Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to live on the road

Type
    INTP

I want to live on the road

I've been thinking about it for a couple weeks now and I've talked about it on here a bit. I want to have as few possessions as possible as just move from city to city, from country to country. I guess this would probably be more fun in Europe. Anyway, the problem is money. I need to find a way to make money either online or in each city I'm going to visit. Or both. Maybe I could be touring with a band? I would carry a sleeping bag and a tent, and would sleep anywhere... off the side of the road, on some farmer's land (with his permission, of course, maybe I could offer some help), in shaggy hotels, on friendly people's couches... Or I could buy a boat, and just cruise around the Mediterranean sea.

I might get lonely, though, and always meeting new people could be disorienting for an introvert like me. But I guess I'll get used to it. And if I choose to travel with someone else, it would have to be someone with whom I always agree, or agree to disagree. Another NT, I guess.

I remember Douglas Hofstadter relating his experience living like that, on the road, in the preface of GEB, though he had plenty of money from his rich parents. I think he had a car. I'm not sure I'd want one. I don't like cars. Maybe a bike. Or an electric motorcycle.

Anyway, have you guys ever done something like this?

Type
    INTP
    I could teach you to read Tarot Cards? /halfserious. Sit down in any touristy or downtown city type place and offer to read cards, you'll make some money.

Tawaci ki a Gnaska ki Osito Polar's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Yes. Do you know how to sail? Are you handy to have on a boat? If not, maybe you'd like learning it. It's a time honored way of traveling on the way-way-cheap. By time honored I mean like milleniums. It hasn't always been that safe, though. In my experience nowadays it's pretty safe but definitely not comfortable.

If you don't want to learn tarot cards, learn any sort of entertainment that has small and easily transported props. You'll so well a place like Key West.
    "I don't have psychological problems." --Madrigal

"When you write about shooting Polemarch in the head, that's more like a first-person view, like you're there looking down the sight of the gun." --Utisz

David Wong, regarding Chicago
    Six centuries ago, the pre-Colombian natives who settled here named this region with a word which in their language means "the Mouth of Shadow". Later, the Iroquois who showed up and inexplicably slaughtered every man, woman and child renamed it "Seriously, Fuck that Place". When French explorer Jacques Marquette passed through the area he marked his map with a drawing of a brownish blob emerging from between the Devil's buttocks.

Type
    intp
    Eric and Amiya hava been on the road since 2006. http://www.worldbiking.info/wordpres...-world-biking/

Heinz Stucke has been on the road for 48 years http://www.heinzstucke.com/

Type
    INTP
    Read about Christopher McCandless, he did something similar. It's doable. What you'll probably wind up doing though is taking temporary jobs in cities, staying for a while, and then moving on. Going to Europe is less practical, but maybe possible? You'd not be able to make money online, because I don't think you would be able to open up a bank account you could easily withdraw from while over there. Buying a boat is completely impractical unless your parents are made of money.

I recommend travelling south, where it's warmer.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Osito Polar View Post
    Yes. Do you know how to sail? Are you handy to have on a boat? If not, maybe you'd like learning it.
    I don't, but yeah, I'd love to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by Osito Polar View Post
    If you don't want to learn tarot cards, learn any sort of entertainment that has small and easily transported props. You'll so well a place like Key West.
    I could play music, being a multi-instrumentalist and all. I hear busking can make good money.

Quote Originally Posted by Eponymous View Post
    Read about Christopher McCandless, he did something similar. It's doable. What you'll probably wind up doing though is taking temporary jobs in cities, staying for a while, and then moving on.
    Sounds good. what kind of job can allow that? I suppose being a traveling musician is doable, but could it be possible to be traveling programmer? Psychologist?
    I guess once I'm in my thirties or something I'll settle down somewhere and move every two years or so. I get bored so easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Eponymous View Post
    Going to Europe is less practical, but maybe possible? You'd not be able to make money online, because I don't think you would be able to open up a bank account you could easily withdraw from while over there.
    I should start by getting a French citizenship by working there for a while. I say Europe sounds awesome because of the diversity. The US doesn't really interest me. Besides, I can already speak French and English fluently, and I'm learning German and planning on learning Spanish sometime. Language won,t be a problem, anyway. And I'm sure I could find a way to have an international bank account, or a european one.

Type
    INTP
    Are you a member of the EU? It's going to be very difficult, if not impossible, to legally work and move around the EU if you're not.

What will you do if/when you need medical/dental care?
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that a problem.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    Are you a member of the EU? It's going to be very difficult, if not impossible, to legally work and move around the EU if you're not.

What will you do if/when you need medical/dental care?
    Can I... become a member?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyBard View Post
    Can I... become a member?
    If you get a French citizenship and passport you can.

Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyBard View Post
    I could play music, being a multi-instrumentalist and all. I hear busking can make good money.
    I remember a kid on national radio years ago talking about his busking at the Art Centre in Christchurch (particularly busy place on weekends). He said he was making $400 an hour (something I attributed to the advent of one and two dollar coins).

I got the feeling he was particularly good.