Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KNex vs Legos

Type
    INFP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I haven't played with Legos in a long time but I browse them every once in a while if I'm killing time in a superstore. They seem to be a device for marketing Hollywood franchises at this point. Almost everything is Marvel or Star Wars or whatnot save for a few of the city ones they've had since I was a kid. I don't know if it would affect a budding engineer to build something from a cinematic Universe vs a generic one. I feel conflicted having been obsessed with Ninja Turtles as a kid and turning out fine but also resenting how these vapid Intellectual Properties seem to pervade everything nowadays. Maybe the most important question for a parent, "which one hurts more to step on in the dark?"

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyJungle View Post
    I haven't played with Legos in a long time but I browse them every once in a while if I'm killing time in a superstore. They seem to be a device for marketing Hollywood franchises at this point. Almost everything is Marvel or Star Wars or whatnot save for a few of the city ones they've had since I was a kid. I don't know if it would affect a budding engineer to build something from a cinematic Universe vs a generic one. I feel conflicted having been obsessed with Ninja Turtles as a kid and turning out fine but also resenting how these vapid Intellectual Properties seem to pervade everything nowadays. Maybe the most important question for a parent, "which one hurts more to step on in the dark?"
    Unfortunately the licensing for Ninja Turtles is with Mega Blox
    As a kid I made some freaking awesome Batmobiles, and X-Men, and Spider-Man characters and so on and so forth...kind of takes away some of the magic to be able to just buy a proper set for those things, now.

And the City Lego series has new sets added all the time...definitely not the same as the sets from when you were a kid...but now I realize that you may have just meant that it's the same series, not the same sets.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

Type
    INFP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Robcore View Post
    As a kid I made some freaking awesome Batmobiles, and X-Men, and Spider-Man characters and so on and so forth...kind of takes away some of the magic to be able to just buy a proper set for those things, now.

And the City Lego series has new sets added all the time...definitely not the same as the sets from when you were a kid...but now I realize that you may have just meant that it's the same series, not the same sets.
    I've damn near bought some of these City Lego sets for myself. eg this one (Bank Money Transfer):

Ultimately I'm too cheap. Legos certainly aren't.

Glimpses do ye seem to see of that mortally intolerable truth; that all deep, earnest thinking is but the intrepid effort of the soul to keep the open independence of her sea; while the wildest winds of heaven and earth conspire to cast her on the treacherous, slavish shore?

Type
    INTP
    "Legos are the best, for sure. Here are 5000 reasons not to buy legos..."

I think the marketing barrage that accompanies legos is in itself enough reason not to buy them.

So far the best argument in their favor is that the structures are very sturdy.
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    Also I kind of like the zen feeling of building something temporary and then starting all over again...
    Too bad, Lady Une. You were far too lenient.
    As a soldier, yes. But as a civilian I lived an austere life.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    "Legos are the best, for sure. Here are 5000 reasons not to buy legos..."

I think the marketing barrage that accompanies legos is in itself enough reason not to buy them.

So far the best argument in their favor is that the structures are very sturdy.
    Well, they're reasons not to start with new lego...a foundation of old lego is best...(and seriously, it's amazing how many people have basements/attics full of the stuff if you start looking).
    ...and to be fair, the new pieces allow for some cool building options...but generally it's hard to amass enough pieces in enough variety to build cool off-instruction-book stuff if you only have new sets.

Also, I understand the zen thing...and you still get that with lego...that is, if you want it. If you build something spectacular, you can keep it for a while, too. With K'Nex, the structures take up a lot more room...so if you don't have a large space for building, you may end up having to destroy your kids' creations just because they're in the way.
    ...the origin of emotional sickness lay in people’s belief that they were their personalities...
    "The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense, not between right and wrong." ~Carl Jung

I've only ever played with the traditional lego blocks and some generic Kinex sets. Both were fun time killers, but neither ever gave me any real satisfaction in results. They would never do what I really wanted them to do. Erector, on the other hand, was freaking awesome when I was a kid. I dreamed of having a giant toy box of nothing but erector set pieces at my disposal as a kid. Moving parts are key for me, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatloveihave View Post
    I don't find you a potential threat to human society, you're not crazy. Feces.

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    I'd go with Lego just so I could steer the kid towards Lego Mindstorms that I could steal from him later.

Type
    INTP

I was all about spaceships in my day. You can make some pretty cool looking shit with the right parts/enough lego pieces.
    But your individuality and your present need will be swept away by change,
    and what you now ardently desire will one day become the object of abhorrence.
    ~ Schiller - 'Psychological Types'

Type
    INTP
    Legos strike me as having more flexibility. Just the traditional kind. The variety of blocks and sizes which can go together any which way. Knex strikes me as a bit more limiting, but I am sure either would appeal.