Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Anyone not drink water?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by MuseedesBeauxArts View Post
    Disclaimer: I only read the last two posts.

Electrolytes aren't one thing, though. Horatio is talking specifically about sodium, which is one of many electrolytes. Low sodium can happen with water intoxication, which is serious if you can disrupt your body's balance enough to get there (it's pretty hard to do, usually requires a marathon, a death in the family, or something along those lines). Other electrolytes (not sodium but related) play more into smooth muscle function, which could play a role in constipation.

In other words: you can both be right! Everybody hug!
    I'm talking about sodium too, what I read about this mentioned low sodium (well also potassium but mostly sodium) as an element leading to constipation. Is your professional POV that lack of sodium is irrelevant to constipation?

Edit: To break it down, the connection between sodium and constipation is that if you go low-sodium while overhydrating, your body can suffer an electrolyte imbalance and try to recalibrate by shedding water, up to the point where you don't have enough water in the body to properly perform functions like pooping, you just begin to pee out the water you drink while your body tries to recalibrate by shedding water weight.
    Last edited by Madrigal; 10-12-2017 at 12:46 AM.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Edit: To break it down, the connection between sodium and constipation is that if you go low-sodium while overhydrating, your body can suffer an electrolyte imbalance and try to recalibrate by shedding water, up to the point where you don't have enough water in the body to properly perform functions like pooping, you just begin to pee out the water you drink while your body tries to recalibrate by shedding water weight.
    I shouldn't have gotten into this!

You are essentially describing tea and toast syndrome or beer potomania (low sodium while overhydrating)--you are not consuming enough salt to help excrete all of the fluid you are drinking (water follows salt), and so your sodium drops. However, the recalibration just takes you back to normal (you eat salt, your body can shed water). I am not aware of any stage of this process significantly intersecting with constipation. It could, however, overlap with use of certain diuretics, which are constipating and also drive down sodium. Associated, but not causal. As Horatio said, other symptoms in hyponatremia typically predominate, like confusion.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by MuseedesBeauxArts View Post
    I shouldn't have gotten into this!

You are essentially describing tea and toast syndrome or beer potomania (low sodium while overhydrating)--you are not consuming enough salt to help excrete all of the fluid you are drinking (water follows salt), and so your sodium drops. However, the recalibration just takes you back to normal (you eat salt, your body can shed water).
    The scenario is that you don't eat salt to recalibrate, but persist in low-sodium/overhydration (btw, just looked up tea and toast syndrome, I had never heard of it) - if you lose water after losing salt, the theory claims that the water you keep drinking doesn't contribute to softer stools but actually starts getting pissed away. Is that wrong? I'm trying to pinpoint which part you disagree with. A lot of dieters wonder why they get constipated if they are drinking a lot of water, so this explanation made intuitive sense to me when I read about it.

Type
    INTP
    The only electrolyte imbalance I know of that typically causes constipation is hypokalemia (not enough potassium) and that would be in the midst of severe nausea, palpitations, and progressive paralysis.

Type
    INTP
    If someone suddenly changes their lifestyle in terms of how much and what kind of fiber, how much fat, how active they are, etc, that can F up their GI system temporarily. Even then I would expect a lot of bloating and flatulence more than constipation. And it still has nothing to do with electrolytes.

What kind of crazy diet are these people on?

Quote Originally Posted by TeresaJ View Post
    What kind of crazy diet are these people on?
    Precisely. These Latin women, Maddy, WTF are they doing?!

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    I'll try to find the stuff I read when I have the time (I dunno if I'm gonna find it - I already tried), but I'm more inclined to believe an actual doctor I know than something I read online.

Type
    INTP
    Here are some physiology questions I suggest you look into and feel comfortable understanding before trying to find anything else.

What are the common causes of constipation?

What are electrolytes and their functions? What are the early signs of an imbalance?

What are the factors influencing elimination speed?

What is the role of the large intestine (colon)?

How is water absorbed?

What does your body get by slowing digestion? By speeding it? What can cause slow digestion? Absorption? What's the difference between digestion and absorption?

What has to occur to cause electrolyte imbalance? Easy or nah?

What is GFR and how is it altered?

What are the main factors influencing urine concentration and frequency?
    Don't remember changing this.