Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 93

Thread: Quick, Healthy Eating on a Budget.

  1. #11
    schlemiel Faust's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,755
    Someone can always take the vacancy for Gratuitous, Delicious Eating and Fuck Your Budget
    "All my heroes are dead" - John Zorn

    "It's not selfish if you hate yourself"

  2. #12
    I like simple vegetable soups:
    https://smittenkitchen.com/2006/09/s...liflower-soup/ I've probably posted this before, but it's beyond simple. You can do with broccoli or zucchini or cauliflower, add some bread and cheese, and you're done. It also freezes well as it's a purée.
    There's also a red lentil soup with lemon from the NYTimes that I like a lot, same basic idea as above.

    To lethe's point, garbanzo beans freeze really well and are useful in pasta, Buddha bowls, hummus, all sorts of goodness! Lately, my freezer has had garbanzos, edamame beans for snacking, broiled eggplant, fresh pasta like tortellini, a baguette. These are the start of some excellent quick dishes.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Type
    ISFP
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,315
    Buy bottles of garbanzos already made.
    Poor some cut bacon, onion and garlic. Fry for a couple of minutes and you'll be happy. Peas work just as fine.

    Cook some rice. Fry some mix veggies with olive oil and then poor them to the rice.

    Pork pate, mix it with cottage cheese, poor some pepper, mayo, cumin and some salt. Spread it on some crackers or bread, I personally don't enjoy sandwich, unless it is toasted on a pan.

    Cook pasta. Cut some salmon. Fry green chilli (a little bit) and a bit of garlic, add pepper, olive oil and mix and with a bit of salt.

    All of these can take you max 15 minutes. Easy, tasty and quick.

    Oh forgot.

    Grab some bread, put some garlic dust, salt and cheese, hoven for 10 minutes. Magic. You can try all kinds of quick pizzas this same way.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by PureViolence View Post
    Buy bottles of garbanzos already made.
    I disagree. You lose both flavor and texture this way. I suppose the convenience vs expense may balance each other out.

  5. #15
    Meae Musae Servus Hephaestus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    13,575
    INTPx Award Winner
    I disagree because garbanzos taste like bad garbage.
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

    --Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by KOI View Post
    I disagree because garbanzos taste like bad garbage.
    I'll eat yours, then!

  7. #17
    Meae Musae Servus Hephaestus's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ceti Alpha V
    Posts
    13,575
    INTPx Award Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by MuseedesBeauxArts View Post
    I'll eat yours, then!
    This reminds me of the day I traded disgusting beets for delicious figs at a farmer's co-op. Except I don't have garbonzos and you didn't proffer so much as a kohlrabi in trade.

    I'd trade straight across for scarlet runner beans--in equivalent or better condition, meaning canned << dried < frozen << fresh.

    Unless you also have tahini, and I don't, in which case we should make and split a batch of hummus. If I have tahini and garbanzos I've no reason to share unless you're bringing flatbread--or olives. I'd trade some hummus for olives.

    Sound like a deal? In the unlikely event I end up with a bunch of garbonzos and you catch me before I leave them for the local seed loving fauna?
    Most of time, when people ask why something terrible happened, they don't realize they are looking for someone to blame.

    --Meditations on Uncertainty Vol ξ(x)

  8. #18
    Vacantly Occupied rincon's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    By the beach
    Posts
    690
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville View Post
    These are always the most depressing threads on the forum.


    I miss the glory days at the old place with @rincon @Delilah and the food threads there.


    We really tried.

    Quote Originally Posted by MuseedesBeauxArts View Post
    I like simple vegetable soups:
    https://smittenkitchen.com/2006/09/s...liflower-soup/ I've probably posted this before, but it's beyond simple. You can do with broccoli or zucchini or cauliflower, add some bread and cheese, and you're done. It also freezes well as it's a purée
    There's also a red lentil soup with lemon from the NYTimes that I like a lot, same basic idea as above.

    To lethe's point, garbanzo beans freeze really well and are useful in pasta, Buddha bowls, hummus, all sorts of goodness! Lately, my freezer has had garbanzos, edamame beans for snacking, broiled eggplant, fresh pasta like tortellini, a baguette. These are the start of some excellent quick dishes.
    smittenkitchen (hey... actually, I think you were the one to turn me on to that site back then) is pretty awesome. Also, you are right about garbanzo beans and KOI is wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by KOI View Post
    I disagree because garbanzos taste like bad garbage.
    No.

    But, you get a pass because tahini. Wait, wait, wait...

    You have a problem with beets? You either haven't had them prepared properly, and you're wrong.

  9. #19
    chaotic neutral shitpost
    Type
    xxxx
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    shrubland
    Posts
    7,615
    cheap & fast = using leftovers and eggs, & stir-fry, for me

    eggs scrambled into stir-fried kimchi & mushroom

    stir-fry any protein & veggie, over brown rice

    fried rice using leftover rice & whatever ingredients on hand

    chinese stir-fried tomato & egg (season with a dash of sweet, either oyster sauce or sugar, & no salt) over rice, noodles or any carb

    noodles topped with stir-fried veggie & any protein

    etc. quick, easy, extremely versatile, season to taste.

    recommended: top with fresh green onions. don’t fry that shit.
    WORKJIGGLYPLAY
    HARDxBUTTxHARD

  10. #20
    Hasta Siempre Madrigal's Avatar
    Type
    INTP
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mañana
    Posts
    8,455
    INTPx Award Winner
    Minced meat is pretty cheap. Cooks fast in a pan and you can mix it with other ingredients to make different meals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hephaestus View Post
    Heh. We've been here years now.

Similar Threads

  1. Quick one..
    By Sam_11 in forum The Pub
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-10-2017, 01:50 AM
  2. Quick, your house is on fire!
    By gator in forum The Pub
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-13-2015, 03:34 PM
  3. Foods you coax yourself to eat because they're healthy.
    By NK612 in forum Health & Fitness
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-29-2014, 06:54 PM
  4. I want to live to 100 and be healthy, help!
    By Phil P in forum Health & Fitness
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-29-2014, 05:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •