Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KNex vs Legos

Type
    INTP

KNex vs Legos

Toy-buying season is coming up again. I think I'm actually just going to stick with expansion packs of what my kid already has (primarily wooden train tracks and tinker toys), because I am a boring parent who likes to limit stimulation and because I feel like he still has a ways to go before he gets bored with them.

But I am beginning to look toward the future.

I know that legos are, like, the big big thing. I was never a lego kid myself, and that plus the fact that they are so very popular makes me automatically want to resist them.

They're a bazillion little bricks, and you snap them together, and... Meh. :/

What really strikes my fancy, though, are K'Nex.

I mean...

They just look so cool, so... industrial.

But since I never actually played with either of those as a kid, I'm only going off of intuition. Did anyone actually play with these (yourself or vicariously through offspring?)? Any thoughts?

The closest I got as a kid was an erector set. It was intimidating to me then, and actually it's still pretty intimidating...
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    I loved Legos as a kid. I never had KNex. I don't think they existed when I was a kid, or if they did I wasn't aware of them. The closest thing I had to them were Tinker Toys. Legos were way more fun than Tinker Toys.

Type
    INTP
    Definitely preferred KNex vs. Legos when I was a kid.

Type
    INXP
    I am a lagos guy.
    But your individuality and your present need will be swept away by change,
    and what you now ardently desire will one day become the object of abhorrence.
    ~ Schiller - 'Psychological Types'

Type
    INTP
    I totally would have bought myself KNex as a kid. Heh, I might even buy it for myself as an adult.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    I totally would have bought myself KNex as a kid. Heh, I might even buy it for myself as an adult.
    You should The sticks are tough and won't break easily. The joints tend to easily get lost though.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    Growing up all the weird aspy kids had k'nex.

facta non verba interprétation erronée's Avatar
    Type
    INxx

Smile

Building systems are where it's at. Good luck TeresaJ. If the kid craves greater complexity there's plenty of options.
    Quote Originally Posted by Limes View Post
    Jan Bonclay
    “If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.” ― Malcolm X

Married Mouth-breather JohnClay's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    BTW there's also a kind of mix of the two called Lego Znap:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Znap

With these parts you could make something similar to that pic:
    Last edited by JohnClay; 10-09-2017 at 07:03 AM.

Type
    INTP
    I definitely prefer lego...though K'Nex are fun, too.

That being said, I think the way to go with lego is to track down a bin of old second hand lego...because new sets don't have the same creative integrity that the old sets had.

Case in point, we started our collection for my son a few years back...just before he turned 3, and even after accumulating 5 or 6 sets, it was pretty tough to make something else besides what the sets were intended for. There are just too many custom parts for each of the models these days. When I was a kid, aside from different sets being different colours, they were made of the same parts...

...and don't be fooled by the Lego 'Creator' series, which is supposedly designed more for free building....you need to get a crap ton of sets in order to build anything cool, like a garage/building, or a vehicle that doesn't look like a rectangular cube with wheels. You can buy kits starting at around $20, with 200 or so pieces, up to boxes with like 1-2000 random pieces...but the problem with those, in my mind at least, is that lego has expanded their colour palette WAY too much....so, the kit we got with like 4-500 pieces, has way too many colours in it for the variety of pieces...so it is really tough to build something substantial, unless you're willing to make it rainbow coloured. The inlaws actually bought us a second set of the same pieces, and even with twice as many of each colour, it's still hard to make something awesome without having to make it rainbow coloured. I mean, there isn't enough pieces to even build a decent car that has a coloured stripe...you end up having to use multiple shades of each colour...which was never an issue, back when there were only like 6 colours to choose from (red, yellow, blue, green, white, black, clear, plus red and yellow 'lights', if I recall correctly)...now there are at least 4 shades of blue...and as many shades of yellow...and the grey that the new base plates are made with doesn't even match the old grey base plates...

...the new bulk sets also do not come with nearly enough standard 8 stud rectangular bricks...

Anyhow, those are my gripes with current lego sets. Tracking down used collections is the way to go...hit up some garage sales, or bug relatives who have bins of the stuff in storage from when their kids were little.

Lego has so many more expansion possibilities, too.

Mayka block tape = lots of cool possibilities...it's tape with lego-compatible studs...you can stick it anywhere, and build on walls, or upside down...makes for some fun possibilities.

There are also a ton of kickstarters and other projects that have lego-compatible bricks for making small machines and electrical circuits...bricks for doing basic programming and whatnot...

Another point: Lego is more durable than K'Nex, and the structures are a billion times more stable...I mean, with a lot of K'Nex stuff, it could be collapsed by a light breeze (especially for a rookie builder), whereas with lego, if something falls over, it's generally pretty easy to put back together. When my boy was just 3 years old, we built some towers that were 8 feet tall (a combination of Lego and Duplo, to be fair, but doesn't change the point).

I think over time, Lego also retains its value better...so 18 years down the road, you can throw it on ebay for a killing (there are sets that I bought as a kid for 10-20 dollars that sell for around a hundred, now...and they weren't even good sets).
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung