Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Quick, Healthy Eating on a Budget.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by interprétation erronée View Post
    Pssht, ectomorphs!

Here's a recipe for muscular active types that tastes good and sticks to the ribs.

Recipe: Slop

1 lb ground turkey/beef
    1 cup soy sauce
    1 cup worcestershire sauce
    1 packet of brown gravy
    1 cups rice
    1 rice cooker
    1 non-stick skillet
    1 spatula
    1 hefty appetite

Fry, mix, eat. Done.

Thank me later.
    With that much salt you probably don't even need to cook it

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    If you're not vegetarian, try frying and cooking with lard. It costs a fraction of both olive oil and butter and yields an incredibly rich taste.

Example:

Farmer's Breakfast
    - potatoes (firm, waxy kind)
    - lard
    - bacon (the cheapest will do fine)
    - half an onion
    - 1-2 eggs
    - salt, pepper, paprika
    - gherkins

Boil firm, waxy potatoes slices in salted water until almost done. (This can be done in advance to save time.) Heat lard in a skillet until it is very hot. Place boiled potato slices in skillet in one layer. While they are roasting, chop half an onion and some bacon. Sprinkle roast potatoes with pepper, salt and a pinch of paprika, then flip. (They will already be gorgeously crispy on one side.) Add chopped onion and bacon to the pan, but don't mix until the other side of the potatoes is crispy as well. Mix eventually, roast for another few moments and arrange it all on a plate. In the hot pan, quickly scramble an egg or two (this will literally ten seconds or less). Add the scrambled egg(s) to your plated potatoes. Garnish with parsley and grated cheddar cheese (optional). Serve with gherkins.

Delicious, hearty, with lots of fibre and quite a bit of protein. Whipped this up for lunch today and was quite taken aback by the rich flavour. I also prepped more boiled potatoes, chopped onion and bacon than I needed, so I can simply throw this together tomorrow for breakfast in 5-8 minutes.

Type
    INTP
    Every morning I put 2/3 cup oat flour in a blender bottle with a spoonful of instant coffee and a spoonful of splenda. I really like this quick breakfast, but it's not quite filling enough. I've been eating boiled eggs in the morning too. I have the oat flour shake again for lunch but I add a scoop of unflavored whey. I get the oat flour and whey from the bulk bins at Winco, they're very well-priced. Unfortunately, the last couple times I've been to Winco they have had no bulk oat flour and a sign saying the warehouse is out. Since I've come to rely on this stuff, I decided to order a cheap food processor so I can make my own. I should have done that a long time ago.

Now I'm also considering what else I can do with the food processor and how to improve my meal shakes. I immediately thought of almond flour and coconut flour. Both of these might make my meal shake more filling, although almonds are a bit expensive and unsweetened coconut isn't tasty. I'm also considering getting some maltodextrin and trying to make peanut flour. I have my budget in mind here, I would rather my ingredients be closer to $1/lb than $5/lb, and I also don't want it to taste gross. I want to stick with the blender bottle too because it's quick and easy to clean and reuse. Also, I have the option of loading dry ingredients into the blender bottle and carrying it with me if I won't have time to come home for lunch. This could become important for sticking to a healthy diet when I get a job. Peanuts are pretty cheap and tasty, so if I can find maltodextrin for a decent price that will probably work well.

Maltodextrin is just what I've seen recommended for mixing with fatty things to turn them into powder. I'm not a fan of its high glycemic index though.

Type
    INTP
    Unfortunately I couldn't find any maltodextrin at Winco. I did discover almond meal for only about $3.50/lb, which is significantly cheaper than almonds. But dry roasted peanuts are only about $1.50/lb and I can find maltodextrin online for just a little more than $2/lb, so I'm still gonna try to make my own powdered peanut butter. There was actually peanut butter powder in the bulk section at Winco, the kind that's defatted... and with added sugar :/

I'm getting way more protein than I need right now, like 250 grams/day, so I'm not gonna buy more whey when it runs out and I'm not gonna fret too much about the macros of almonds vs peanuts vs defatted peanut flour.

Interesting thing about the Winco bulk section: almond meal is cheaper than almonds, coconut flour is cheaper than coconuts, but oat flour is about $.70 more expensive per pound than oats if I buy a 25 lb bag. At the rate I've been going through oat flour I'll be saving myself like $.28 per day, which isn't bad.

I'm gonna experiment with using this food processor with vegetables too. I really wish I had a dehydrator so I could make powdered greens, but that's not in the budget right now. Store-bought powdered greens are ridiculously expensive.

edit: All the sources I'm seeing recommend tapioca maltodextrin for making fats into powder, but that stuff is way more expensive than plain old "maltodextrin" (which I'm assuming is from corn). I do see a blog post saying that tapioca flour will work somewhat, making a not-quite-perfect facsimile. I'm not sure whether I should order a five lb bag of corn maltodextrin or just use tapioca flour instead. Neither of these will be useful for any other purpose if they don't work, but the tapioca flour I could get in a small amount at least. I guess that's my answer. And I just got back from the store :/
    Last edited by pensive_pilgrim; 02-22-2018 at 04:08 AM.

