INTP
    I drink water all the time.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Grape Jelly View Post
    I also wipe my ass more than twice.
    You don't say...
    But your individuality and your present need will be swept away by change,
    and what you now ardently desire will one day become the object of abhorrence.
    ~ Schiller - 'Psychological Types'

Jazz peenist Snake Champion Grape Jelly's Avatar
    Type
    XNTX
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickTwist View Post
    You don't say...
    Sound fury

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    Too much dilutes the blood too much and has killed joggers.
    On a more everyday level, people who drink too much water are all perpetually constipated.

That's what you get when you wash out sodium and essential minerals from your body.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTP
    It's the best way for me to stay hydrated or rehydrate after losing a lot of fluids. I prefer natural to the stuff that they based the film Idiocracy on.

Type
    IXTP

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxx View Post
    I drink water all the time.
    So do I. Water and tea all the way, lots of it. Fizzy drinks actively gross me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    On a more everyday level, people who drink too much water are all perpetually constipated.

That's what you get when you wash out sodium and essential minerals from your body.
    Actually, that's incorrect – constipation is generally caused by a lack of fluids (and fibre, amongst other things), not an overabundance thereof. An electrolyte imbalance, which is really the phenomenon you're referring to, is caused by excessive exercise, illness or a poor diet.

In fact, you'd have to drink an extraordinarily large amount of water to achieve a significant loss of electrolytes, or hyponatremia – meaning several litres of it at once. Drinking a glass of water every hour or so will never have such detrimental effect.

Gassy ~ A 'torm is brew'n Catoptric's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    I use a reverse osmosis water purifier and reconstitute minerals using Concentrace and add food grade hydrogen peroxide, dispensed from a beer brewing bucket into glass bottles, or ferment with using additional Burton brewing salts to be bottled from carboys. I almost never drink water directly and will usually boil it in an electric kettle when making tea, or use in an espresso machine.

If I am not at the house I will take the tea with me or buy tea or mineral water, with the rare exception of soft drinks (or certain kinds of energy drinks.) I will have soft drinks on hand such as Blue Sky root beer, or San Pellegrino blood orange, Dr. Pepper with sugar, or Pepsi 1893, as I have a mini-fridge (the smallest kind available) that fits cans and is accessible from my computer.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    Actually, that's incorrect – constipation is generally caused by a lack of fluids (and fibre, amongst other things), not an overabundance thereof. An electrolyte imbalance, which is really the phenomenon you're referring to, is caused by excessive exercise, illness or a poor diet.
    Yeah, too little water can lead to constipation. So can drinking too much water and throwing your electrolytes off balance. One theory that's en vogue for dieters (especially women) is that there are a number of water pounds your body is holding onto because of the salt in the body, so you should drink a lot of water all the time while reducing sodium to make your body feel like it can let those pounds go. Those people are all constipated.
    Everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent. - Mao

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    Yeah, too little water can lead to constipation. So can drinking too much water and throwing your electrolytes off balance. One theory that's en vogue for dieters (especially women) is that there are a number of water pounds your body is holding onto because of the salt in the body, so you should drink a lot of water all the time while reducing sodium to make your body feel like it can let those pounds go. Those people are all constipated.

Did you even read my entire post or do you simply trust women's magazine advice over medicine?

Drinking water in non-abnormal quantities (i.e. less than several litres at a time) does not cause constipation. Neither does a low sodium diet.

In fact, both drinking sufficient water and consuming less (but not no) sodium is generally good for people.

As said – it is physically impossible to acquire hyponatremia (significant electrolyte loss leading to a grave imbalance) unless you drink several litres of water at once. And even if any of the women you mention did drink several litres of water at once, hyponatremia still is not the main cause of constipation. Constipation is down very, very low on the list of effects of hyponatremia.