going to leave that pigeon in there to rot (with all the raccoon feces... that shed has to be torn down). Also not cool. I got around the back corner of the house and sure enough, cat with pigeon in mouth was angling for the rear wall of the shed. Grabbed a long stick off the ground, got to the back of the shed... the hole was plugged with the cat, making an ingress. I whacked the stick against the side of the shed, so it made a loud snap...

...a pigeon came out of the hole in the back of the shed. It shuffled its way through the brush piled behind the shed, up over the wooden fence and flew off to the south like a pigeon out of hell. The cat emerged from the hole close behind the pigeon and took refuge in the brush... which I whacked with the stick. The cat bolted to the neighbor's yard, mouth still full of feathers.

I'm not sure how messed up that pigeon was. It was able to fly off at any rate - it was a couple blocks south before I lost sight of it.
    stupid pancakes.

Type
    INFJ
    lol some days it's just out of hand around here.

I've just come in from standing outside for like fifteen minutes with a puffy black cat circling my ankles and rolling around on my feet while I tossed peanuts for the crows. Every time the cat got interested I'd be all like "Oi! not yours." and I would get a guilty look from it and then it would just continue its routine at my feet. The crows were very aware of the cat, but as long as it was sticking around me they seemed ok with what was going on; I was throwing peanuts out onto the road so there was plenty of distance between us if the cat decided to bolt after one of them. I think this might have been the same cat that lost the pigeon earlier. Maybe it was apologizing for operating on my turf... probably not.

I don't mind that all the friggin' animals like or trust me, but it's really friggin' exhausting sometimes... even if all I'm doing is tossing some peanuts around.
    stupid pancakes.

Type
    INFJ
    Single Serving Peanut Crow is a difficult nut to crack. I'm not sure what's up with this one but it's trying.

I mentioned before that this one is into the smaller shells; while the others will group together as many of the larger shells as they can efficiently carry this one seems to go for the smaller shells, at least at first. This makes sense as it can store a more of the smaller peanuts in its craw before it starts stacking larger shells.

Having observed what seems to be a preference for that particular shell configuration our routine over the last week has changed a bit. The other crows will be on the lawn or the sidewalk and this one will be right at the foot of my steps. It won't let me come closer, and it hasn't shown interest in taking a peanut from my hand, but when I pick out a tiny one from the bag and lob it to it, it takes it. If I throw a larger one, it checks it out and leaves it alone. After it gets 4-5 of these things it goes away for a minute or two and comes back, lather, rinse, repeat.

Yesterday and today it has started to get even more particular and I haven't figured it out yet. I've been sorting out the smaller peanuts and setting them aside, and when that crow arrives and comes up to the step I've been tossing it those peanuts. Today it wanted some, but not others. I don't think it was a size thing, and I couldn't see anything wrong with them, like there weren't any worm holes or rot or anything like that. So weird.

I keep talking to it in a low voice when it's up close.

Winter is coming. I have to stop leaving the damned door wide open while I'm standing out on the front step playing with my bird.
    stupid pancakes.