Type
    xNxx

My Smoothie Findings

Green Smoothies

Aim for 6 oz of greens and 100-200 calories of fruit. Alternate greens, don't eat spinach or kale every day- the reason is because different vegetable groups contain different "anti-nutrients" that can be harmful in excess. It supposedly takes a LOT of overeating specific vegetables to create a problem, but it's good to rotate anyway for nutritional purposes.

Here's a rotation of 100-250 calorie recipes that I've found to be very effective and extremely easy. takes about a minute from opening the fridge to cleaning the unit:

spinach/apple
    kale/banana
    celery/pear
    lettuce/lemon/orange (with peel)

yeah the lettuce and lemon/orange is intense. use organic lemons or oranges if you're going to use the peel. the peel is very good for you and has stuff the meat doesn't, but they also absorb a lot of pesticide. you can also zest the whole damn thing if you can't do organic, but that's against my laziness.

banana will cover just about anything you try to juice. it's the choice, for instance, if you're trying to juice frozen broccoli.

All Other Smoothies

carrots, oats, peanut butter, coconut oil, chia seed, all kinds of nuts and seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, cashew, almond, peanuts) frozen berries, black beans, red beans (beans are great to replace protein powder), frozen pineapple, frozen mango, almond milk.

I'm trying cooked sweet potato tomorrow morning. You can juice raw sweet potato, it's very sweet but has a fairly indigestible anti-nutrient, that you might or might not be able to tolerate.

I proselytize because, after all my quests for halting my obesity, this has been the easiest way. I feel so full from eating two glasses of this stuff a day that it becomes very easy to stay within a caloric restriction. I haven't felt deprived after two months of sticking with it, and I've lost about 15 pounds. I just drink a smoothie in between my cups of coffee and then eat a normal meal. bam.

Oh, and it's also cheaper than eating a high protein diet to the same effect or processed food.

It'll make you shit your brains out at first, but your gut flora adapts.

Type
    INTP
    @stuck, what kind of blender do you have and how well does it work?

With my cheap food processor, my homemade oat flour is significantly grittier than store-bought. Actually the first time I made it, it was way too coarse and there would still be a blob of oats left in the bottle after drinking everything down. I ran this batch through for about another 60 seconds and it's much better now, still a little gritty but it all goes down smoothly enough. I think the GI is better though, it keeps me feeling full longer.

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    @stuck, what kind of blender do you have and how well does it work?
    factory refurb'd vitamix 5200, it cost about $250 and has a 5 year warranty. I've never known a blender before, but I can easily imagine I'll never want to use any other. I haven't tried to make flour in it, but I have made sunflower butter out of seeds. You can get a "dry container" with a different shaped blade that's suitable for flour and nut butter.

for the green smoothies, it turns the plant fiber into foam. It pulverizes the living fuck out of even small seeds like chia seeds. i never notice when i throw oats in it, and I've even been using steel cut oats because that's all we have right now. Apparently you can use it to make and heat up soup, because the blade speed makes enough friction to get it steaming.

if you wanted to make flour often, i'd search around to see if it's sufficient... i think that's probably one of the hardest jobs a blender can do. I'm fairly certain it would be able to. I guess the difference between it and the 100 dollar superblenders are that the blades pulverize instead of slicing- they're not sharp. it's all a very strong motor and a nice efficient mechanism.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck View Post
    factory refurb'd vitamix 5200, it cost about $250 and has a 5 year warranty. I've never known a blender before, but I can easily imagine I'll never want to use any other. I haven't tried to make flour in it, but I have made sunflower butter out of seeds. You can get a "dry container" with a different shaped blade that's suitable for flour and nut butter.

for the green smoothies, it turns the plant fiber into foam. It pulverizes the living fuck out of even small seeds like chia seeds. i never notice when i throw oats in it, and I've even been using steel cut oats because that's all we have right now. Apparently you can use it to make and heat up soup, because the blade speed makes enough friction to get it steaming.

if you wanted to make flour often, i'd search around to see if it's sufficient... i think that's probably one of the hardest jobs a blender can do. I'm fairly certain it would be able to. I guess the difference between it and the 100 dollar superblenders are that the blades pulverize instead of slicing- they're not sharp. it's all a very strong motor and a nice efficient mechanism.
    Yeah, that has a motor that's nearly three times as powerful as the one in my $30 food processor. I will just have to be fine with my gritty oat drinks until the day when I have enough income to justify spending more. My dream is to have my own Robot Coupe. Maybe I'll just build my own out of a lawnmower.

Type
    xNxx
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    I will just have to be fine with my gritty oat drinks until the day when I have enough income to justify spending more.
    you might also try the overnight oats thing as a way to prep them for your shakes- just leave them soaking in a jar with almond milk or whatever, it should soften them up to where they liquify pretty easily.

Is it that hard to cook a pot of quick oats for 5 minutes and throw some fruit in?