Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick, Healthy Eating on a Budget.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner

Quick, Healthy Eating on a Budget.

Share your recipes. Snacks, lunches, dinner, whatever. No expensive ingredients, if possible, and nothing that takes longer than 20 minutes to prepare (that's the challenge). Maximum efficiency on all three fronts – health, cost, speed – is the goal. Results should taste edible.

Tuna Cucumber Salad
    (150 kcal, 30g of protein)

Chop 150g cucumber, 1/2 small red onion, mix with 100g canned tuna (brine, drained), season with pepper and a dash of soy sauce. Done. Need some carbs? The salad also tastes nice on crisp bread.

Soba noodles with chicken and broccoli
    (388 kcal, 42g of protein)

Cook 140g of frozen broccoli in salted water. Pan-fry 140g of chicken (any cut), set aside. Remove broccoli from boiling water with slotted spoon, cook soba noodles in same water. Drain, mix with drained broccoli and diced roast chicken. Season with pan juices, salt and pepper. Done.

Red currant oatmeal chocolate chip muffins (to be used as dessert, a quick breakfast or mid-morning snack)
    (160 kcal, 5g of protein each - recipe makes 12 muffins)

Preheat oven to 180. Throw three ripe bananas, one egg, 60g honey, 180g non-fat Greek yoghurt, 25g coconut oil, a teaspoon of vanilla extract and a pinch of salt into a blender; blend. Mix 180g whole-wheat flour with half a table spoon of baking powder, sift into wet mixture, carefully mix. Gently fold in 80g red currents (or cranberries) and 50g chocolate chips. Fill into a 12-piece muffin pan, bake for 20-25 minutes. Done.

I've got more like these and might illustrate this thread with pictures if general interest exists. Let's see.
    Last edited by Horatio; 11-04-2017 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Spelling is difficult

Type
    INTP
    Add 1/3 cup whole oat flour and 2 cups water to a blender bottle. Shake. Drink. Repeat as necessary. This is the most efficient method I've found.

Type
    INTJ
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by pensive_pilgrim View Post
    Add 1/3 cup whole oat flour and 2 cups water to a blender bottle. Shake. Drink. Repeat as necessary. This is the most efficient method I've found.
    If you make that water milk or almond milk, perhaps reduce the amount a bit, and let it sit over night, you'll wake up to a decent instant breakfast you'll only need to top with berries, chocolate chips, peanut butter or honey (or all).

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    If you make that water milk or almond milk, perhaps reduce the amount a bit, and let it sit over night, you'll wake up to a decent instant breakfast you'll only need to top with berries, chocolate chips, peanut butter or honey (or all).
    Basically what I do with rolled oats. Cheap and delicious.

Reminder that squash is now in season in NA and in addition to being pretty damn cheap they can yield portions for the whole week. I had baked butternut squash recently.

-stab with a fork all over
    -microwave 2 minutes
    -now that it's a bit tender, chop up into pieces and scoop out the seeds (also peel if you care to, but it isn't necessary)
    -toss in olive oil, pepper and chili spice (or cinnamon)
    -throw in oven at 425F for 40 minutes, maybe turn them over once to prevent burning

Not something that gets done in an instant I guess but convenient nonetheless.

Recent discovery that might also be helpful: red wine vinegar as a substitute for lime juice. It's cheap and works well in a pinch to add acidity. Also, olive oil + rwv is the ultimate regular-use salad dressing base.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTP
    Yay! This is kind of the heart of my goal with my career. Combating the illusion that healthy eating is a hobby or luxury item.

Those who suffer the most are the lower SE classes. Lack of time, knowledge, and skill combined with the public perception that "better food" is "fancy, exotic, expensive" and often foreign pushes them to take quick, easy, and cheap which is often unhealthy convenience.

In reality, some of the best staples are the cheapest. Bags of brown rice, dry beans for example. Make them in bulk in a crock pot, learn freezing techniques and have them in serving sizes you can quickly grab, mix with a meat, a vegetable, anything.

Buy in season (it's cheapest, tastiest and most nutritious) and freeze what you can't use immediately. When cutting one onion/prepping a dish ingredient, cut all you will need for the week.

Every meal you make make some extra to have a single frozen dinner for later. Microwave reheating skills are worth learning. Learn to compare prices by weight at grocery store.

So many skills and strategies can be used to make familiar, cheap and healthy food that you can have on hand as fast as you can buy a cheeseburger, even in ways children can heat.
    Don't remember changing this.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by lethe
    Yay! This is kind of the heart of my goal with my career. Combating the illusion that healthy eating is a hobby or luxury item.
    I've thought about this problem a lot. In what form would such an initiative be most effective? I think some face-time is a necessary part of it.
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

"It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    Then I'd have to sit there and shovel it into my mouth with a spoon or something, instead of just drinking it down. No thanks. Peasants like me have been living on gruel for millennia, no need for all that fancy stuff.

Type
    INTP
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    I've thought about this problem a lot. In what form would such an initiative be most effective? I think some face-time is a necessary part of it.
    Yes. My big idea they already starting test running. What I'd like to do is have monthly classes/presentations for local families who receive SNAP benefits and give them an extra credit for attending. In which we feed the kids, discuss shopping strategies, basic freezing and bulk cooking skills, general nutrition knowledge of course, resources to fund the cheapest most nutritious crash food in that area and season, and simple recipes to throw together with minimal time and skill, ideally ones that are safe and easy enough for children to contribute.

Plus we could pass out sponsered kitchen supplies like microwave vegetable steamers and spatulas or freezer bags
    Don't remember changing this.

Wrap vitamin pills in little wads of flour and milk. I call them energy balls

wetback Space Invaders Champion Fitz's Avatar
    Type
    INFJ
    These are always the most depressing threads on the forum.

I miss the glory days at the old place with @rincon @Delilah and the food threads there.