Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: KNex vs Legos

Type
    INTP
    I played with Knex the whole time as a kid. Lego seemed boring and so like, square. Always felt like I was supposed to build houses and shit. Knex could make swords or guns or cars or whatever. One year we built a rollercoaster:

I was literally a member of the Knex fan club.

Type
    INTP
    I had tinker toys and legos. I used both but preferred the legos. Still, tinker toys and string allowed me to turn my room into a complex playset for action figures.

The big advantage of Knex is they are less likely to stab your bare foot staggering to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Might be trading it for a slip and fall hazard though.
    For some, "how", not "why", is the fundamental unit of measure for curiosity. This divergence is neither parallel, nor straight. Where one might have a "why?-5" problem, it might only be a "how?-2" question. But then, there are also many things where the "why?" is immediately obvious but the "how?" is best measured in centuries of perpetual wonder. Both approaches have their drawbacks.

If one is superior, the other is unaware of it.

--Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

Type
    IsTP
    I remember trying to take apart some legos for like 30 min. Good times. Hard to do when you have small weak hands.

Type
    INtP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirac View Post
    I played with Knex the whole time as a kid. Lego seemed boring and so like, square. Always felt like I was supposed to build houses and shit. Knex could make swords or guns or cars or whatever. One year we built a rollercoaster:

I was literally a member of the Knex fan club.
    They have an updated rollercoaster that is flippin HUGE, with a little functioning motor and car. A friend of mine had it, definitely looks badass.

Re: the OP .I never played with knex. It seems like the building system is a bit more complex than legos. This can be a pro or con, depending on the perspective. You may appreciate the heightened intellectual challenge for him. However, since the building system is a little more complicated, you may need to play it with him more for him to understand. I haven't looked at the knex sets too extensively, but they seem to have a higher recommended start age for them if I remember correctly.

At home, we have a marble run with assorted pieces and different ways to assemble. Oldest played with it about a year ago--he would have been frustrated trying to build anything on his own, but loved building togehter. Conversely Legos have less diversity in pieces but even the 18 month old has figured out how to snap them together and build little walls and plays with it independently.

We do lego duplo sets exclusively....waiting on the day when the youngest doesn't want to try to eat everything.