Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone not drink water?

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Here's some stuff:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28065611

"The benefice of increasing water intake or daily physical exercise in the treatment of chronic constipation have a lack of evidence, except specific situations such as elderly, hospitalized, institutionalized, dehydrated people or people consuming fluids less than 500mL/day."

---

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27924798

"A 3-week treatment with 1 l/day of the sulfate-rich mineral water improved the frequency of bowel movements in subjects with FC compared with tap water; however, the difference was no longer significant after 6 weeks. Further evaluation in rigorously designed clinical studies will be necessary to validate the impact of sulfate-rich natural mineral water on [functional constipation]."

---

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27478337

"...500 mL or less of water intake per day...were powerful predictors of [functional constipation] in young children"
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Dude, if you were intending to white-knight, this is backfiring spectacularly, as you're actually proving my point.

Quote Originally Posted by BarIII View Post
    Here's some stuff:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28065611

"The benefice of increasing water intake or daily physical exercise in the treatment of chronic constipation have a lack of evidence, except specific situations such as elderly, hospitalized, institutionalized, dehydrated people or people consuming fluids less than 500mL/day."
    The power of selective quotation.

I didn't claim that drinking more water would cure constipation; I merely asserted that drinking too much doesn't CAUSE it. Here you are citing a study that says increasing water intake can't CURE constipation, which is literally the opposite of what Madrigal was alleging.

Also, the abstract of mentioned paper also says that a lack of fibre is the leading cause of constipation, which is exactly what I was saying.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27924798

"A 3-week treatment with 1 l/day of the sulfate-rich mineral water improved the frequency of bowel movements in subjects with FC compared with tap water; however, the difference was no longer significant after 6 weeks. Further evaluation in rigorously designed clinical studies will be necessary to validate the impact of sulfate-rich natural mineral water on [functional constipation]."
    Not relevant to the discussion. I'll put it in easier terms for you:

Original assertion by Madrigal: Excess water consumption causes loss of electrolytes. Loss of electrolytes causes constipation.

Rebuttal: Excess water consumption does NOT cause significant loss of electrolytes unless you're drinking inhumane quantities of water within a very short amount of time. We're talking about quantities that would be severly uncomfortable if not impossible to ingest for most people. Also, loss of electrolytes per se does not cause constipation; at the very least, it isn't its prime cause. The study above even goes along with that when it says that the study (whose alleged effect doesn't even extend past six weeks) needs further evaluation for its results to be credible.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27478337

"...500 mL or less of water intake per day...were powerful predictors of [functional constipation] in young children"
    Proving my point of too little water = far greater likelihood of constipation, than from too much water.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    Dude, if you were intending to white-knight, this is backfiring spectacularly, as you're actually proving my point.
    I wasn't trying to help anyone. I just tried to pick out some of the most relevant things using this search.
    I will accept no further friend requests. This doesn't mean I don't love you or anything so don't be offended.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    I wasn't trying to help anyone. I just tried to pick out some of the most relevant things using this search.
    In that case your skimming and research skills apparently just happen to suck.

Type
    INTP
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    In that case your skimming and research skills apparently just happen to suck.
    It's all about water and constipation. What sucks, that I didn't find more that supports you? I'm pretty confident I quoted the most relevant things from the most promisingly titled articles, but I didn't go down the entire list. You're free to add stuff that I missed.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    It's all about water and constipation. What sucks, that I didn't find more that supports you? I'm pretty confident I quoted the most relevant things from the most promisingly titled articles, but I didn't go down the entire list. You're free to add stuff that I missed.
    No, you suck at research because you found nothing that would have contributed to the matter at hand.

Sod this, this is reminding me too much of work. Incompetence, academic incompetence everywhere.

I only drink brawndo, it's got electrolytes. That's what plants crave.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrigal View Post
    On a more everyday level, people who drink too much water are all perpetually constipated.

That's what you get when you wash out sodium and essential minerals from your body.
    Ummm.... No.

If you drink a fuck ton of water in a very short period of time, it can in fact dilute your blood and yes it can kill you. It does not "wash out" anything. The only reason you would lose minerals (as in excrete them, not just dilute them) would be if your kidneys were malfunctioning and/or if you were on diuretics.

You do have to drink a certain amount of fluid to survive. It doesn't have to be water. Water has the advantage of not being bad for you. Caffeine is a diuretic but people develop tolerance to it, so yeah you can definitely get by with mostly drinking coffee or tea. There are plenty of people in the US who drink nothing but soda... Or alcohol. There are many problems associated with getting all of your calories from drinking, but that's another discussion.

The less fluid you drink overall, the more likely you are to be constipated. You also increase your risk of kidney stones and UTIs.

Merry Christmas
    Type
    INFP
    I love this forum because its discussions about things like healthy water intake often start sounding just as edgy and fired up as its gun control debate :P

Type
    INTP
    LMAO

This thread needed a poll so we could all decide whose side we're on depending on who voted for what!