Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: KNex vs Legos

Type
    INTP
    Good points, gentlemen.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    Legos can burn in hell.

A friend got the kiddo a lego kit for his birthday. He spent thirty minutes by himself sitting quietly, putting it together from start to finish. Brilliant.

But now... Any time he wants to play with the thing, he needs my help to pull the pieces apart. He wants to follow the instructions but he won't take the time to detach and sort everything so he can never find the right piece he needs.

Even if my kid weren't a clingy, whiny, needy little brat half the time, he would still need my help to take apart the pieces.

They can go straight to hell.

Type
    istj
    This isn't helpful as it's too late (unsolicited) advice, but you could've pretended you weren't strong enough to take them apart the first time he asked
    flat tire ferarri

Type
    INTP
    When I was in Primary school and guy came out to run a Knex challenge competition, I remember because they only asked the boffins in class to do it (which included me).

Ironically, I can't remember if I built anything, as the memory turns blank after being told about the challenge.

If that was Knex brand, they've been around for a while.
    All truth passes through three stages:

First, it is ridiculed.
    Second, it is violently opposed.
    Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

Cooler than Jesus
    Type
    intp
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    Legos can burn in hell.

A friend got the kiddo a lego kit for his birthday. He spent thirty minutes by himself sitting quietly, putting it together from start to finish. Brilliant.

But now... Any time he wants to play with the thing, he needs my help to pull the pieces apart. He wants to follow the instructions but he won't take the time to detach and sort everything so he can never find the right piece he needs.

Even if my kid weren't a clingy, whiny, needy little brat half the time, he would still need my help to take apart the pieces.

They can go straight to hell.
    When I was a kid, I'd take my legos apart by throwing the construction off the balcony and letting them shatter into pieces on the floor below. It's surprisingly effective.

Now we know... Asteroids Champion ACow's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I never really had lego as a kid, but plenty of blocks and mobilo (though I also remember being introduced to my father's meccano set during a trip to the grandparents).

My friend down the road had lego. Aside from the cannons in the pirate set, and this may just be the i wasn't brought up with it effect, i never really had any desire for them and pictured them as boring.

Again, as a bit of possibly wrong post fact analysis, maybe it's because the marketing of lego is to sell them in established sets and models. Whereas my blocks and mobilo were all free form. My toys were about lack of structure and making what you wanted, lego always came across as predefined.

Actually, that's not entirely true. I remember having a small space set (I think I might have gotten it with a happy meal or birthday party gift our somesuch) , which I thought was cool because of the fluorescent effect that was on the beams/ lights/ visor. I think I used some of them as swords

Type
    INTP
    You can use Legos to pry Legos apart...like stick another piece on top but hanging off to the side or something...pretty easy. If that fails, Lego does have a special lever piece...usually it's orange. It comes free with most of the larger sets.

The advantage of the pieces sticking together well is obviously the superb stability of the builds.

It'll also get easier over time to take them apart.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INTP
    For grownups who used to play with legos: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=3d+mechan...ref=nb_sb_noss
    Insults are effective only where emotion is present. -- Spock, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" Stardate 3468.1.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. -- Aristotle

This SEP field is glorious!

Type
    istj
    flat tire ferarri

Type
    INTP
    Heh.

Kiddo got his first official K'Nex set:

We accidentally got one with tiny pieces. At first I tried to just give him the pieces with no instructions so he could play with them freestyle. Kiddo threw a fit. So I finally had to get out the instructions so kiddo could make a specific thing.

He definitely needed help with it. However, he still did it mostly on his own. Only had a couple of meltdowns.

I don't mind, though... because K'Nex are badass. He played with this plane for hours.

New rules for K'Nex, devised by the kiddo and myself:

1. Organize all the pieces before you start.
    2. If you start to get frustrated, take a drink or snack break.
    3. If you have to go to the bathroom, you can put the pieces down and go to the bathroom, then come back and keep playing.

[4. The kiddo didn't agree to this one, but I'm going for it anyway: No K'Nex after dinner. It's ok to put it down and come back to it another day.]
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.